The Coming of Taulia

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hoover won pretty big, but Tua had a valiant effort for Thompson in a losing cause.

Threw 4 TDs. Had several passes dropped. Hoover also made some good strips on passes that were thrown perfectly. WRs could / should have held on, but Hoover played good D.

Thompson's D just couldn't stop Hoover's QB, Robby Ashford. Ashford is a junior, and looked really, really good. He's currently rated 4*, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a fifth by his senior year. He also has a superior supporting cast. There's a reason the Birmingham area refers to HHS as Hoover University.

Bad news is that it's widely believed that he's a heavy Auburn lean. I think there's a family connection there somewhere.

Other good news unrelated to Taulia -- Hoover's PK is Will Reichard, an Alabama commit. He nailed a 45 yarder, right down the pipe, with plenty of distance to spare. Don't know if high school PKs still use a tee or not. If there is one, it's a lot shorter than it used to be. I didn't see them all, but announcers said he put all of his KOs in the end zone, most of them deep, and one or two completely out on the fly -- and there were a lot of them, what with Thompson's defensive difficulties.

Thompson beat Hoover last year in the regular season, on a 99-yard drive, scoring on the last play. But then lost to them in the playoffs, in a convincing beat-down. Hoover is to Alabama high school football what Alabama is to college. They don't lose much, and they almost never lose twice in a row to the same team.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Ashford is good but I'd take Taulia over him any day of the week. He and his brother are going to light it up in Tuscaloosa for at least the next five years and it is going to be fun to watch.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hoover won pretty big, but Tua had a valiant effort for Thompson in a losing cause.

Threw 4 TDs. Had several passes dropped. Hoover also made some good strips on passes that were thrown perfectly. WRs could / should have held on, but Hoover played good D.

Thompson's D just couldn't stop Hoover's QB, Robby Ashford. Ashford is a junior, and looked really, really good. He's currently rated 4*, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a fifth by his senior year. He also has a superior supporting cast. There's a reason the Birmingham area refers to HHS as Hoover University.

Bad news is that it's widely believed that he's a heavy Auburn lean. I think there's a family connection there somewhere.

Other good news unrelated to Taulia -- Hoover's PK is Will Reichard, an Alabama commit. He nailed a 45 yarder, right down the pipe, with plenty of distance to spare. Don't know if high school PKs still use a tee or not. If there is one, it's a lot shorter than it used to be. I didn't see them all, but announcers said he put all of his KOs in the end zone, most of them deep, and one or two completely out on the fly -- and there were a lot of them, what with Thompson's defensive difficulties.

Thompson beat Hoover last year in the regular season, on a 99-yard drive, scoring on the last play. But then lost to them in the playoffs, in a convincing beat-down. Hoover is to Alabama high school football what Alabama is to college. They don't lose much, and they almost never lose twice in a row to the same team.
Two things:

1. Ashford is supposed to have deep Bama roots. Had a family member play for Bama recently (defensive player IIRC). I understand he's grown up a BAMA fan; not the other way around.

2. HS kickers don't use tees on fgs.

FWIW, I think the Barn would love Ashford for the offensive system. But, I hope he doesn't go there because I think he could do some damage in that system.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
How did he do last night?
He looked very good. He's almost just as accurate as Tua. If he had some help they win that game. To top it off it was 7-0 Hoover before he even touched the ball. Kid returning the punt made a boneheaded play trying to catch a punt with his back turned to the play on like his own 1-2 yard line. Of course he muffs it and Hoover recovers it.

4 TD’s and over 400 yards but he doesn’t play defense; they couldn’t stop Hoover U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep they couldn't do much except for the 3rd quarter when they almost caught Hoover.

Ashford is a junior, and looked really, really good. He's currently rated 4*, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a fifth by his senior year. He also has a superior supporting cast. There's a reason the Birmingham area refers to HHS as Hoover University.
I don't think he's ready for a 5th star yet, but I agree it could happen before his Senior season is over. I just don't think we get him with Taulia and Tyson already on board and I wouldn't blame him.

4Q Basket Case said:
Don't know if high school PKs still use a tee or not.
They still have the option to use the tee. Most of the kickers that are recruited these days won't use one so coaches have some decent film on them.

Ashford is good but I'd take Taulia over him any day of the week. He and his brother are going to light it up in Tuscaloosa for at least the next five years and it is going to be fun to watch.
Yea Taulia is just too good like his brother (I think Tua is better) to pass up. I just truly think Ashford goes elsewhere even if his heart is here.

FWIW, I think the Barn would love Ashford for the offensive system. But, I hope he doesn't go there because I think he could do some damage in that system.
They still have the option to use a tee in high school or at least they do in Alabama. It's just most top place kickers don't use them as it helps them in recruiting and game film.

As for Ashford I agree. They have to be foaming at the mouth over him because he is built for that system. I wouldn't want him there, that's for sure.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Taulia went OFF last night going 31 for 42 for 507 yards and 4TD's!!!!

His stats after 3 games are now:

80 of 114 (70%) for 1,146 yards and 13 TD's.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Two things:

1. Ashford is supposed to have deep Bama roots. Had a family member play for Bama recently (defensive player IIRC). I understand he's grown up a BAMA fan; not the other way around.

Thanks for the correction. Since the post, I've heard similar sentiments elsewhere. Glad I'm wrong on this one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ya'll.... Wanna hear something funny? LSU Board are saying they are making big push for Tauila to flip to LSU from Alabama....
I am sure that they are making a push, and wasting their efforts. That family is tight. But every coach with a brain has to be trying to land Tualia right now.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
LSU can push all they want but the family will keep him at Bama. Tua will go pro after next year and then we shall have a competition like no other.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
LSU can push all they want but the family will keep him at Bama. Tua will go pro after next year and then we shall have a competition like no other.
The family is serious about keeping the boys together... and to have a chance to make history at Alabama... Rare and we probably won't see that for long long time.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It’s a long way until signing day but I don’t get a great feeling hearing the comments by Taulia.

Speaking of comments:

“That’s the thing that I like about Alabama,” Tagovailoa told 247Sports. “They know that I’m committed there. They’d support me if I were to go somewhere else. It’s like family over there.”

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It’s a long way until signing day but I don’t get a great feeling hearing the comments by Taulia.

Speaking of comments:

“That’s the thing that I like about Alabama,” Tagovailoa told 247Sports. “They know that I’m committed there. They’d support me if I were to go somewhere else. It’s like family over there.”
Ummm…..Go to LSU or UT ? I`m not so sure about that.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Everyone is asking the wrong question. Do any of you think Taulia will split the family into different states ?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.