Link: The purchase of an Alabama politician...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

This is a perfect microcosm of politics in the U.S. at both the State and Federal levels. Anyone who votes for a Democrat or a Republican at the State or Federal level is basically bending over, pointing to this article, and saying "please, please give it to me harder!"

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Good read. Not surprised. The reach of the Drummond Co. is known in these neck of the woods quite well. Although it seemed recently their influence was waning due to a decline in coal. I’m sure they wanted to influence the EPA in anyway they could..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I thought the thread title was appropriate to link this story. Senator Shelby is in Russia to celebrate the fourth of July. He attended a meeting full of Russians... the GOP Senators asked to not let the American press have access. So you can follow the link to Russian tv to see what Shelby didn't want you to see.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/ha...g-grandson-stalin-confidante/?comments=disqus
i am sure this will be blaring from real patriot's speakers all week without a hint of irony

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Greenwood is violating the flag code by wearing it as clothing. He is just like the anthem kneelers.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Greenwood is violating the flag code by wearing it as clothing. He is just like the anthem kneelers.

OK, Greenwood's wearing the flag, and it's a violation of the flag code.

Whereas the kneelers are protesting -- near as I can tell....I haven't heard anybody concisely articulate the reason -- the fact that the country has flaws.

And those two positions are "just like" one another? How's that?

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
OK, Greenwood's wearing the flag, and it's a violation of the flag code.

Whereas the kneelers are protesting -- near as I can tell....I haven't heard anybody concisely articulated the reason -- the fact that the country has flaws.

And those two positions are "just like" one another? How's that?
they have articulated the reasons behind their kneeling plenty

Eric Reid: Why Colin Kaepernick and I Decided to Take a Knee

In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police. The posts on social media deeply disturbed me, but one in particular brought me to tears: the killing of Alton Sterling in my hometown Baton Rouge, La. This could have happened to any of my family members who still live in the area. I felt furious, hurt and hopeless. I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what or how to do it. All I knew for sure is that I wanted it to be as respectful as possible.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have to say Eric Reid's reason is clear. The goal is unachievable, but his protest against police shooting black people has a unambiguous background.

But the protesters as a whole, including Colin Kaepernick (sp?) are far less clear.

A Google search on "what are the anthem kneelers protesting" turned up the following article:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-appearances/what-will-taking-the-knee-mean-now

According to the kneelers interviewed in the article, it variously means peace, power, unity, and a protest against Donald Trump.

At the end, even Kaepernick says it's against, "structural disenfranchisement." I'm hard-pressed to think of a more vague reason -- it can mean pretty much anything the protester doesn't like.

So, while Eric Reid may have a clearly articulated reason for his protest, the group as a whole (including its founder) really doesn't seem to.

But back to the original question -- how is Lee Greenwood wearing the flag just like being an anthem kneeler?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My comment was not intended to be taken seriously. But I hear people say the kneelers are dishonoring the flag because the code (which is not a law) says you should stand and salute the flag. I was just pointing out Greenwood is also violating the code.

To be honest, neither bother me at all.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have to say Eric Reid's reason is clear. The goal is unachievable, but his protest against police shooting black people has a unambiguous background.

But the protesters as a whole, including Colin Kaepernick (sp?) are far less clear.

A Google search on "what are the anthem kneelers protesting" turned up the following article:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-appearances/what-will-taking-the-knee-mean-now

According to the kneelers interviewed in the article, it variously means peace, power, unity, and a protest against Donald Trump.

At the end, even Kaepernick says it's against, "structural disenfranchisement." I'm hard-pressed to think of a more vague reason -- it can mean pretty much anything the protester doesn't like.

So, while Eric Reid may have a clearly articulated reason for his protest, the group as a whole (including its founder) really doesn't seem to.

But back to the original question -- how is Lee Greenwood wearing the flag just like being an anthem kneeler?
yeah, we've gone through this on the other thread plenty. a big part of the response to the kneeling has been a coordinated attempt to de-legitamize their protest.

as to the original question, wearing the flag to make a buck can be seen as a sign of disrespect as much as kapernick's kneeling to make a statement can be seen as a sign of disrespect.

and i don't really care that lee greenwood wears a flag shirt. i just find his music offensive to the ear.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
yeah, we've gone through this on the other thread plenty. a big part of the response to the kneeling has been a coordinated attempt to de-legitamize their protest.

as to the original question, wearing the flag to make a buck can be seen as a sign of disrespect as much as kapernick's kneeling to make a statement can be seen as a sign of disrespect.

and i don't really care that lee greenwood wears a flag shirt. i just find his music offensive to the ear.
Well, there's something we can agree on. ;)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Read to the bottom. Strange was also on Balch and Bingham's payroll...

LINK
Good read. Not surprised. The reach of the Drummond Co. is known in these neck of the woods quite well. Although it seemed recently their influence was waning due to a decline in coal. I’m sure they wanted to influence the EPA in anyway they could..

Luther Strange may be the most disappointing politician in my experience.

He's wealthy -- a long-time partner in the Bradley Arant firm in Birmingham, he made a lot of money for an extended period of time. I don't know his personal family background, but I do know that he married into an old-line Mountain Brook family.

Now, all that doesn't make him a good person. But it does mean that he doesn't need money of dubious origin to live a pretty sporty lifestyle. You would logically think he'd be less prone to accepting what could be charitably called under-the-table money. If you're feeling less charitable, call it bribes.

But you would be wrong. In this case, logic fails. Apparently, his drug of choice is power, not money. And to get it, he's proven he'll totally sell out whatever shreds of principle he may once have had.

For those not familiar with Alabama's political cesspool: Strange was Alabama's Attorney General, and his office was conducting an investigation into myriad issues around Governor Robert Bentley's personal and professional conduct. Unrelated to that, but during the same time period, Jeff Sessions was chosen to be Donald Trump's US Attorney General. That left one of Alabama's US Senate seats open.

The Love Guv named Strange to fill the seat, and Strange's AG office miraculously and simultaneously dropped the investigation.

Shortly thereafter, Bentley resigned in disgrace, former Lt. Governor Kay Ivey took over, and she called a special election for the senate seat. Note: That's a bit unusual in that the normal process is for the new senator to serve out the term, which in this instance had roughly three years to go. I've always wondered whether Ivey did that because of the taint on the legitimacy of the appointment, but to my knowledge, she's never explained herself on the point.

Anyway, there was a large Republican field, and Strange and Roy Moore ended up in a runoff. Moore won the runoff, mainly on the strength of a hard core of supporters and the general disgust with the way Strange clearly sold his soul for the seat.

Fortunately for us all, multiple allegations of sexual misconduct / harassment of much younger girls surfaced, and Democrat Doug Jones narrowly defeated Moore.

Here's the irony as far as Strange is involved: There's a good chance that, if he had continued with the investigation of Bentley, he'd have won Sessions' old seat in the next election, whenever that might have been. That was the first instance I'm aware of him doing something just jaw-droppingly stupid. And he dang near hung us with Roy Moore in the process. Compared to that buffoon (Moore), Donald Trump has the presence, tact, and statesmanship of Henry Kissinger.

And now this -- payments from Balch of $50K (that we know of, anyway). $50K? Really? At the Bradley firm, his partner draw would have approached that on a monthly basis. Talk about selling what remains of your virtue cheap.

Before all this, I honestly thought Luther Strange had a chance to be the New South politician Alabama hasn't had yet. What an incredibly disillusioning disappointment.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He's wealthy -- a long-time partner in the Bradley Arant firm in Birmingham, he made a lot of money for an extended period of time. I don't know his personal family background, but I do know that he married into an old-line Mountain Brook family.

Now, all that doesn't make him a good person. But it does mean that he doesn't need money of dubious origin to live a pretty sporty lifestyle. You would logically think he'd be less prone to accepting what could be charitably called under-the-table money. If you're feeling less charitable, call it bribes.

But you would be wrong. In this case, logic fails. Apparently, his drug of choice is power, not money. And to get it, he's proven he'll totally sell out whatever shreds of principle he may once have had.

For those not familiar with Alabama's political cesspool: Strange was Alabama's Attorney General, and his office was conducting an investigation into myriad issues around Governor Robert Bentley's personal and professional conduct. Unrelated to that, but during the same time period, Jeff Sessions was chosen to be Donald Trump's US Attorney General. That left one of Alabama's US Senate seats open.

The Love Guv named Strange to fill the seat, and Strange's AG office miraculously and simultaneously dropped the investigation.

Shortly thereafter, Bentley resigned in disgrace, former Lt. Governor Kay Ivey took over, and she called a special election for the senate seat. Note: That's a bit unusual in that the normal process is for the new senator to serve out the term, which in this instance had roughly three years to go. I've always wondered whether Ivey did that because of the taint on the legitimacy of the appointment, but to my knowledge, she's never explained herself on the point.

Anyway, there was a large Republican field, and Strange and Roy Moore ended up in a runoff. Moore won the runoff, mainly on the strength of a hard core of supporters and the general disgust with the way Strange clearly sold his soul for the seat.

Fortunately for us all, multiple allegations of sexual misconduct / harassment of much younger girls surfaced, and Democrat Doug Jones narrowly defeated Moore.

Here's the irony as far as Strange is involved: There's a good chance that, if he had continued with the investigation of Bentley, he'd have won Sessions' old seat in the next election, whenever that might have been. That was the first instance I'm aware of him doing something just jaw-droppingly stupid. And he dang near hung us with Roy Moore in the process. Compared to that buffoon (Moore), Donald Trump has the presence, tact, and statesmanship of Henry Kissinger.

And now this -- payments from Balch of $50K (that we know of, anyway). $50K? Really? At the Bradley firm, his partner draw would have approached that on a monthly basis. Talk about selling what remains of your virtue cheap.

Before all this, I honestly thought Luther Strange had a chance to be the New South politician Alabama hasn't had yet. What an incredibly disillusioning disappointment.
He was a member of Bradley for about ten years. He was a registered lobbyist for the 80s and 90s for Sonat and another company. Even at Bradley, his duties were really lobbying-related. His taking money for what he did probably seemed totally natural to him...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I was told by someone working for a sitting Congress person during Summer 2016 that the replacement process would be within weeks of a replacement being named.

IIRC, Bentley tried to delay the election awhile. When Kay got in office, she moved it up.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I always thought Bentley should have said he wanted a caretaker that wouldn’t run for a full term. If he does that, I think Strange wins the seat. Or we might be getting ready for a Strange-Ivey runoff for governor.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.