QB transfers altering college football's landscape because 'culture has changed'

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
“I think the culture has changed a little bit,” said Alabama coach Nick Saban. “There was a time when it was sacrilegious to transfer, to leave your team.”

It’s led to the near extinction of a certain type of college player: the career backup. Once a roster staple, senior quarterbacks who begin their careers on scholarship and stay with the same program through four years of eligibility without ascending to the starting role are now the sport’s rarest breed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ltering-college-football-landscape/743514002/

The game is changing rapdily now. I wonder what it will look like in ten years?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Quarterback transfers altering college football's landscape because 'culture has

“I think the culture has changed a little bit,” said Alabama coach Nick Saban. “There was a time when it was sacrilegious to transfer, to leave your team.”

It’s led to the near extinction of a certain type of college player: the career backup. Once a roster staple, senior quarterbacks who begin their careers on scholarship and stay with the same program through four years of eligibility without ascending to the starting role are now the sport’s rarest breed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ltering-college-football-landscape/743514002/

The game is changing rapidly now. I wonder what it will look like in ten years?
Many years ago I talked with the Birmingham Stallions Quarterback. CLIFF STOUDT...
Very good Quarterback.
Cliff sat on the bench for something like 13 years playing for the Green Bay Packers.
Cliff had the misfortune to play behind a great QB who was tough as nails. (Terry Bradshaw) Cliff was a great QB for the Birmingham Stallions.
Cliff attributed his skill and longevity to playing behind Bradshaw. Cliff may have developed calluses on his back side, but was never really injured playing for the Packers.
Cliff Stoudt was willing to do what today's QBs don't want to do.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Quarterback transfers altering college football's landscape because 'culture has

Many years ago I talked with the Birmingham Stallions Quarterback. CLIFF STOUDT...
Very good Quarterback.
Cliff sat on the bench for something like 13 years playing for the Green Bay Packers.
Cliff had the misfortune to play behind a great QB who was tough as nails. (Terry Bradshaw) Cliff was a great QB for the Birmingham Stallions.
Cliff attributed his skill and longevity to playing behind Bradshaw. Cliff may have developed calluses on his back side, but was never really injured playing for the Packers.
Do you mean the Pittsburgh Steelers? Because otherwise I’m completely lost

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I became lost when he called Stoudt a very good quarterback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I became lost when he called Stoudt a very good quarterback.

I thought he was pretty good with the Stallions.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

There are people who are content to play second fiddle for the $$$ benefits and security. Nascar has some of those, called backmarkers or something, and they always run a few laps and have some kind of "trouble" like a ball joint or electrical problem. Jimmy 'Smut' Means used to do that. He said he could use the same car and engine for most of the year if he finished 38 or worse. His expenses were low because he didn't have a pit crew-- he didn't need one. He used a few local pickups, mostly volunteers who go in free of charge.

He said it was easier than working a real job and paid better too. Some people can have a good career in sports without being a household name.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

There are people who are content to play second fiddle for the $$$ benefits and security. Nascar has some of those, called backmarkers or something, and they always run a few laps and have some kind of "trouble" like a ball joint or electrical problem. Jimmy 'Smut' Means used to do that. He said he could use the same car and engine for most of the year if he finished 38 or worse. His expenses were low because he didn't have a pit crew-- he didn't need one. He used a few local pickups, mostly volunteers who go in free of charge.

He said it was easier than working a real job and paid better too. Some people can have a good career in sports without being a household name.
I used to watch NASCAR every week with a group of friends. We used to joke about guys we’d never heard of who came in last when dropping out after 20 laps due to “handling”. We would say they are just there to handle a check.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

I can't blame a player, especially one that was pretty heavily recruited, that wants to actually play at least one year, rather than getting some garbage time at the end of a few games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Coker helped Alabama win a championship. Changes like this help the best teams and hurt the weaker teams.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Do you mean the Pittsburgh Steelers? Because otherwise I’m completely lost
Yes he backed up Bradshaw at Pittsburgh for 6 years. He also played for several teams after the Stallions.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yes he backed up Bradshaw at Pittsburgh for 6 years. He also played for several teams after the Stallions.
He must not have remembered the USFL. He was good for the Stallions and I went to watch them several times. Joe Cribbs was a great RB.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

Coker helped Alabama win a championship. Changes like this help the best teams and hurt the weaker teams.
That's not be best example since Coker transfered from Florida State, who is a rather strong team themselves.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama

I think QBs would do well to look to Blake Sims who sat on the bench for four years and then led Bama to an SEC title or Greg McElroy who sat on the bench for three years and then led Bama to a national title. Sometimes patience pays off.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Very good Quarterback.
With all due respect, I think you lost me right here....yes, he was in the top five passing in what was essentially
a third-rate football league.

Let me put it this way.....how many guys played first in the NFL and THEN went on to be stars in the NFL?
Not just played but were actually very good? Many of the "stars" in the USFL were mediocrity in the NFL.
Herschel Walker was one of the greatest backs I ever saw play college ball, esp as a freshman. He ran for 1812 yards,
1339, and his last year set the USFL single season record with 2,411. He topped 1,000 yards twice in the NFL. His 4.2
yards per carry is exceeded by more than 100 guys who played in the NFL and had enough attempts to qualify.

Why? Because the talent gap between the two leagues was so massive that when the NFL basically won the lawsuit (they lost
but they didn't really lose anything), one prominent GM told SI that there were about a dozen guys in the USFL at most who could
start in the NFL, about two dozen who could find work because they were at least serviceable - and the rest was basically guys from
the car wash.

I'm not trying to knock the guy, but Stoudt's numbers are due to the fact the USFL secondaries weren't on a par with the NFL.

Stoudt never played for the Packers.

He wasn't injured playing for the Packers because he never played for the Packers.

Sure, he was behind Terry Bradshaw. But the part you don't mention is that he was behind Neil Lomax in St Louis/Phoenix, which kind of puts it in a different light.
I'm trying to process how Cliff Stoudt playing in the NFL has any correlation with college football QBs transferring.......

Incidentally, there's only one thing that kept me from being a star at the University of Alabama back during my prime playing days of 1987-90.....the fact I had no talent whatsoever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That's not be best example since Coker transfered from Florida State, who is a rather strong team themselves.
Sure it is - I am not saying that the weak teams will be hurt because they will lose bench players. Guys who might help the Alabamas of the world are not bench players for weak schools - they are starters. My point is that the strong will get stronger, and the weak will get slaughtered.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

With all due respect, I think you lost me right here....yes, he was in the top five passing in what was essentially
a third-rate football league.

Let me put it this way.....how many guys played first in the NFL and THEN went on to be stars in the NFL?
Not just played but were actually very good? Many of the "stars" in the USFL were mediocrity in the NFL.
Herschel Walker was one of the greatest backs I ever saw play college ball, esp as a freshman. He ran for 1812 yards,
1339, and his last year set the USFL single season record with 2,411. He topped 1,000 yards twice in the NFL. His 4.2
yards per carry is exceeded by more than 100 guys who played in the NFL and had enough attempts to qualify.

Why? Because the talent gap between the two leagues was so massive that when the NFL basically won the lawsuit (they lost
but they didn't really lose anything), one prominent GM told SI that there were about a dozen guys in the USFL at most who could
start in the NFL, about two dozen who could find work because they were at least serviceable - and the rest was basically guys from
the car wash.

I'm not trying to knock the guy, but Stoudt's numbers are due to the fact the USFL secondaries weren't on a par with the NFL.

Stoudt never played for the Packers.

He wasn't injured playing for the Packers because he never played for the Packers.

Sure, he was behind Terry Bradshaw. But the part you don't mention is that he was behind Neil Lomax in St Louis/Phoenix, which kind of puts it in a different light.

I'm trying to process how Cliff Stoudt playing in the NFL has any correlation with college football QBs transferring.......

Incidentally, there's only one thing that kept me from being a star at the University of Alabama back during my prime playing days of 1987-90.....the fact I had no talent whatsoever.
Dang, same here. I coulda been a star if I'd had any talent at all.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A lot of things have changed.

1) Nowadays, EVERY team even down through Division II and III (or whatever) plays on TV. Thirty years ago, Carson Wentz would not have been seen on TV at N Dakota St or (in all likelihood) been given a shot in the NFL. It would have been better for him to be seen coming off the bench at a Nebraska or Kansas St than to play for the Bison. Brook Berringer of Nebraska was being touted as an NFL draft pick despite being little more than a career backup QB to Tommie Frazier who had the good fortune to win some games with a talented team.

2) Tribalism is dying. The number of young people who grew up and "this" was their team and they never pulled for anyone else is going down all the time. It's similar to how about 40% of the stadium leaves at BDS if we're blowing out an also ran at halftime. Their interest is "well, I go to school here" rather than "I love (name of school)."

3) Internet and social media make it MUCH easier than it was back in the day to figure out/know which schools may have an opening next year.

I have more to say, but I'm tired.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Very good Quarterback.
I remember that guy, but thought he was a Steeler, not a Packer. I also remember the RB for that team being Joe Cribbs. IIRC, Walter Lewis went to the Memphis team. Other than those two things, and Hershel Walker being on the NJ Generals, there isn't much I can recall about the USFL.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Sure it is - I am not saying that the weak teams will be hurt because they will lose bench players. Guys who might help the Alabamas of the world are not bench players for weak schools - they are starters. My point is that the strong will get stronger, and the weak will get slaughtered.
Serious question because I'm curious, is this really true? Or will more QBs transferring allow smaller schools to have more talent at that position. It seems to me that if everyone was transferring in order to play then more schools would have QBs not fewer. Blake Barnett ending up at USF.

Again, not really arguing one side more of just curious about what the impacts of QB transfers have been. Would be interesting to see if anyone has tracked it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.