Planning A 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration (Looking for Pointers) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Planning A 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration (Looking for Pointers)

[QUOTE=gtowntide;3232885]I'll give you a my perspective from my wife and me. We are also coming up on our 50th next January. I'm 69 and she's 68. Yes we were babies when we got married but it worked out pretty well. We have one daughter that lives about two miles from us so we're together a lot.
    If your parents are like us, they probably don't really need too much so buying them a gift might be hard.
    Just being there with them is probably the best gift you can give them especially when everyone lives long distances from them. As far as them not making it until then, check with them daily to see how they feel![/QUOTE

My wife and I have been happily married 25 years, 25 out of 44 ain't bad.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Tell something that happened on each of their anniversaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post

Who do you think I am?????
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Well, we had it this past weekend.

Folks celebrated 50 years of "Wait, you're STILL here?" this weekend.

The entire family made it.

All of Dad's siblings were there (one of Mom's is dead, the other is too frail to travel).

Dad's post-stroke (2016) decline is too noticeable. He got up to address the room and then went on a meandering year-by-year retrospective until Mom cut him off at about ten years. We had a family video that my brother the news producer, er, produced. I got to see one guy that used to play softball with Dad that I had not seen in 37 years (his wife, who is Filipino, fed me my first fried rice).

All in all, it was a good time. Mom was happy - even though, unfortunately, much of it fell on her locally (since none of us lives closer than 9 hours to them - road trip anyway).

Fittingly, we got them a NY Times scrapbook that has the covers of the Times on every February 2 from their marriage date to anniversary date. That was better than a second plaque and might actually get looked at it. Mom remarked that the biggest thing she notices is how DRASTICALLY different the world is just a half century removed from when she got married.

In general, just the everyone getting together to celebrate was good enough - and we kept it short since most of them that came that were not cousins (etc) were in their 70s or older (certainly late 60s).

Thanks for the pointers, it was a great time.

Mom's proudest thing? That her four kids figured out how to do it and finance it and cooperate on it without one single disagreement.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

This was posted back before the boards were divided. I'll move to the other board...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This was posted back before the boards were divided. I'll move to the other board...
    Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Oops!

Not your fault. That was where it was started...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Glad to see you went with this idea and got the Times scrapbook for them. Is this something they sell or did you have to track down all the papers yourself?

Glad to see you went with this idea and got the Times scrapbook for them. Is this something they sell or did you have to track down all the papers yourself?

The Times does it.

https://store.nytimes.com/products/a...oaAmAeEALw_wcB