Planning A 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration (Looking for Pointers)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Planning A 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration (Looking for Pointers)

Next February 2, my parents will have been married 50 years (I was seriously conceived on the honeymoon at the Ramada Inn in Dothan fwiw - and NO, I'm not changing my name to DothanconceivedTidefan, either).

My sister currently resides in Japan so we are waiting their return after her senior year of HS daughter graduates. Thus, we not actually having the ceremony until July 6th next year. (Yes, I understand with Dad being 73 and Mom 72 then, there's always a risk of one of them not making it, but that's actually quite younger than either one's parents went).

We have some unique problems in that because Dad spent 23 years in the USAF, we moved all over the place. Two years ago, he got a wild hair and moved back home to Missouri, which presents the fact that almost nobody but family even knows them anymore. Hence, the celebration will be in their town, and the reception will be small.

I'm asking for basic ideas of things that could be cool.

So far, I'm compiling a music video with some pictures they're submitting (my brother the news producer has access to some really good equipment). Also, we're going to have them take a picture when we're up there for the planning session later this month so as to have a "then and now" picture. I'm also probably going to blow up a newspaper front page from that particular day. It's likely to be catered by the place (and cleaned) so that we don't have much to do with setup and teardown.

Anything anyone has done that turned out pretty good?

Thank you to everyone in advance.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Re: Planning A 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration (Looking for Pointers)

Different songs through their history? Stuff you remember them listening to? Events and happenings they've lived through together? Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it I see why you asked for suggestions lol.

On a side note, send them Congratulations for me. First on making it over 70, that's not a given on this crazy planet, and secondly for making it this long without killing each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American tattooguy21's Avatar

I'm not sure if it's an option, but I bet after that much time in service, both your dad and mom made good friends with a few couples, some similar in age to maybe a decade or two younger. I don't know if there's anyway that you could get some of that info from them and contact those guys. There's a solid chance they'd travel for something like that, and if nothing else, catch up on lost time.

BamaNation All-American alabama mike1's Avatar

Be sure to have a poster up of the price of things when they got married. I was at a celebration a week ago Sunday and this was up, nice touch.

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

You said you moved a lot. If you have photos of the places they lived, see if you can find them on google maps and show what they look like today.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

If you can find the newspaper of the day they were married, it can be special. And contain some interesting tidbits.

For example, when my parents got married in September, 1956, the local paper's sports page had a blurb about Florida State's beating Ohio U., 47-7 in their home opener. Huge game by FSU QB, Lee Corso.

Having their children there to celebrate with them will mean more than anything to them, Bill.

Other than that I think you've already received some great ideas here.

Congrats in advance - that's a huge accomplishment and one you (and they) should be proud of!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaFlum's Avatar

My parents just celebrated their 50th. I asked them what they wanted and they just wanted everyone under one roof for a few days. My brother and I got a house in Fort Morgan for 5 nights and we had a blast. My mom got to take care of her boys and her grand babies while my dad got to take us fishing. Just having everyone together is a celebration in and of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR!

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

My only suggestion is to savor the moment while you can.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

My maternal grandfather, at his 50th anniversary, simply said, "That's a heck of a long time to spend with one woman." My maternal grandmother was less than pleased with this comment.

I hope that helps.

Strippers

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

I like the idea of the slideshow. I made one for my in laws on their 35th anniversary and they loved it. On the then and now pic...is there a funny picture from the past that they can pose for again now? That is always a fun thing to do.

I actually found a frame that actually said Then and Now for my in laws and put the two pictures in there. So you could search for a frame like that as well.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I'll give you a my perspective from my wife and me. We are also coming up on our 50th next January. I'm 69 and she's 68. Yes we were babies when we got married but it worked out pretty well. We have one daughter that lives about two miles from us so we're together a lot.
    If your parents are like us, they probably don't really need too much so buying them a gift might be hard.
    Just being there with them is probably the best gift you can give them especially when everyone lives long distances from them. As far as them not making it until then, check with them daily to see how they feel!