To what extent, if any, was the development of Braxton Key stunted by coaching? - Page 2
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: To what extent, if any, was the development of Braxton Key stunted by coaching?

I think Key would have had a good season next year at Bama if he had stayed AND worked hard at strength and conditioning. It looked like his injury knocked him back until late in the season. He was one of the more consistent players during the last 8-10 games as far as rebounding and scoring; better than he was anytime earlier in the season.

His first step is a little slow so he needs to develop a little more power and explosiveness; I think he was on track without the injury and whatever attitude issue he may have had. Also needs to cut down on bad passes.

It will be interesting to see how he does at UVA once he starts playing. We'll never know what improvements would have taken place with another year or two at Bama.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American beatthemtigers's Avatar

Re: To what extent, if any, was the development of Braxton Key stunted by coaching?

I think he’ll be a good piece for y’all. One thing he needs to work on though is confidence in his shooting, especially when he’s not the #1 option

BamaNation Scout Team

@day-day Virginia has an excellent strength and conditioning coach, Mike Curtis, who will hopefully help Key increase his explosiveness. UVA has a somewhat similar player in Anthony Gill, similar in the sense that he and Key are about the same size and need a combination of explosiveness, agility and strength to finish and create good shots in or near the paint. Gill improved every year under Curtis, in part because Gill had a great work ethic, something Key will need to show too.As for the bad passes, Key did have a high turnover rate but I didn't see enough tape to get a sense of the type of turnovers. What's your sense? Was he forcing passes that should not have been attempted? Just executing poorly on passes that were open? Losing the ball in traffic while driving?

@beatthemtigers Improving his shooting would help him a lot of ways; he'd be more of a threat as a playmaker if his shooting forces defenders to close quickly on him. It's interesting; the player Key would replace if he gets approved in a hardship application to play this year is Isaiah Wilkins, who also struggled with his shooting. Wilkins was a stellar defender, great teammate, but his offensive game was limited because his shooting was inconsistent, even from the mid-range. Wilkins (step-son of Dominique) was not a good leaper or especially athletic and like Key was about 6'7" of 6'8"; he did not have Key's more well-rounded skills, so I think Key has a lot more upside if he can improve his shot.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Key seemed to have a mix of ill-advised passes and passes without enough zip on them for the situation. Looked like a number of turnovers were from passing the ball without seeing the defense or not checking for the defenders. These can be improved.

He looked like he has been working out with a more developed upper body; I think the injury just persisted through this season which hampered his legs.

He has excellent size for his skill set and can be a real problem for opposing teams when healthy (again, mentally as well as physically).
    Last edited by day-day; July 6th, 2018 at 01:02 PM.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Whatever the reason, I got the feeling Key's heart and head weren't completely in it at Alabama. Perhaps he will be more at home at UVA. I wish him the best of luck in achieving his goals.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Whatever the reason, I got the feeling Key's heart and head weren't completely in it at Alabama. Perhaps he will be more at home at UVA. I wish him the best of luck in achieving his goals.
    Completely agree. I always felt he was wished he was somewhere else. He just never looked like he was completely sold on Alabama for whatever reason. I don't think he was a bad kid, but I never got the feeling his heart was completely in it here. Hopefully a change of scenery will help him. I alluded to this earlier, but he has someone in his ear who may be the problem. He has someone who is advising him who doesn't have his best interests at heart iMHO. He has NBA potential, but only if he truly dedicates himself 100%. At this point, the NBA is not a real option for him. I wish him luck at UVA.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Completely agree. I always felt he was wished he was somewhere else. He just never looked like he was completely sold on Alabama for whatever reason. I don't think he was a bad kid, but I never got the feeling his heart was completely in it here. Hopefully a change of scenery will help him. I alluded to this earlier, but he has someone in his ear who may be the problem. He has someone who is advising him who doesn't have his best interests at heart iMHO. He has NBA potential, but only if he truly dedicates himself 100%. At this point, the NBA is not a real option for him. I wish him luck at UVA.
    Whoever put it in his head after year one that he was ready for the NBA needs to be put at a distance by the young man. It was obvious that he was nowhere near ready. Perhaps he was disheartened by the feedback he received and the injury was the icing on the cake, as it were.

Below is an article on his humbling experience:

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/a...ll-braxton-key

A horse first has to be broken before it can win the race, but they still need spirit. Key seemed to have lost his. I hope he can get it back.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

Key turned the ball over a lot and many were cringe-worthy. He also tended to hesitate when open. Frankly, I didn't see Virginia type defense from him very much.