News Article: Trump Judicial Pick At Justice Department

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We made the news again!

Trump Judicial Pick Who Blogged Favorably About the KKK Had to Withdraw. Now He’s at the Justice Department.

Brett Talley had already been voted out of the Senate Judiciary Committee and was on his way to a lifetime appointment to the federal bench when reporters discovered what he’d written about the Klan. Since 2005, Talley, a 36-year-old lawyer nominated for a seat on the US District Court for the Middle District of Alabama, appeared to have posted more than 16,000 comments on a University of Alabama sports message board TideFans.com. Writing as BamainBoston, he commented on everything from race to abortion. He disparaged Muslims, joked about statutory rape, and, most notably, wrote approvingly about Nathan Bedford Forrest, the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. He defended the “first KKK” as something entirely different from the racist, violent organization it’s known as today.

After outcry about the comments and his general lack of qualifications for the job—Talley had never tried a case—he withdrew from consideration for the judgeship in December. But the controversy didn’t send him packing to Alabama. Instead, he simply continued working as deputy associate attorney general at the US Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Policy, where he oversaw the judicial nominations unit that advises the president and attorney general on the selection and confirmation of federal judges and conducts the vetting, interviewing, and evaluating of nominees. This spring, he moved to a more junior position at the Justice Department, as an assistant US attorney.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If Trump is successful in imitating these dictators around the world, this website will one day be helpful in identifying "enemies of the people."

I don't know whether to use the blue font for that remark or not. :(

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Trump is successful in imitating these dictators around the world, this website will one day be helpful in identifying "enemies of the people."

I don't know whether to use the blue font for that remark or not. :(
I have no doubt that one of these days - since it's pretty easy to identify me here ("60 Minutes" anyone?) - something bad is likely to happen.
In my case, it would also be rather ironic.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So is he on the list for Kennedy's seat?

I guess Brett never read that pinned thread at the top "On Anonymity and Tide Fans".

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here's another Trump judicial nominee shot down for past writings (just not on Tidefans).

Trump Judicial Nominee Withdraws After Concerns Over Racially Insensitive Writing.

Lawmakers objected to past writings from Mr. Bounds when he was a student at Stanford University. For example, in a 1995 piece for the student-run Stanford Review Mr. Bounds coined the term “race-think,” which he defined as a misplaced emphasis on multiculturalism. He lamented “race-focused” groups on campus and wrote that “the existence of ethnic organizations is no inevitable prerequisite to maintaining a diverse university community—white students, after all, seem to be doing all right without an Aryan Student Union.”
I guess there is no defense. The implication is that the only way to maintain "a diverse university community" really is the have "ethnic organizations."

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I guess there is no defense. The implication is that the only way to maintain "a diverse university community" really is the have "ethnic organizations."
"Opposition to the proposed policy of giving every African-American one million dollars tax-free from the US treasury was derided as mean-spirited"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Here's another Trump judicial nominee shot down for past writings (just not on Tidefans).

Trump Judicial Nominee Withdraws After Concerns Over Racially Insensitive Writing.

his last sentence is basically just the same nonsensical argument people try to use saying "why don't we have a naawp" or "why can't we have a white history month" as a way to dismiss "ethnic organizations" out of hand.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
his last sentence is basically just the same nonsensical argument people try to use saying "why don't we have a naawp" or "why can't we have a white history month" as a way to dismiss "ethnic organizations" out of hand.
I know, but not having a African-American Student Union is not the only way to have a diverse university community. I do not find that statement that objectionable. The rest is just a college student speaking with all the circumspection college students frequently speak with.

Just to add something from my past.
Mrs. Tidewater is an alumna of Mary Washington College, which used to be the women's college of the University of Virginia (odd since it was a 90 drive away from Charlottesville, but whatever). MWC went co-ed in the 1960s. By the 1980s, Governor Chuck Robb (LBJ's son-in-law) decided that not enough men were going to MWC, so rather than just adopting the liberal position of "young people can go to school where they want and college should accept the best applicants without regard for their sex," Robb adopted the leftist position that MWC had to recruit men in the interests of "diversity," spending precious school dollars to attract male applicants, and even having lower admissions standards for male applicants than female applicants, because, you know, it is so hard for men to get along in this world, so we have to compensate a bit to make things easier for them. I thought it was silly at the time, but I did not write anything about it in my student newspaper so I am still in the running for my judicial appointment.

Wait, darn it...

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I know, but not having a African-American Student Union is not the only way to have a diverse university community. I do not find that statement that objectionable. The rest is just a college student speaking with all the circumspection college students frequently speak with.
yeah, i don't think that college writings should really weigh that heavily in situations like this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.