A national college football injury rprt may be coming soon if Big10 ADs get their way
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A national college football injury rprt may be coming soon if Big10 ADs get their way

A national college football injury report may be coming soon if Big Ten ADs get their way

The Big Ten has asked the NCAA to consider developing a national college football injury reporting system in reaction to the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that allows states to legalize sports gambling.

The conference's athletic directors proposed to the NCAA Football Oversight Committee in June what would be a first-ever weekly national injury reporting mandate. The ADs claim an injury report is necessary to protect the integrity of the sport.
    Such a move would alter one of the most ingrained and long-standing traditions in college football -- coaches concealing injuries. From the earliest days of the sport, the decision to release such information has typically been made by the coaches themselves, sometimes flying in the face of fair play and transparency.

With the cross-country growth of sports betting in its infancy, it is becoming imperative that injury information be accurate and widely available.

"We have to be more transparent," Ohio State AD Gene Smith said during a National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics panel last week. "In football, we're going to kill this [idea of] gamesmanship around injuries."

Smith added: "We don't know if we want to report as many days as the NFL, but clearly on Mondays if somebody is injured from Saturday and you know they're not going to play the following Saturday because they broke their leg, why not just say that?"
    (more in the link above)

2. Advertisement

Re: A national college football injury rprt may be coming soon if Big10 ADs get their

More from the linked story.....

"Whatever weaknesses or vulnerabilities that we have as a team, I can't possibly fathom why I would have any interest in revealing that to my opponent," Washington State coach Mike Leach told USA Today in January.

A national injury reporting mandate, though, seems to have some early support.
    "All the coaches won't like it," UCLA AD Dan Guerrero said. "That's OK. But if everyone does it? Yeah."
    The main issue is how to get around student privacy laws -- most notably the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Essentially, athletes would have to consent to have their injury information released publicly.

"It could be interesting," Guerrero added. "If you don't get 100 percent of your players willing to allow you to do it [then it could be a problem]."

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: A national college football injury rprt may be coming soon if Big10 ADs get their

It makes sense, so long as HIPAA protections are taken into account.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I guess I don't know all the legal subtleties - so take this suggestion with a grain of salt - but SEC competition isn't a requirement for the player. The conferences possess the power to disqualify players who will not waive their HIPAA protections in the interest of fairness in competition. Schools possess the right to not retain an athletic scholarship for those who do not participate in the majority of their sport's season despite being healthy. Seems like a solved problem other than the PR problem from the hardball being played by the schools.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Well I don't like it at all.

I don't mind knowing how MY team is doing regarding injuries....but as Coach Leach said.....why tell the OTHER team? I mean....they're the enemy....right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Well I don't like it at all.

I don't mind knowing how MY team is doing regarding injuries....but as Coach Leach said.....why tell the OTHER team? I mean....they're the enemy....right?
    It is about avoiding the possibility of undisclosed injuries resulting in betting improprieties. People on the medical or coaching staff could be tempted to sell that sort of information when there is betting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    It is about avoiding the possibility of undisclosed injuries resulting in betting improprieties. People on the medical or coaching staff could be tempted to sell that sort of information when there is betting involved.
    Who gives a crap about the bettors? If they affect the game, there's already an issue that needs to be addressed. If it's about people being able to make 'better' bets. Screw them. I couldn't care any less.

I don't see any benefit for the collegiate athlete.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Just report that everyone is healthy and expected to play. Then if they don't, you're not required to divulge why a player didn't play - unless the NCAA is going to impose penalties on programs that don't report injuries? Really? Since it sounds absurd, probably. But what about this: since the State of Alabama will likely never approve betting on any level, why should UA have to report injuries for people living in NY or NJ who want to make bets against them?

I don't wager on anything, especially the performance of college aged kids following a Friday night. If people are crazy enough to stake a portion of their income bases upon how college kids play a game, then they're obviously willing to lose that wagered money - and rightfully so. This is just another step toward bringing the college game more in line with the NFL.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

The way things work right now.......certain details are released each week at the discretion of the team and everyone deals with it.

I don't even remember a situation when a team purposely tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Who will start at QB has come up from time to time....but it's usually not due to injury.

Let the gamblers do what everyone else has always had to do. Speculate as needed.

BamaNation All-American

The issue has nothing to do with simply divulging info to bookies or bettors. It has to do with the temptation for medical staff, admin staff, coaches, players, players' families and friends, etc. to divulge inside injury info to gamblers (house or bettors) for some kind of recompense. Either money or worse, affecting the outcome of a game. And you can bet that the potential for that has increased significantly this year.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Who gives a crap about the bettors? If they affect the game, there's already an issue that needs to be addressed. If it's about people being able to make 'better' bets. Screw them. I couldn't care any less.

I don't see any benefit for the collegiate athlete.
    This isn't about the betters. This is about the integrity of the game. But I agree that the players should come first. That is why I supported the transfer rule.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    The issue has nothing to do with simply divulging info to bookies or bettors. It has to do with the temptation for medical staff, admin staff, coaches, players, players' families and friends, etc. to divulge inside injury info to gamblers (house or bettors) for some kind of recompense. Either money or worse, affecting the outcome of a game. And you can bet that the potential for that has increased significantly this year.
    Yep - it keeps honest people honest and protects the integrity of the sport.

BamaNation Third Team

Well....it is called gambling....