Kansas has fallen and can't get up - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Re: Kansas has fallen and can't get up

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Just a reminder to folks that Kansas is that ninth conference game for the rest of the Big 12 that - supposedly - is why the SEC has this post-season advantage.

In the last three years, Kansas has lost to both S Dakota St and SE Missouri St.

But something about "conference games cupcakes something something Alabama..."
    This is an interesting point about Kansas being a cupcake but counting as a Power 5. I think any Power 5 team who has a losing conference record over a five year period should not count as Power 5. If Kansas and Vanderbilt can't at least go 22-22 or 20-20 (break even) then they are obviously not Power 5 worthy.

For Top 10 ranking only (I am not advocating kicking them out of P5 conferences) they should not "count" as P5 wins and just count as a win. After all, Kansas, Oregon State, Colorado, Vandy, Purdue and etc. would qualify as cupcakes the past five years and beating up on Kansas would be no different than beating up on Southern Miss.

Brent Bielema looked awfully good as a HC in the Big 10 West. LOL. He would look like the HC at Arkansas had he played in the Big 10 East. This is my point, playing cupcake P5 makes for good looking stats -- but were they really that good?
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; July 7th, 2018 at 03:12 AM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    This is an interesting point about Kansas being a cupcake but counting as a Power 5. I think any Power 5 team who has a losing conference record over a five year period should not count as Power 5. If Kansas and Vanderbilt can't at least go 22-22 or 20-20 (break even) then they are obviously not Power 5 worthy.

For Top 10 ranking only (I am not advocating kicking them out of P5 conferences) they should not "count" as P5 wins and just count as a win. After all, Kansas, Oregon State, Colorado, Vandy, Purdue and etc. would qualify as cupcakes the past five years and beating up on Kansas would be no different than beating up on Southern Miss.

Brent Bielema looked awfully good as a HC in the Big 10 West. LOL. He would look like the HC at Arkansas had he played in the Big 10 East. This is my point, playing cupcake P5 makes for good looking stats -- but were they really that good?

Everyone gets hung up on names and titles. What's funny is how many of the pundits can see this when they disparage Miss State fans for chanting "SEC," as if MSU has ever contributed at all to SEC football's national reputation. But they suddenly develop blinders when it comes to teams like Maryland in the Big 10 or Kansas in the Big 12 (or the fact neither conference can do math).
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    But they suddenly develop blinders when it comes to teams like Maryland in the Big 10 or Kansas in the Big 12 (or the fact neither conference can do math).
    I am glad our conference founders didnít put a number in the name. Of course, we started with 13, then have gone to 12, 11, 10, back to 12 and now 14. So it would have been quite a hassle.

Also glad they didnít pick an Indian nickname for us. Back when Native Americans were called Indians).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Kansas has fallen and can't get up

Interesting fact, when Kansas beat Nebraska in 2007 by a score of 76-39, they scored more on Nebraska in that game than they did from 1980-1989. Seriously the only reason Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, and even OK-Lite existed was for OU and Nebraska to beat up on them in football. Only MIZ and Colorado had decent teams every now and then.
    Last edited by BamaJama17; July 7th, 2018 at 08:26 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Kansas has fallen and can't get up

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Texas would have to make a deal with the devil with Houston to replace Kansas and keep the Big XII alive.
    I think Kansas is kept in the big 12 only because of their basketball. Also they are the state university while Houston is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I am glad our conference founders didn’t put a number in the name. Of course, we started with 13, then have gone to 12, 11, 10, back to 12 and now 14. So it would have been quite a hassle.

Also glad they didn’t pick an Indian nickname for us. Back when Native Americans were called Indians).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree but the PAC 12 is much smarter than the Big 10 and the Big 12. The PAC 8 became the PAC 10 and then the PAC 12. For some reason the Big 10 and Big 12 seem afraid to change their number. ACC, Big 14, Big 10, PAC 12 and SEC. I don't have a problem with that.

BamaNation First Team UntouchableCrew's Avatar

I agree but the PAC 12 is much smarter than the Big 10 and the Big 12. The PAC 8 became the PAC 10 and then the PAC 12. For some reason the Big 10 and Big 12 seem afraid to change their number. ACC, Big 14, Big 10, PAC 12 and SEC. I don't have a problem with that.
    LOL how would it be "smarter" to abandon an incredibly valuable brand name like the "Big 10?" Should the SEC change their name because Texas A&M isn't in the Southeast?

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    LOL how would it be "smarter" to abandon an incredibly valuable brand name like the "Big 10?" Should the SEC change their name because Texas A&M isn't in the Southeast?
    Side note: Given the proximity and history aTm is not that big a stretch in any case.

But I don't think that was the point being made so much as the PAC X doesn't have to contend with another conference called the PAC X like the Big X conferences do which makes a name change less likely and more confusing. As little sense as the two Big X conferences' names make now they won't be changed to make sense because the Big branding is diluted and has to be differentiated by numbers even when the numbers don't make sense. The Big Ten came first so the Big 8 and later Big 12 had to know what they were doing. Just one more indication of what a dumpster fire that conference is as a conference.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation First Team UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Side note: Given the proximity and history aTm is not that big a stretch in any case.

But I don't think that was the point being made so much as the PAC X doesn't have to contend with another conference called the PAC X like the Big X conferences do which makes a name change less likely and more confusing. As little sense as the two Big X conferences' names make now they won't be changed to make sense because the Big branding is diluted and has to be differentiated by numbers even when the numbers don't make sense. The Big Ten came first so the Big 8 and later Big 12 had to know what they were doing. Just one more indication of what a dumpster fire that conference is as a conference.
    I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, I just don't fault the conferences for not changing their names as they evolve. The Big 10 is a brand -- depending on who you ask they are the first or second most valuable conference brand in college athletics. They should change to "the Big 14" (an ugly mouthful) because they're trying to expand to the east coast? I don't see why. When people think "Big Ten" the think of a midwest based power conference with a lot of history. I don't fault them for sticking with that, even with 14 teams.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, I just don't fault the conferences for not changing their names as they evolve. The Big 10 is a brand -- depending on who you ask they are the first or second most valuable conference brand in college athletics. They should change to "the Big 14" (an ugly mouthful) because they're trying to expand to the east coast? I don't see why. When people think "Big Ten" the think of a midwest based power conference with a lot of history. I don't fault them for sticking with that, even with 14 teams.
    Me either, just for a different reason (the other Big X conference made it impossible for them).
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I see you bought into the Big 10 argument/exscuse. When Penn State was admitted they should have become the Big 11. Now they should be the Big 14. AND NOBODY would know they were the former Big 10 -- just like no one knows the Pac 12 is the former Pac 10. Trust me, we will know.

Lets quit making fun of them for not knowing math if they are correct.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I see you bought into the Big 10 argument/exscuse. When Penn State was admitted they should have become the Big 11. Now they should be the Big 14. AND NOBODY would know they were the former Big 10 -- just like no one knows the Pac 12 is the former Pac 10. Trust me, we will know.

Lets quit making fun of them for not knowing math if they are correct.
    The whole numbering thing is stupid. They shouldíve realized that the Big 10 was named the Big 9 for years so the name was dependent on who is added or subtracted to the conference.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Oh, I get the argument and have no problem with it.

But you KNOW - and I mean everyone here KNOWS deep down......if the SEC had that particular name for our conference and expanded, there would be no end to the jokes about Southern illiteracy, redneckdom and "they can't even count down there" insults. And if it were here, the press would get it on it with more fervor.

I've always though that the Big Ten should just change their name to the B1G. As in "the bee one gee." EVERYONE knows what that is, and they could finally expand to include Notre Dame and N Dakota St.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."