Kansas has fallen and can't get up - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Re: Kansas has fallen and can't get up

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Oh, I get the argument and have no problem with it.

But you KNOW - and I mean everyone here KNOWS deep down......if the SEC had that particular name for our conference and expanded, there would be no end to the jokes about Southern illiteracy, redneckdom and "they can't even count down there" insults. And if it were here, the press would get it on it with more fervor.

I've always though that the Big Ten should just change their name to the B1G. As in "the bee one gee." EVERYONE knows what that is, and they could finally expand to include Notre Dame and N Dakota St.
    I understand all the reasons given about branded and all that but no one can convince me if the SEC changed its name to Gulf of Mexico Conference (GMC) that it would lose tons of money. No way. Our fans won't be able to find us? Alabama and Florida haven't changed their names. CBS would still telecast the GMC.

By the way, on excuses colleges use: Texas A&M stayed in the Big 12 and the excuse they used was it would be too much on their student athletes with different time zones and all that extra travel. But -- two years later they joined the SEC and to blazes with the student athlete. Yes, and if the Big 10 decided to change to the Big 16 they would do it in a heartbeat, because they want to and they wouldn't need an excuse not to.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; July 8th, 2018 at 01:14 PM.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don't think anyone fared worse in football program development in the last expansion shuffle than the Big-12 teams not in the State of Texas or Oklahoma. I think West Virginia probably fared the worst because they would've been a giant in the AAC whereas they have some geographical impediments to succeeding against their schedule. Their travel is almost like a Pac-12 team that decided to join the Big-12. If they waited out on the ACC's moves then they may have gotten into a more geographically convenient conference. Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa State are stuck in a poor financial situation due to the Big-12's imbalanced revenue sharing. Maybe with a more equitable revenue sharing structure, these programs could spend their way into a position to take a shot at the powers.

The Big-12 is a bad conference and it only lives because advertising/broadcasting power wills it to exist. It is a sickly, poor structured organization that will not save itself as soon as television revenue starts drying up.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I don't think anyone fared worse in football program development in the last expansion shuffle than the Big-12 teams not in the State of Texas or Oklahoma. I think West Virginia probably fared the worst because they would've been a giant in the AAC whereas they have some geographical impediments to succeeding against their schedule. Their travel is almost like a Pac-12 team that decided to join the Big-12. If they waited out on the ACC's moves then they may have gotten into a more geographically convenient conference. Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa State are stuck in a poor financial situation due to the Big-12's imbalanced revenue sharing. Maybe with a more equitable revenue sharing structure, these programs could spend their way into a position to take a shot at the powers.

The Big-12 is a bad conference and it only lives because advertising/broadcasting power wills it to exist. It is a sickly, poor structured organization that will not save itself as soon as television revenue starts drying up.
    The Big 12 will survive as long as another conference doesn't raid Texas and Oklahoma. Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St have no other Power 5 options. Not sure W Virginia does either. Who wants them? Texas and Oklahoma on the other hand would certainly help the Pac 12. These may be unhappy but I don't see what they can do.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    The Big 12 will survive as long as another conference doesn't raid Texas and Oklahoma. Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St have no other Power 5 options. Not sure W Virginia does either. Who wants them? Texas and Oklahoma on the other hand would certainly help the Pac 12. These may be unhappy but I don't see what they can do.
    What I speculate is a scenario where the money gets tighter on television contracts and the current Big-12 arrangement doesn't effectively feed the large athletic programs in Austin and Norman. So those two will eventually jump ship to somewhere that is in a better contractual positioning with the broadcasters. Eventually the Big-12 will fall apart due to the fact that Texas and Oklahoma playing the sisters of the poor doesn't get people subscribing to your streaming service.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    The world needs ditch diggers too.
    Bushwood was in Nebraska though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    What I speculate is a scenario where the money gets tighter on television contracts and the current Big-12 arrangement doesn't effectively feed the large athletic programs in Austin and Norman. So those two will eventually jump ship to somewhere that is in a better contractual positioning with the broadcasters. Eventually the Big-12 will fall apart due to the fact that Texas and Oklahoma playing the sisters of the poor doesn't get people subscribing to your streaming service.
    I agree except that Texas and Oklahoma hold the other eight hostage with a larger slice of the T.V. money. They may just take a bigger slice, since the other eight don't have any Power Five options. At least they both used to get a larger share. The percentages may have changed and I missed it. It's no wonder some of the others are not happy Big 12 campers.