Kansas has fallen and can't get up

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Kansas is 3-33 the past three years. Probably the worst P5 team (and that is saying something) because they show no signs of getting better. I remember the last hire and thinking "they don't really care about winning, they just want someone for minimum wage."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ts-next-coach-must-be-able-to-afford-to-fail/
Kansas is a basketball school. They hire anyone that can get 20k in a football stadium and fire him 4 years later. KSU is the football school but one has to wonder how much longer that continues with Snyder’s age.

But Kansas is almost a basketball only school.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Mark Magino went 12-1 at Kansas, won a Big 12 Championship, the Orange Bowl, and finished ranked #7 in the AP and Coaches polls... And this was only 10 years ago.

It can be done.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Kansas is a basketball school. They hire anyone that can get 20k in a football stadium and fire him 4 years later. KSU is the football school but one has to wonder how much longer that continues with Snyder’s age.

For the past couple of years the other schools have privately wondered how much longer the conference will continue to let Kanas drag down the TV money. As the article points out the BB doesn't offset the FB negative. Temple was kicked out of the Big East a few years ago and Idaho State and N Mexico State were just last year booted from the Sun Belt. It could happen, I guess, except who would they get to replace Kansas?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For the past couple of years the other schools have privately wondered how much longer the conference will continue to let Kanas drag down the TV money. As the article points out the BB doesn't offset the FB negative. Temple was kicked out of the Big East a few years ago and Idaho State and N Mexico State were just last year booted from the Sun Belt. It could happen, I guess, except who would they get to replace Kansas?
Texas would have to make a deal with the devil with Houston to replace Kansas and keep the Big XII alive.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mark Magino went 12-1 at Kansas, won a Big 12 Championship, the Orange Bowl, and finished ranked #7 in the AP and Coaches polls... And this was only 10 years ago.

It can be done.
Mark magino never won the Big XII let alone the Big XII North. The only good team he played all year was the one that beat him and won the North. M-I-Z.

That Kansas team was like that Iowa team in 2015 in that they were just the best mediocre team out of a horrible division.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It can be done.
It makes my heart warm to see Kansas laying in the middle of the interstate while getting run over by the rest of the football world. I worked with a guy who hands down was the most obnoxious college football fan I'd ever been around. One of those guys who knows everything about everything and likes to let everyone in the room know it. While they were on this mini "run" of success he was like a bad of case herpes. Grinding on everyone's nerves by calling us "hacks" when stating our opinions on what was going on in the football world for that season. Yet his opinion was the gospel. I'd rather be shot in the face with rat shot than listen to that guy's voice ever again. Other than that I liked the guy.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
University of the Incarnate Word - with a strong "testimonial" from Saban...

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Mark magino never won the Big XII let alone the Big XII North. The only good team he played all year was the one that beat him and won the North. M-I-Z.

That Kansas team was like that Iowa team in 2015 in that they were just the best mediocre team out of a horrible division.
You're right, they lost the division title on tiebreakers, my memory is failing me. Regardless, they were 12-1, won a major bowl game and finished in the top 10 in both polls. You can diminish that if you want but they were clearly a good team and if someone like Mangino can do that at Kansas I stand by this "they're a bball school, you can't win there" rhetoric is nonsense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kansas exists in a an area that produces almost no football talent. Add the fact that they are a BBall school and barely pay attention to football and this is what you get. They need to be in a smaller conference.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You're right, they lost the division title on tiebreakers, my memory is failing me. Regardless, they were 12-1, won a major bowl game and finished in the top 10 in both polls. You can diminish that if you want but they were clearly a good team and if someone like Mangino can do that at Kansas I stand by this "they're a bball school, you can't win there" rhetoric is nonsense.
Just about every school has THAT unexpected run that they shouldn’t. Vandy and Iowa st have had good runs before

But look at who that Kansas team played and you’ll see that any mediocre team would do well. They played 3 teams with winning record. Their OOC was CMU, SE Louisiana, Toledo, and FIU. Like I said it’s basically the 2015 Iowa team. Looked good playing no one until they played someone.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It makes my heart warm to see Kansas laying in the middle of the interstate while getting run over by the rest of the football world. I worked with a guy who hands down was the most obnoxious college football fan I'd ever been around. One of those guys who knows everything about everything and likes to let everyone in the room know it. While they were on this mini "run" of success he was like a bad of case herpes. Grinding on everyone's nerves by calling us "hacks" when stating our opinions on what was going on in the football world for that season. Yet his opinion was the gospel. I'd rather be shot in the face with rat shot than listen to that guy's voice ever again. Other than that I liked the guy.
Sounds like some auburn fans, we all know.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Kansas is 3-33 the past three years. Probably the worst P5 team (and that is saying something) because they show no signs of getting better. I remember the last hire and thinking "they don't really care about winning, they just want someone for minimum wage."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ts-next-coach-must-be-able-to-afford-to-fail/
Actually, it's the very worst record from 2015-2017 in all of FBS. #129 out of 129 FBS programs.

Second-to-worst is a tie between Texas St. (Sun Belt), Oregon St. (PAC-12) and Charlotte (CONFUSA), all at 7-29, (Tied at #126) so Kansas really is far and away the leader at losing games over this three year period.....

Next worst p-5 team is a tie between Two teams from the MIGHTY B1G-EGO Conference!! Rutgers and Illinois, both at 10-26! (Tie for #118) Why does Ohio $tate ever need to schedule an OOC "Cream Puff" when their conference-mates are some of the WEAKEST CREAM PUFFS in all of CFB?????

How about the rest of the P-5:
Worst ACC Team? Virginia -#113 (tied with Purdue of the B1G and UConn of the AAC) 12-25
Worst SEC Team? Vandy - #94 (In a 5-way tie with 3 mid-majors and Cincinnatti of the AAC) 15-22

Just for fun - P-5 teams with WORSE records in the past three seasons than the WORST team record in the SEC - #94 Vandy:
#101 - Iowa State - Big-12 -
#106 - Maryland - B1G
#109 - Syracuse - ACC
#113 - Tie: Purdue - B1G and Uva - ACC
#118 - Tie: Illinois - B1G and Rugters - B1G
#126 - Oregon State - PAC-12
and, of course,
#129 - Kansas - Big-12

NINE (9) P-5 teams, representing ALL FOUR of the other P-5 conferences, with worse records than the "worst" SEC team record ......

Source: http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=2015&end=2017&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Bear Bryant won at Kentucky and even won the Sugar Bowl -- but Kentucky is still a BB school and that makes it more difficult.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Sounds like some auburn fans, we all know.
LOL!! I was gonna say it reminds me of a few people a little CLOSER than aub fans, but ... I've probably already said too much...... :wink:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The world needs ditch diggers too.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

no doubt. I HAVE seen a few pretty good Jayhawk teams...but ONLY a few. That fact would suggest that their fans are okay with that. Kinda like many Bama fans are about Basketball. If we all loved that sport like football? What might happen? Or Baseball?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
no doubt. I HAVE seen a few pretty good Jayhawk teams...but ONLY a few. That fact would suggest that their fans are okay with that. Kinda like many Bama fans are about Basketball. If we all loved that sport like football? What might happen? Or Baseball?
The only game they ever have semi cared about in football was Missouri. They had a very interesting and competitive rivalry with each other

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.