Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who? - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    This is almost impossible to make a guess at because the Top Coaches right now all have factors at play that would not make it ideal for them to come here. It almost will certainly be an 'Off the Radar' NOW coach. I mean here is the Creme right now:

1) Urban Meyer - He has NO reason to leave tOSU and come here to follow a legend when he's a legend where he's at.

2) Dabo - He's becoming a legend at Clemson and likely would not want to follow CNS. He doesn't bleed Crimson anymore.

3) Jimbo - HIGHLY overrated coach imo. Has only achieved anything because of Winston and helped cover his RAPE case to win at all costs. Just a slimeball.

4) Peterson - West Coast guy who has never shown any real interest in coming South or East.

5) Patterson - Quality coach but already 58 and there is no reason to leave TCU. He might want the KSU job after Snyder.

6) David Shaw - This is the Best Young coach out there imo but he's a Cardinal through and through.

7) Kirby - LOL.... you can totally scratch this one off.

8) Chip Kelly? - Just went to UCLA and is seen as a West Coast guy too

9) Franklin - If Shaw isn't the best Young Coach it's this guy. He won at VANDY. Would he leave PSU??

10) Riley - Just had a breakout 1st year at OU.... BIG12 guy.....no reason to leave.

11) Scott Frost - Lands probably his dream job at Nebraska.... he's not leaving.

That's all I can come up with for Top Tier young-ish Head Coaches out there. Beyond that you are looking at older guys and/or guys that don't have much of a Championship pedigree.

Out of my list the 3 Main Guys I think are worth going after are Dabo, Shaw, and Franklin.

I can't see Shaw leaving Stanford. I don't want Dabo here no matter how good he may be.

I guess I'd go hard after James Franklin. He's rough around the edges and not likeable at all. But he's a Winner when it comes to coaching.

If I had to really bet money on this or something I think it will be a CNS Staff Promotion or someone that's on nobody's radar right now.
    Franklin, "rough around the edges"? Go talk to some Vandy alums in Nashville, I don't think that is exactly how they would describe him. Plus he's got two former players in the pen for 15 years a piece for rape.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I usually agree with your take on things, but do you really think a guy nobody really knows about now might be our coach in what could be 3 or 4 years from now? Even if it's 7 or 8 years?

I think we probably are underestimating the lure of the Bama job. A guy who is a decent coach could follow CNS and win a NC in the first few years.

I know some on your list probably wouldn't come, but I think some of them would have to deeply consider it. And BTW, I think Dabo will also bleed Crimson!
    I was more more or less just saying that there is not an obvious 'Ideal' candidate out there right now. It's not that Bama isn't an appealing job..... but we have to factor in that not many would want to follow the Greastest Head Coach EVER with insane expectations to keep winning NC's every 2-3 years on average.

Nothing wrong with reaching out to any of the guys on my list or any guys I've not mentioned. It's just most likely an unproven assistant or someone not on the radar right now would take it.

Maybe I'm wrong about Dabo.... I just know he used illegal plays to beat us in 2016 and voted us #5 in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Franklin, "rough around the edges"? Go talk to some Vandy alums in Nashville, I don't think that is exactly how they would describe him. Plus he's got two former players in the pen for 15 years a piece for rape.
    I admit I didn't follow the Vandy issues closely so maybe I don't have a 100% accurate impression of the guy. I can tell he's an arrogant jerk and completely unlikable.

Maybe he's a slimeball like Jimbo Fisher. But of the two I think Franklin is the better HC.

I just don't see a perfect candidate out there.

I like David Shaw the best out of everyone on my list but there's no way he leaves Stanford.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    It seems some are thinking we'll have to have "an interim" guy between CNS and the next big time guy. I reject this idea. No way we should not hire a completely capable coach who ready to win NC now. If Les Miles could do it with LSU's stocked pantry, I believe CNS's successor will be able to as well.

Therefore, I don't see a guy "we don't know now" being CNS's successor. We gonna turn this tricked out sports car over to a guy who "shows up" and has 1 or 2 successful years somewhere without proving he can do it for years? Nah!

I think the key is allowing CNS's successor to be "different" and do it his way, but it should be a proven way that has worked for him at another major school.
    I don't necessarily Disagree with anything you say.

But my post was premised on this hire taking place in Five years. So, my point is - looking at some of the "Better" recent hires in CFB - what did those guys look like FIVE years before they were hired?

I think most LSu fans would still admit that hiring Nick Saban in 2000 was a pretty good hire for them. But who was Nick Saban Five years prior? He was a DC for a Middling NFL team that was mostly mediocre for most of his time as DC. His one College HC job was at a lower division school, and he left after just one year.

Florida fans would tell you that hiring Urban Meyer in 2005 was a pretty good hire. Five years prior to taking the UF job, Urban was a WR coach at Notre Dame, and they never won 10 games in any season he coached there.

Clemson fans think hiring Dabo was a pretty sweet deal. Five years before he took over as Interim HC, he had spent one year as Clem's WR coach, after taking 3 years off from coaching and selling Real Estate. (Not exactly a dazzling resume....)

FSu fans thought Jimbo Fisher was a good hire up until about 9 months ago. He spent three years "hanging out" as "Coach in Waiting" - but Five years before they hired Jimbo for that Heir Apparent position, he only had about 4 years under his belt as an OC, 3 at LSu on very defensive oriented teams, and the best team he'd worked on did win an SEC Title, but also lost three games.

OU fans probably think Lincoln Riley was a pretty good hire - making the Playoffs in his first season. Five years prior, he only had 2 years experience as an OC on some mediocre East Carolina teams..

Just sayin'....
    Last edited by TomFromBama; July 5th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post

Maybe I'm wrong about Dabo.... I just know he used illegal plays to beat us in 2016 and voted us #5 in 2017.
    We'll right now he's looking out for #1 and that's Clemson. But I really think of all the guys available, he's the one who couldn't stand not to come. I may be wrong, but he's got nothing else to prove at Clemson and if he comes and wins just 1 NC at Bama, he's considered legendary.

BamaNation All-American

The first call is going to be to Dabo though right? really the debate here is if he will take it or not.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I like David Shaw but I doubt he leaves Stanford.

Keep an eye on the guy at Iowa State. He did really well at Iowa State and he was playing his 3rd or 4th string QB by seasons end. I would like him to coach at a bigger school first though. Last year might have been a fluke.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    The first call is going to be to Dabo though right? really the debate here is if he will take it or not.
    I would say yes. He's most likely going to be #1 on the list.

BamaNation All-SEC

This thread is still going....ok I will go in a totally different direction here...how about Derek Mason?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    This thread is still going....ok I will go in a totally different direction here...how about Derek Mason?
    Mason is better than his record says. Put him at someplace like KSU, LSU, or Missouri then he would have a better record. But itís too soon to put him up for the Bama job. Yeah I know the Franklin comparison is there but I think Franklin is just a better coach altogether than mason and had a way weaker east.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 5th, 2018 at 03:01 PM.

What mere mortal would want to follow Saban after he has won 12 National Championship titles at Bama?

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I like David Shaw but I doubt he leaves Stanford.

Keep an eye on the guy at Iowa State. He did really well at Iowa State and he was playing his 3rd or 4th string QB by seasons end. I would like him to coach at a bigger school first though. Last year might have been a fluke.
    Matt Campbell, I believe is the ISU coach. Good young coach, but agree with you he would need some success at a more prominent program.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Mason is better than his record says. Put him at someplace like KSU, LSU, or Missouri then he would have a better record. But it’s too soon to put him up for the Bama job. Yeah I know the Franklin comparison is there but I think Franklin is just a better coach altogether than mason and had a way weaker east.
    No doubt his resume doesn't scream "winner" at this point. But there is just something I like about that guy.