Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who? - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

I hope CNS does not make the hire. His advice should be sought, but he should not have an inordinate amount of influence. He does not seem the type to insist, and even then he would never do it directly. Though if he insists who could turn him down? We owe him more than we could ever repay, including one hire, but only if he insists. The ideal would be that Greg Byrne makes the hire - that's his job. Though fit matters, it should have nothing to do with Alabama or Saban ties and he should be given the freedom to run the program as he sees fit.

IMO, the only current coach who has the credentials and might come would be Dabo. If it were a normal person, I would say that he would not come, but Dabo does have a deep love for Bama and his motives may be different than some. A question would be that since there are some who are turned off by his religion, would they allow an atmosphere where he would feel accepted and that he would be given the reigns?

The only apparent possibilities of young unproven guns might be Pruitt who has the smarts, don't know about the wisdom, and the drive and ruthlessness to be successful. He is a great evaluator and recruiter, but can he recruit nationally. Then maybe Lupoi, who is academically smart, but is he football and org smart and would he fit. I mention him because of his great ability to recruit so well nationally. He and Cristobal may be the best in the country. He is aggressive and driven as a position coach, but we don't even know if he will be successful as a DC. Though the likelihood of him being so seems high, some express concern. Again, would he be a fit, is his wife happy here in the small town South?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

At this point Dabo has everything he needs, financial support from the school, respect, job security, ample personal compensation and from what I know his family loves Clemson. This is everything a coach needs. Can Alabama top this, probably not, but there maybe something Clemson cannot compete with, Alabama football and what it means to him. Would it be enough for him to return to Tuscaloosa, don't think any of us know the answer to this.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

BamaNation All-American

I just don't like Franklin because of the ugliness and ugly exit at Vandy.
    I don't care for Jimbo, because of how he didn't reign in Jameis.
    I'd probably nitpick every candidate. I'd hate to be the immediate successor here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I think a young coach would struggle being the guy that replaced the greatest coach ever. I think a more likely scenario is an older coach with a good but not great record who was never able for whatever reason to coach top tier talent. Someone who could handle the pressure and wants to pursue his dream of coaching a national championship team. I'm thinking of a Gene Stallings type of coach. In 10 years or so after Saban hangs it up, most guys mentioned will have already retired or been fired.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Lebron James. He's one of the greatest players to ever play for Ohio State..
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

I could not support Franklin, under any circumstances. I'd have to give up my tickets.

I still think there are powerful factions that would be against hiring Dabo. Personally, I'm not his biggest fan but I could tolerate him - maybe.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    I just don't like Franklin because of the ugliness and ugly exit at Vandy.
    I don't care for Jimbo, because of how he didn't reign in Jameis.
    I'd probably nitpick every candidate. I'd hate to be the immediate successor here.
    Yeah, there are no perfect candidates. Shoot, we forget that even Saban had alienated some people before he came -- too hard to work with, nobody followed him from Michigan State to Baton Rough, an itinerant coach, forever seeing greener grass elsewhere, jerk, impossible to get along with, thinks only of himself, etc., etc.

Now, we all know that's either way overblown or flat-out not true. But that was the downside of his reputation at the time.

One of my points in asking the question is to point out that when you hire a new coach, it's a crapshoot. You just never know. We had proven coaches fail due to poor emotional fit (Fran), insiders fail due to being hopelessly in over their heads (Dubose, and to a lesser extent, Shula), outsiders not understand the demands of the job (Price), and outsiders out of their depth (Curry). Saban was the ultimate outsider, and has succeeded beyond anybody's wildest dreams.

The very thing that made Stallings a success -- an unshakeable belief in his approach to the game -- also gave him a short shelf life as the game evolved, and left him behind. I firmly believe he would have been our version of Les Miles had he not left when he did.

I do think Perkins would have been a success had he stayed, but he was hard to get along with, and the NFL places less of a premium on interpersonal skills. Bryant dying when he did was a real blow to him -- I always thought, had he lived, Bryant would have smoothed out some of Perkins' rough spots in the PR department, and he would have had an easier time in Tuscaloosa, and maybe stayed for the long haul.

But as often happens, I digress. There are no guarantees, and there is no perfect candidate out there. Whoever the next guy is, will have nits that detractors can pick. I do not envy Greg Byrne on this.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I know the issues from Dabo from long ago, but the question is whether it constitutes a youthful indiscretion that he learned from.
    As Clemson hasn't had any NCAA major issues I'm aware of, I think he HAS to be the first call.

Make it off the record. He might have that Coach Bryant hankering for "Mama called." Or he might not, I don't know. But I think
    you have to call him first unless he's so toxic that there's no way to do so. He doesn't have the long-term baggage of a Jackie Sherrill
    or a Lou Holtz so....

If Tom Herman turns out to be the real deal at Texas, I think we go for it.

Why not? It would be amusing to watch the whole, "We have all the money in the world" meltdown tbh with you.

Other names?

Chris Peterson? I think his religion (Scientology) and home (Yuba City, CA, where I used to live btw) make this a strange fit.

Matt Campbell looks like an up and coming coach. Maybe him.

I want to restate what I've said a hundred times: we DON'T want a first-time head college football coach. I said this in opposition to Kirby Smart.
    Right now he's looking pretty good, but it's still more often than not he doesn't.

I also think we call Kirby even though I'm sure the answer is no. I wound up going to the senior prom with one of the hottest girls in my
    high school, even though I assumed the answer would be no. You still ask.

Otherwise - right now - I have no idea.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation All-SEC

I disagree with the poster who Dabo doesn't bleed crimson any more. For a guy who has coached against us for the highest stakes I think he has shown more love for us than most people not coaching at their alma mater would do. I just remember hearing Roger Shultz say that he had talked with Dabo about this and that Dabo indicated that he would not be the one to follow CNS.

rtr

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Chris Peterson? I think his religion (Scientology)
    I had been wondering what people were talking about in regards to his religion. I assumed it was something else. Yikes.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I had been wondering what people were talking about in regards to his religion. I assumed it was something else. Yikes.
    Iíve heard rumors about Scientology, FLDS, and LDS. But I think the Scientologist one was another Chris Petersen that someone confused him with. But itís pretty out there stuff for a guy coming to Alabama. To each their own but Alabama is highly Protestant state which is funny because we have a Catholic coach. But that is still a form of main Christian beliefs whereas LDS isnít.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 6th, 2018 at 09:10 AM.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Think carefully before posting about anyone's religion. The subject is not completely off limits, but TideFans has a very strict rule against disparaging statements. No one has crossed the line yet but let's be careful not to go there.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Coaches will come and go, succeed and fail by the time we will need to replace CNS. I believe Greg Byrne is one of the best ADs in college sports and I feel he will do things the right way and make the best hire possible. If he wants CNS's input I don't believe anyone would object.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino