Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who? - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 176
  1. #53
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,381

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Think carefully before posting about anyone's religion. The subject is not completely off limits, but TideFans has a very strict rule against disparaging statements. No one has crossed the line yet but let's be careful not to go there.
    Yeah. I am not sure what it has to do with coaching at all. But being agnostic in the deep south, I understand that it may not always be the best fit in the Bible Belt to not fit into a more common Christian mold. Southerners are not very accepting in this regard.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    18,004

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Let me backtrack because I was not aware that this was a debunked rumor (I first heard it years ago).

    Petersen is NOT a Scientologist, he is, in fact, Catholic.

    I don't care the color, religious, or for that matter sexual orientation of the head football coach.
    I just want one who will win games fairly and not have a #metoo problem.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

    "In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

  4. #55
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    8,268

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Let me backtrack because I was not aware that this was a debunked rumor (I first heard it years ago).

    Petersen is NOT a Scientologist, he is, in fact, Catholic.

    I don't care the color, religious, or for that matter sexual orientation of the head football coach.
    I just want one who will win games fairly and not have a #metoo problem.

    I heard that he might be a catholic but it seems that every so often some rumor always pops up about his worship. Again I could care less if there is any truth of these rumors as long he is a winner , but you can see how the good country boy nation would raise hell if there was any truth to them or the rumors persisted.

    My overall point is I think he values the west coast life more than being the man at Alabama.

  5. #56
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Let me backtrack because I was not aware that this was a debunked rumor (I first heard it years ago).

    Petersen is NOT a Scientologist, he is, in fact, Catholic.

    I don't care the color, religious, or for that matter sexual orientation of the head football coach.
    I just want one who will win games fairly and not have a #metoo problem
    .
    Agreed. Win me some games (a national title or 2?) and don't be a terrible person.

  6. #57
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    I don't necessarily Disagree with anything you say.

    But my post was premised on this hire taking place in Five years. So, my point is - looking at some of the "Better" recent hires in CFB - what did those guys look like FIVE years before they were hired?

    I think most LSu fans would still admit that hiring Nick Saban in 2000 was a pretty good hire for them. But who was Nick Saban Five years prior? He was a DC for a Middling NFL team that was mostly mediocre for most of his time as DC. His one College HC job was at a lower division school, and he left after just one year.

    Florida fans would tell you that hiring Urban Meyer in 2005 was a pretty good hire. Five years prior to taking the UF job, Urban was a WR coach at Notre Dame, and they never won 10 games in any season he coached there.

    Clemson fans think hiring Dabo was a pretty sweet deal. Five years before he took over as Interim HC, he had spent one year as Clem's WR coach, after taking 3 years off from coaching and selling Real Estate. (Not exactly a dazzling resume....)

    FSu fans thought Jimbo Fisher was a good hire up until about 9 months ago. He spent three years "hanging out" as "Coach in Waiting" - but Five years before they hired Jimbo for that Heir Apparent position, he only had about 4 years under his belt as an OC, 3 at LSu on very defensive oriented teams, and the best team he'd worked on did win an SEC Title, but also lost three games.

    OU fans probably think Lincoln Riley was a pretty good hire - making the Playoffs in his first season. Five years prior, he only had 2 years experience as an OC on some mediocre East Carolina teams..

    Just sayin'....
    I agree we can't see who might become a great coach, but the methodology you seem to be embracing is to find a young, up and coming coach who's had some limited success somewhere else.

    The problem with this is kinda repeats what we did after Coach Bryant and Coach Stallings. And Coach Stallings actually fits the characteristics too. While he won a NC, there was really no evidence he could. So taking younger, promising looking coaches is just too risky because most guys like that aren't championship caliber coaches, as the records usually indicate after 5 or 10 years.

    Right now, the only coach that might fit into this "gambling philosophy" is Lincoln Riley and as bad as I hate to say it Gus Malzhan. And even acknowleging they've gotten their teams deep into the NC hunt, neither have won it.

    So, I go back to the earlier point, we should make Dabo turn it down because he's proven he can build, maintain and actually win a NC and play for multiple others.

    If he turns it down, we start with other very experienced coaches who have shown the capability of long-term success with conference championships and as many playoff appearences as possible.

    If we strike out there, then looking for a guy who's an up and coming guy may have to be resorted to then. In that case, I'd look to someone who's a defensive specialist like Jeremy Pruit who hopefully has put together a few successful years of winning and hiring good offensive coaches.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    At this point Dabo has everything he needs, financial support from the school, respect, job security, ample personal compensation and from what I know his family loves Clemson. This is everything a coach needs. Can Alabama top this, probably not, but there maybe something Clemson cannot compete with, Alabama football and what it means to him. Would it be enough for him to return to Tuscaloosa, don't think any of us know the answer to this.
    I agree. Who knows, but at this stage of his career, you'd think that he wouldn't have a whole lot to lose and a whole lot to gain. If he followed CNS and won just a couple of SEC crowns and 1 NC he's Alabama coaching royalty. If he doesn't, he's still considered a top college football coach for what he's already done at Clemson.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; July 6th, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

  7. #58
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    I hope CNS does not make the hire. His advice should be sought, but he should not have an inordinate amount of influence. He does not seem the type to insist, and even then he would never do it directly. Though if he insists who could turn him down? We owe him more than we could ever repay, including one hire, but only if he insists. The ideal would be that Greg Byrne makes the hire - that's his job. Though fit matters, it should have nothing to do with Alabama or Saban ties and he should be given the freedom to run the program as he sees fit.
    This just leaves me speechless. I mean - words fail me.

    The UNDISPUTED BEST COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME, if not unanimously held so today, then certainly by the time he retires no one anywhere will be able to deny it. But he's too stupid to pick his successor???? To Biased to pick the best choice regardless of pedigree?

    Seems like he's got a pretty good record of hiring assistants and coordinators? How many of the coaches he's hired have left UA without a NC ring? 5 or 6 maybe?, out of what? 15-20 that have worked on our staffs the past 10+ years????

  8. #59
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    35,619

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    This just leaves me speechless. I mean - words fail me.

    The UNDISPUTED BEST COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME, if not unanimously held so today, then certainly by the time he retires no one anywhere will be able to deny it. But he's too stupid to pick his successor???? To Biased to pick the best choice regardless of pedigree?

    Seems like he's got a pretty good record of hiring assistants and coordinators? How many of the coaches he's hired have left UA without a NC ring? 5 or 6 maybe?, out of what? 15-20 that have worked on our staffs the past 10+ years????
    Well he did tell LSU to hire Houston Nutt when he left for Miami...
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  9. #60
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,490

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Don't worry about it, Tom. Coach will have a huge say in who follows him. It is just the way things are. AD's are always asking around for ideas, and who better to influence this hire than the GOAT?

    rtr

  10. #61
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    This just leaves me speechless. I mean - words fail me.

    The UNDISPUTED BEST COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME, if not unanimously held so today, then certainly by the time he retires no one anywhere will be able to deny it. But he's too stupid to pick his successor???? To Biased to pick the best choice regardless of pedigree?

    Seems like he's got a pretty good record of hiring assistants and coordinators? How many of the coaches he's hired have left UA without a NC ring? 5 or 6 maybe?, out of what? 15-20 that have worked on our staffs the past 10+ years????
    This argument doesn't really make sense. Coordinators leave with rings because CNS has a winning formula not because of their ability to be head coaches.


    Personally, I would want his opinion but I wouldn't want him to pick his successor outright.

  11. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    10,200

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    This argument doesn't really make sense. Coordinators leave with rings because CNS has a winning formula not because of their ability to be head coaches.


    Personally, I would want his opinion but I wouldn't want him to pick his successor outright.
    Yes, there's a difference in watching it being done, knowing how it's done, getting close to getting it done (Kirby) and actually doing it.

  12. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    I hope Alabama doesn't become too restrictive when it comes time for a coaching search. The worst thing you can do is narrow things down to someone on Saban's coaching tree or what not. Furthermore, I think it needs to become more about the best candidate and less about anyone's favorite.

    If you look at the best hire Alabama had made in my lifetime, it was Nick Saban, someone with no ties at all to Alabama, or to any of the great Alabama coaches. Shula was a horrible hire, with the only justification being he was connected to Alabama and Don Shula, neither connection proving to have any real value. Alabama's biggest mistake might have been passing on Bowden, who had virtually no ties to the University of Alabama or coaches associated with Alabama, but would have been a phenomenal hire.

    So the main thing here is just don't overthink it, and don't get cute. Look around, see who the best candidate is and go after him.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

  13. #64
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hunts Patch
    Posts
    1,050

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Whoever it is will need to handle the highest expectations. And we fans will need to handle slightly lowered results. Do we fire a coach that goes 10-2 every other year? Gets to the final-4 twice a decade? What is reasonable for any coach not named "Saban"?

    I like the idea of it being Lupoi, especially if he goes through a mid-major for a couple of years to get some HC experience.

  14. #65
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,838

    Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    Whoever it is will need to handle the highest expectations. And we fans will need to handle slightly lowered results. Do we fire a coach that goes 10-2 every other year? Gets to the final-4 twice a decade? What is reasonable for any coach not named "Saban"?

    I like the idea of it being Lupoi, especially if he goes through a mid-major for a couple of years to get some HC experience.
    Assuming the recruiting wheels don't fall off and Saban retires with Bama on top (which I think we all are assuming) then the next coach better be competing for National Championships in his first few years.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar