Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who? - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

Couple of things:

1. I love and respect Coach Stallings for SO many reasons. I've talked to him on a number of occasions and he's just pure class! But, I don't think there's any way to say he was a better hire in '90 than if we could have gotten Bobby Bowden. If we could have gotten him in '87 when we hired Curry, there's no telling what he could have done at Bama. The thing about coaching at Bama is you'll either crumble under the pressure or you'll become better. CNS became better and I think Coach Bowden would have become better. Shoot, Coach Stalling became better too, but their coaching records just don't compare. Just think about the offensive show CBB would have put on at Bama and he probably would have brought Fuller with him and our defense would have been stellar too. The only bright side to us not hiring Bowden is we probably don't have CNS now. And there's no doubt CNS>CBB!!!

2. Someone mentioned how Coach Bryant looked near his death at 69. Nick Saban is closer to 67 than 66 and I'd say comparing the two men's "aging" CNS looks closer to 60 and Coach Bryant looked more like he was 80. So, health wise, CNS appears he could easily coach another 10 years, assuming no major health problems.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; July 7th, 2018 at 01:55 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Couple of things:

1. I love and respect Coach Stallings for SO many reasons. I've talked to him on a number of occasions and he's just pure class! But, I don't think there's any way to say he was a better hire in '90 than if we could have gotten Bobby Bowden. If we could have gotten him in '87 when we hired Curry, there's no telling what he could have done at Bama. The thing about coaching at Bama is you'll either crumble under the pressure or you'll become better. CNS became better and I think Coach Bowden would have become better. Shoot, Coach Stalling became better too, but their coaching records just don't compare. Just think about the offensive show CBB would have put on at Bama and he probably would have brought Fuller with him and our defense would have been stellar too. The only bright side to us not hiring Bowden is we probably don't have CNS now. And there's no doubt CNS>CBB!!!

2. Someone mentioned how Coach Bryant looked near his death at 69. Nick Saban is closer to 67 than 66 and I'd say comparing the two men's "aging" CNS looks closer to 60 and Coach Bryant looked more like he was 80. So, health wise, CNS appears he could easily coach another 10 years, assuming no major health problems.
    Yeah that was me. Bryant smoked Chesterfields and was known to drink (I'm not saying anything that hasn't been talked about elsewhere). And he came from the old country where you don't go to the doctor, too (my Dad is the same way).

Saban looks several years younger than he is, Bryant looked quite a bit older.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    It's the offseason, so I thought I'd ask the board consensus:

One day in the next few years, Nick Saban is going to head to the lake permanently. When that dark day comes, who's in your short list to replace him?

Has to be somebody who would realistically come -- so Belichik (sp?) and Meyer are out. Smart, too.

I'd make Dabo give me an answer, though I really don't think he'd come.

After that, it's tough. There are no perfect candidates -- everybody has multiple weaknesses. But it's a whole lot easier to pick a candidate apart than it is to choose one.

After Dabo, I'd go after Jimbo Fisher.

Then Franklin at Penn State.

Then Pruitt, assuming he does well at UT.

Then Fuente at Va. Tech.

Ater that, I'm out of ideas. What say you?
    Dabo is the obvious first choice...

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Yeah that was me. Bryant smoked Chesterfields and was known to drink (I'm not saying anything that hasn't been talked about elsewhere). And he came from the old country where you don't go to the doctor, too (my Dad is the same way).

Saban looks several years younger than he is, Bryant looked quite a bit older.
    I thought Bryant was in his 80's when he died. I was shocked to learn he was 69. Even looking at pictures now, he looks old as dirt and then some.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

6. July 7th, 2018, 10:21 PM

Reason
    sparring

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Let's tone it down before I am forced to start handing out infractions/suspensions.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC BamaBoySince89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I think a young coach would struggle being the guy that replaced the greatest coach ever. I think a more likely scenario is an older coach with a good but not great record who was never able for whatever reason to coach top tier talent. Someone who could handle the pressure and wants to pursue his dream of coaching a national championship team. I'm thinking of a Gene Stallings type of coach. In 10 years or so after Saban hangs it up, most guys mentioned will have already retired or been fired.
    I kinda like this idea, but question is would it hurt recruiting even more as players would view him as a bridge who may/may not stay long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think a more likely scenario is an older coach with a good but not great record who was never able for whatever reason to coach top tier talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoySince89 View Post
    I kinda like this idea, but question is would it hurt recruiting even more as players would view him as a bridge who may/may not stay long.

Hire a guy who was good not great??? Hire a guy who never coached top tier talent? Why was that? Probably cause he couldn't recruit and/or he's just not a good coach!

Why would you like this idea and then worry about this coach not being able to recruit?

This ain't Bama in 2003. We've got the best program in the country and I don't understand the thought of trying to hire a guy who doesn't have a proven tract record.

BamaNation All-SEC BamaBoySince89's Avatar

Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

Why would you like this idea and then worry about this coach not being able to recruit? .
    I donít see how that wouldnít be a question most would ask assuming the level of recruiting CNS has brought to the table.

Really, I donít care if heís young or old, if he can recruit and sustain a level of success, then Iím good. You wonít really know how anyone would pan out, but that was my opinion...not everyone elseís

Last edited by BamaBoySince89; July 7th, 2018 at 11:47 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoySince89 View Post

"bridge" hires or direct assistants to great coaches rarely work, and never have at Alabama. I think its more likely to have an interim that noone has real expectations with becoming a permanent coach works better than chosen assistant successors. But I would rather hire outside the Saban line and definitely not with his last staff he has here if we do. I would rather have Curt Cignetti or Kevin Steele as our coach than anyone currently on our staff because they wont try to replicate CNS. The issue with point by point replication is that only Nick Saban understands the method to the madness of his system fully.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Don't know & won't worry bout 'til it happens, but, as good of a shape as our football program will be in & as many "Blue Chip" players there will be on the roster When that time comes to pass..

We will have our pick of the litter of the best of the best HC's in college football & maybe some NFL related names as well..

Our dominance won't end as much as the rest of college football hopes it does when Coach Saban retires..

I think the main thing is that Alabama not overlook the obvious choice. For instance, to me it isn't so much about Stallings vs. Bowden, as how on earth was Curry chosen in 1987?

I read something about it, and here are three names on the list. Howard Schnellenberger, Bobby Bowden, and Bill Curry. One of these things is not like the others. Curry was a Georgia Tech guy, a far more powerful program than Miami or FSU was at the time, and he did far less than Schnellengerger or Bowden when he started with more to work with. Curry was 31-43 at Georgia Tech, how on earth did that qualify him for the Alabama job? Alabama couldn't even fall back into the logic that at least he's an Alabama guy or one of Bear Bryant's former players because he was neither. He was just a mediocre college coach, for reasons that I will never completely understand that was desirable to Alabama at the time. Alabama had an obvious choice and made a boneheaded one, and it cost them.

As far as Shula goes, much like the Curry hire, it just didn't make football sense. I don't understand how anyone could sit down in a room and say yeah, let's go with the pro guy with no head coaching experience. His entire coaching career was in the pros, and he had 0 head coaching experience. This is basically like a college team offering Daboll their head coaching job. It made no sense, unless you believed he had genetically inherited his dad's coaching abilities.

Even with Nick Saban, the almost made a disastrous hire. They knew they had a shot at Nick Saban, but still decided to go for Rich Rod. So, to me the main moral of the story is don't let common sense abandon you, even for a moment, otherwise you can make the wrong hire.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think the main thing is that Alabama not overlook the obvious choice. For instance, to me it isn't so much about Stallings vs. Bowden, as how on earth was Curry chosen in 1987?

I read something about it, and here are three names on the list. Howard Schnellenberger, Bobby Bowden, and Bill Curry. One of these things is not like the others. Curry was a Georgia Tech guy, a far more powerful program than Miami or FSU was at the time, and he did far less than Schnellengerger or Bowden when he started with more to work with. Curry was 31-43 at Georgia Tech, how on earth did that qualify him for the Alabama job? Alabama couldn't even fall back into the logic that at least he's an Alabama guy or one of Bear Bryant's former players because he was neither. He was just a mediocre college coach, for reasons that I will never completely understand that was desirable to Alabama at the time. Alabama had an obvious choice and made a boneheaded one, and it cost them.

As far as Shula goes, much like the Curry hire, it just didn't make football sense. I don't understand how anyone could sit down in a room and say yeah, let's go with the pro guy with no head coaching experience. His entire coaching career was in the pros, and he had 0 head coaching experience. This is basically like a college team offering Daboll their head coaching job. It made no sense, unless you believed he had genetically inherited his dad's coaching abilities.

Even with Nick Saban, the almost made a disastrous hire. They knew they had a shot at Nick Saban, but still decided to go for Rich Rod. So, to me the main moral of the story is don't let common sense abandon you, even for a moment, otherwise you can make the wrong hire.
    Mal wanted Saban from the start, but bot and big bucks were getting restless. The idea that a seemingly great up and comer like Rich Rod, Petrino, and Schiano slipping out of their fingers because we were waiting on a man that was going to make us wait until January and probably say No was too much to bare. I think itís easy to look back and say they made the right choice, but Rich Rod was very very well thought of in 2006. He had very impressive accomplishments and a very impressive record.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Hire a guy who was good not great??? Hire a guy who never coached top tier talent? Why was that? Probably cause he couldn't recruit and/or he's just not a good coach!

Why would you like this idea and then worry about this coach not being able to recruit?

This ain't Bama in 2003. We've got the best program in the country and I don't understand the thought of trying to hire a guy who doesn't have a proven tract record.
    There will be tremendous pressure on whoever is hired to replace Coach Saban. Unless there is a can't miss home run hire at the time Saban leaves, hiring someone who can handle the transition may be necessary, so yes a bridge hire a guy, near the end of his career. Right now there is no way of knowing the situation Alabama will be in at the time. It would be foolish to rule anything out.