Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?
Page 1 of 14 1234567811 ... LastLast
    FB|BB Moderator

Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

It's the offseason, so I thought I'd ask the board consensus:

One day in the next few years, Nick Saban is going to head to the lake permanently. When that dark day comes, who's in your short list to replace him?

Has to be somebody who would realistically come -- so Belichik (sp?) and Meyer are out. Smart, too.

I'd make Dabo give me an answer, though I really don't think he'd come.

After that, it's tough. There are no perfect candidates -- everybody has multiple weaknesses. But it's a whole lot easier to pick a candidate apart than it is to choose one.

After Dabo, I'd go after Jimbo Fisher.

Then Franklin at Penn State.

Then Pruitt, assuming he does well at UT.

Then Fuente at Va. Tech.

Ater that, I'm out of ideas. What say you?
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

His clone. Maybe that technology will be perfected by then.

Cristobal

BamaNation All-American

At some point you'd have to give Chris Petersen a look.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar

Lincoln Riley

I'm thinking Tosh if he has the fire. Great recruiter, defensive side of the football (those personalities seem to let the offensive guys do their own thing, the opposite isn't always true), and he's been loyal so far.

I wouldn't be sad to see a more mature Kiffin return, assuming he's learned to be the father of the franchise and not the crazy Uncle you only invite to family reunions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I agree that Dabo is the most qualified of those who'd probably come right now. He's a NC caliber coach who's built and maintained a program that looks like it's going nowhere anytime soon. I also think he's enough different from CNS that it will help him succeed. Yes, I think the one who follows CNS needs to be different in style than CNS, but has proven he can get similar results. Dabo, IMO, in the one who would fit the best right now.

I'm also rooting for Jeremy Pruit to bring UT back to a respectable level. Obviously, I don't won't him to beat us, but if there a rare year we don't play in the SECG and UT did I'd root for him to win it. I miss the days when UT and Bama was a great rivalry. Not sure if we can ever go back to that, but I'm rooting the JP proves he's the kind of coach that might could come back one day. Only time will tell.

OH, I say not to Jimbo Fisher. Just something about him eeks me.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    He may be the best college coach not named Nick Saban.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Peterson is my top pick but I think culturally he may find it difficult to come here ( religious rumors, and always been a west coast guy)

We probably are going to after all the big names you would expect but ultimately I think we are going to settle for someone outside that list.

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I like Chris Peterson a lot. The man wins everywhere and he's coached nowhere but black holes of college football history. He's done more with less talent than any coach I can ever recall. Plus he seems to be a legitimately good guy. I think he's by far the most underrated coach in the country.

Couple of problems though. Assuming that Saban coaches another 4-6 years, Peterson would be pushing 60 before he ever got an offer. He's turned down big programs before but if he were to take an offer from a bigger program, I'd think he'd do it before hitting 60. So age might become a factor at some point.

Plus he's a west coast guy who has proven to be unmotivated by money or prestige. He turned down USC and many other teams years ago and I don't see him changing his priorities at that stage of his career. He's built a machine at a university where he has almost no expectations, little pressure, and makes decent enough money. He's in a conference that is far weaker than the ACC, B1G, or SEC, so he knows he'll always be a playoff contender. After Browning graduates and goes to the NFL, he has another extremely talented QB in Jacob Eason coming in who should put up crazy numbers in that system with 3 years of eligibility left. I don't think he'll ever leave the PNW, and I wouldn't blame him a bit.
    Last edited by BamaHoosier; July 5th, 2018 at 09:15 AM.
    Formerly BamaBomber

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

If I had to choose now, I would choose Dabo. Elite recruiter with elite defenses and offenses. But in 5 years my choice might be vert different.

If Saban coaches another 10 years like some think he might then the coach who replaces him may not even be on the radar screen yet. If he retires within the next 3-4 seasons it would seem Dabo would be the most likely choice.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaHoosier View Post
    I like Chris Peterson a lot. The man wins everywhere and he's coached nowhere but black holes of college football history. He's done more with less talent than any coach I can ever recall. Plus he seems to be a legitimately good guy. I think he's by far the most underrated coach in the country.

Couple of problems though. Assuming that Saban coaches another 4-6 years, Peterson would be pushing 60 before he ever got an offer. He's turned down big programs before but if he were to take an offer from a bigger program, I'd think he'd do it before hitting 60. So age might become a factor at some point.

Plus he's a west coast guy who has proven to be unmotivated by money or prestige. He turned down USC and many other teams years ago and I don't see him changing his priorities at that stage of his career. He's built a machine at a university where he has almost no expectations, little pressure, and makes decent enough money. He's in a conference that is far weaker than the ACC, B1G, or SEC, so he knows he'll always be a playoff contender. After Browning graduates and goes to the NFL, he has another extremely talented QB in Jacob Eason coming in who should put up crazy numbers in that system with 3 years of eligibility left. I don't think he'll ever leave the PNW, and I wouldn't blame him a bit.
    All valid. Don't think he is high on the list when it comes to odds of him replacing Saban. But, based on what we know today I'd give him a call.

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar

All valid. Don't think he is high on the list when it comes to odds of him replacing Saban. But, based on what we know today I'd give him a call
    If we were talking right here, right now, I 110% agree. He's one of the few I think who could slip in behind Saban and not let the program drop at all.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; July 5th, 2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: formatting
    Formerly BamaBomber