Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
#1. I do not think that Dabo follows CNS. I think that if whoever DOES follow CNS flounders that THEN CDS would come, but not to follow Coach Saban.
#2. James Franklin has to be one of the very best coaches in America and he is a guy I would love to consider, but if he builds a legacy at PSU would he want to leave? I am going to say 'no'.
#3. Pruitt has been set up for failure at UTK and he may not even make it three years up there. If they were stupid enough to hire Fulmer as AD then there's no telling what they'd do, but I don't see Pruitt getting a fair shake at proving himself.
#4. No to NFL guys. No to ex-Tide players just because they are ex-Tide players.

My substantial gut is telling me that what Coach would want would indeed be some guy like Golding and that's why I think these young guys were brought in here. Coach wants to show these coaches what it takes to win at the highest levels, the dedication and time it takes, and I think that's what he is doing. He is training one of these guys to take over his job ala Kirby Smart. And who is going to deny CNS if he wholeheartedly endorses his own candidate? My vote is for a Tide assistant who is on the staff when CNS decides to walk away.

And then if it doesn't work out I think that Dabo will come home, even though he'd be thoroughly entrenched at Clemson at that point.

jmo rtr

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It seems some are thinking we'll have to have "an interim" guy between CNS and the next big time guy. I reject this idea. No way we should not hire a completely capable coach who ready to win NC now. If Les Miles could do it with LSU's stocked pantry, I believe CNS's successor will be able to as well.

Therefore, I don't see a guy "we don't know now" being CNS's successor. We gonna turn this tricked out sports car over to a guy who "shows up" and has 1 or 2 successful years somewhere without proving he can do it for years? Nah!

I think the key is allowing CNS's successor to be "different" and do it his way, but it should be a proven way that has worked for him at another major school.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ll say this, whoever we hire will have 5 years to run wild and be in position to win a championship regardless, but after that he is on his own.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
A lot can happen in the next 5+ years, some now considered may be still in the running, others may have gone the other way. The only one mentioned that I could not support is James Franklin. He is an arrogant, lecherous, without morals POS. If he were ever hired I would discontinue what small amount I contribute to the University and never attend a game as long as he is HC.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This is almost impossible to make a guess at because the Top Coaches right now all have factors at play that would not make it ideal for them to come here. It almost will certainly be an 'Off the Radar' NOW coach. I mean here is the Creme right now:

1) Urban Meyer - He has NO reason to leave tOSU and come here to follow a legend when he's a legend where he's at.

2) Dabo - He's becoming a legend at Clemson and likely would not want to follow CNS. He doesn't bleed Crimson anymore.

3) Jimbo - HIGHLY overrated coach imo. Has only achieved anything because of Winston and helped cover his RAPE case to win at all costs. Just a slimeball.

4) Peterson - West Coast guy who has never shown any real interest in coming South or East.

5) Patterson - Quality coach but already 58 and there is no reason to leave TCU. He might want the KSU job after Snyder.

6) David Shaw - This is the Best Young coach out there imo but he's a Cardinal through and through.

7) Kirby - LOL.... you can totally scratch this one off.

8) Chip Kelly? - Just went to UCLA and is seen as a West Coast guy too

9) Franklin - If Shaw isn't the best Young Coach it's this guy. He won at VANDY. Would he leave PSU??

10) Riley - Just had a breakout 1st year at OU.... BIG12 guy.....no reason to leave.

11) Scott Frost - Lands probably his dream job at Nebraska.... he's not leaving.

That's all I can come up with for Top Tier young-ish Head Coaches out there. Beyond that you are looking at older guys and/or guys that don't have much of a Championship pedigree.

Out of my list the 3 Main Guys I think are worth going after are Dabo, Shaw, and Franklin.

I can't see Shaw leaving Stanford. I don't want Dabo here no matter how good he may be.

I guess I'd go hard after James Franklin. He's rough around the edges and not likeable at all. But he's a Winner when it comes to coaching.

If I had to really bet money on this or something I think it will be a CNS Staff Promotion or someone that's on nobody's radar right now.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is almost impossible to make a guess at because the Top Coaches right now all have factors at play that would not make it ideal for them to come here. It almost will certainly be an 'Off the Radar' NOW coach. I mean here is the Creme right now:

1) Urban Meyer - He has NO reason to leave tOSU and come here to follow a legend when he's a legend where he's at.

2) Dabo - He's becoming a legend at Clemson and likely would not want to follow CNS. He doesn't bleed Crimson anymore.

3) Jimbo - HIGHLY overrated coach imo. Has only achieved anything because of Winston and helped cover his RAPE case to win at all costs. Just a slimeball.

4) Peterson - West Coast guy who has never shown any real interest in coming South or East.

5) Patterson - Quality coach but already 58 and there is no reason to leave TCU. He might want the KSU job after Snyder.

6) David Shaw - This is the Best Young coach out there imo but he's a Cardinal through and through.

9) Franklin - If Shaw isn't the best Young Coach it's this guy. He won at VANDY. Would he leave PSU??

10) Riley - Just had a breakout 1st year at OU.... BIG12 guy.....no reason to leave.

11) Scott Frost - Lands probably his dream job at Nebraska.... he's not leaving.

That's all I can come up with for Top Tier young-ish Head Coaches out there. Beyond that you are looking at older guys and/or guys that don't have much of a Championship pedigree.

Out of my list the 3 Main Guys I think are worth going after are Dabo, Shaw, and Franklin.

I can't see Shaw leaving Stanford. I don't want Dabo here no matter how good he may be.

I guess I'd go hard after James Franklin. He's rough around the edges and not likeable at all. But he's a Winner when it comes to coaching.

If I had to really bet money on this or something I think it will be a CNS Staff Promotion or someone that's on nobody's radar right now.
I usually agree with your take on things, but do you really think a guy nobody really knows about now might be our coach in what could be 3 or 4 years from now? Even if it's 7 or 8 years?

I think we probably are underestimating the lure of the Bama job. A guy who is a decent coach could follow CNS and win a NC in the first few years.

I know some on your list probably wouldn't come, but I think some of them would have to deeply consider it. And BTW, I think Dabo will also bleed Crimson!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Franklin, "rough around the edges"? Go talk to some Vandy alums in Nashville, I don't think that is exactly how they would describe him. Plus he's got two former players in the pen for 15 years a piece for rape.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I usually agree with your take on things, but do you really think a guy nobody really knows about now might be our coach in what could be 3 or 4 years from now? Even if it's 7 or 8 years?

I think we probably are underestimating the lure of the Bama job. A guy who is a decent coach could follow CNS and win a NC in the first few years.

I know some on your list probably wouldn't come, but I think some of them would have to deeply consider it. And BTW, I think Dabo will also bleed Crimson!
I was more more or less just saying that there is not an obvious 'Ideal' candidate out there right now. It's not that Bama isn't an appealing job..... but we have to factor in that not many would want to follow the Greastest Head Coach EVER with insane expectations to keep winning NC's every 2-3 years on average.

Nothing wrong with reaching out to any of the guys on my list or any guys I've not mentioned. It's just most likely an unproven assistant or someone not on the radar right now would take it.

Maybe I'm wrong about Dabo.... I just know he used illegal plays to beat us in 2016 and voted us #5 in 2017.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Franklin, "rough around the edges"? Go talk to some Vandy alums in Nashville, I don't think that is exactly how they would describe him. Plus he's got two former players in the pen for 15 years a piece for rape.
I admit I didn't follow the Vandy issues closely so maybe I don't have a 100% accurate impression of the guy. I can tell he's an arrogant jerk and completely unlikable.

Maybe he's a slimeball like Jimbo Fisher. But of the two I think Franklin is the better HC.

I just don't see a perfect candidate out there.

I like David Shaw the best out of everyone on my list but there's no way he leaves Stanford.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
It seems some are thinking we'll have to have "an interim" guy between CNS and the next big time guy. I reject this idea. No way we should not hire a completely capable coach who ready to win NC now. If Les Miles could do it with LSU's stocked pantry, I believe CNS's successor will be able to as well.

Therefore, I don't see a guy "we don't know now" being CNS's successor. We gonna turn this tricked out sports car over to a guy who "shows up" and has 1 or 2 successful years somewhere without proving he can do it for years? Nah!

I think the key is allowing CNS's successor to be "different" and do it his way, but it should be a proven way that has worked for him at another major school.
I don't necessarily Disagree with anything you say.

But my post was premised on this hire taking place in Five years. So, my point is - looking at some of the "Better" recent hires in CFB - what did those guys look like FIVE years before they were hired?

I think most LSu fans would still admit that hiring Nick Saban in 2000 was a pretty good hire for them. But who was Nick Saban Five years prior? He was a DC for a Middling NFL team that was mostly mediocre for most of his time as DC. His one College HC job was at a lower division school, and he left after just one year.

Florida fans would tell you that hiring Urban Meyer in 2005 was a pretty good hire. Five years prior to taking the UF job, Urban was a WR coach at Notre Dame, and they never won 10 games in any season he coached there.

Clemson fans think hiring Dabo was a pretty sweet deal. Five years before he took over as Interim HC, he had spent one year as Clem's WR coach, after taking 3 years off from coaching and selling Real Estate. (Not exactly a dazzling resume....)

FSu fans thought Jimbo Fisher was a good hire up until about 9 months ago. ;) He spent three years "hanging out" as "Coach in Waiting" - but Five years before they hired Jimbo for that Heir Apparent position, he only had about 4 years under his belt as an OC, 3 at LSu on very defensive oriented teams, and the best team he'd worked on did win an SEC Title, but also lost three games.

OU fans probably think Lincoln Riley was a pretty good hire - making the Playoffs in his first season. Five years prior, he only had 2 years experience as an OC on some mediocre East Carolina teams..

Just sayin'.... :)

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe I'm wrong about Dabo.... I just know he used illegal plays to beat us in 2016 and voted us #5 in 2017.
We'll right now he's looking out for #1 and that's Clemson. But I really think of all the guys available, he's the one who couldn't stand not to come. I may be wrong, but he's got nothing else to prove at Clemson and if he comes and wins just 1 NC at Bama, he's considered legendary.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The first call is going to be to Dabo though right? really the debate here is if he will take it or not.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I like David Shaw but I doubt he leaves Stanford.

Keep an eye on the guy at Iowa State. He did really well at Iowa State and he was playing his 3rd or 4th string QB by seasons end. I would like him to coach at a bigger school first though. Last year might have been a fluke.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This thread is still going....ok I will go in a totally different direction here...how about Derek Mason?
Mason is better than his record says. Put him at someplace like KSU, LSU, or Missouri then he would have a better record. But it’s too soon to put him up for the Bama job. Yeah I know the Franklin comparison is there but I think Franklin is just a better coach altogether than mason and had a way weaker east.

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
What mere mortal would want to follow Saban after he has won 12 National Championship titles at Bama?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I like David Shaw but I doubt he leaves Stanford.

Keep an eye on the guy at Iowa State. He did really well at Iowa State and he was playing his 3rd or 4th string QB by seasons end. I would like him to coach at a bigger school first though. Last year might have been a fluke.
Matt Campbell, I believe is the ISU coach. Good young coach, but agree with you he would need some success at a more prominent program.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Mason is better than his record says. Put him at someplace like KSU, LSU, or Missouri then he would have a better record. But it’s too soon to put him up for the Bama job. Yeah I know the Franklin comparison is there but I think Franklin is just a better coach altogether than mason and had a way weaker east.
No doubt his resume doesn't scream "winner" at this point. But there is just something I like about that guy.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I hope CNS does not make the hire. His advice should be sought, but he should not have an inordinate amount of influence. He does not seem the type to insist, and even then he would never do it directly. Though if he insists who could turn him down? We owe him more than we could ever repay, including one hire, but only if he insists. The ideal would be that Greg Byrne makes the hire - that's his job. Though fit matters, it should have nothing to do with Alabama or Saban ties and he should be given the freedom to run the program as he sees fit.

IMO, the only current coach who has the credentials and might come would be Dabo. If it were a normal person, I would say that he would not come, but Dabo does have a deep love for Bama and his motives may be different than some. A question would be that since there are some who are turned off by his religion, would they allow an atmosphere where he would feel accepted and that he would be given the reigns?

The only apparent possibilities of young unproven guns might be Pruitt who has the smarts, don't know about the wisdom, and the drive and ruthlessness to be successful. He is a great evaluator and recruiter, but can he recruit nationally. Then maybe Lupoi, who is academically smart, but is he football and org smart and would he fit. I mention him because of his great ability to recruit so well nationally. He and Cristobal may be the best in the country. He is aggressive and driven as a position coach, but we don't even know if he will be successful as a DC. Though the likelihood of him being so seems high, some express concern. Again, would he be a fit, is his wife happy here in the small town South?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.