Offseason Question: When Saban Retires.....Who?

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I just hope the board has learned something from the fiasco of replacing CPB. Is history due to repeat itself. Many of you were not around when the search was on for CPB replacement. I would just hope they choose in a vacuum and at least listen to what CNS has to say about his replacement. Rumor has it the board went against CPB who want Gene Stallings.
lem
We really have no idea and all of this is just conjecture. I am for one glad that we will have to replace a 2nd time in my lifetime.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bowden built FSU from the ground up, Stallings was just the next emperor of a great empire that had a few bad apples.

Bowden controlled Spurrier, Stallings couldn’t.

Bowden at Alabama could’ve been the team of the 90’s, Stallings was just destined to be just a good strong team.

Last edited by a moderator:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I just hope the board has learned something from the fiasco of replacing CPB. Is history due to repeat itself. Many of you were not around when the search was on for CPB replacement.
This will be ten times worse because of social media. There were long rumors of Bryant retiring plus the mandatory state law that there was the whole ruckus about getting changed or an exemption made. And Bryant actually looked older than he was, Saban looks younger than he actually is...so the rumors haven't really begun to crank up just yet. Saban's enthusiasm after the NCG game was truly remarkable, Bryant was a great interview, but he mumbled like a beloved grandfather by the end.

I would just hope they choose in a vacuum and at least listen to what CNS has to say about his replacement. Rumor has it the board went against CPB who want Gene Stallings.
We really have no idea and all of this is just conjecture. I am for one glad that we will have to replace a 2nd time in my lifetime.
I'm torn on that because of the claim -and I heard it long before Saban came here - that he actually recommended Houston Nutt to replace him at LSU. Granted, he's much older and wiser now, but even at that time (2004) that has to rank as the most mind-boggling suggestion I've ever heard. It's about as stupid as faking a punt at the start of a national title game at your own 20 on fourth and 23, not that Saban would ever do anything that dumb.

As far as the claim that Coach Bryant "wanted" Stallings to replace him....well, I've heard the same basic story about both Ray Perkins and Pat Dye. Bryant allegedly called Dye at Wyoming to tell him not to take the Auburn job when it opened up in 1980 because "you're gonna get this one." Again - how true this is, I have no idea. Bryant Jr said at the 1990 press conference, "This is what Poppa wanted," but why should anyone assume he actually knows? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

And what a lot of people don't recall - that would never happen today - is that Bryant announced his resignation and Perkins was announced the same day. The coaching search was rather quiet. OK, Stoops did it with Lincoln Riley, but you'd be hard-pressed for this to happen in the fall. However, I tend to doubt that Perkins would ever have been here unless Bryant gave him at least a certain level of endorsement, particularly since CPB was staying on as AD.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This will be ten times worse because of social media. There were long rumors of Bryant retiring plus the mandatory state law that there was the whole ruckus about getting changed or an exemption made. And Bryant actually looked older than he was, Saban looks younger than he actually is...so the rumors haven't really begun to crank up just yet. Saban's enthusiasm after the NCG game was truly remarkable, Bryant was a great interview, but he mumbled like a beloved grandfather by the end.
Agree. There was really no comparison between the two in regard to health and energy.

I'm torn on that because of the claim -and I heard it long before Saban came here - that he actually recommended Houston Nutt to replace him at LSU. Granted, he's much older and wiser now, but even at that time (2004) that has to rank as the most mind-boggling suggestion I've ever heard. It's about as stupid as faking a punt at the start of a national title game at your own 20 on fourth and 23, not that Saban would ever do anything that dumb.
That is not just a claim, I heard or maybe read, Coach Saban make that statement in some forum. IMO, Nutt is much better than many think. Many don't like the Rev Nutt aspect of his persona, nor do I. But in fact, he is very good as a game coach and is a great motivator. He gave Bama and Saban at LSU and Bama fits. OTOH, he is mediocre as a program coach at least in part because he is a lazy recruiter. IMO, he would have done much better than Miles for his first 3 or 4 years, then a perceptible decline would have begun. Nevertheless, I would not want him long term. But the bottom line is that CNS is not the AD. Consulted yes, decision no.

That was not a called fake punt, it was an "automatic" call that is in place a lot of the time. I.e., if the punt team sees the return team in a certain formation, they have the option to fake. But because of Muschamp being on the UTx staff, they were aware and seduced Bama. Coach Saban's mistake, which he acknowledged, was that he should have turned off the "auto" because of CWM. But your point that CNS makes mistakes is certainly valid. We all make many.

As far as the claim that Coach Bryant "wanted" Stallings to replace him....well, I've heard the same basic story about both Ray Perkins and Pat Dye. Bryant allegedly called Dye at Wyoming to tell him not to take the Auburn job when it opened up in 1980 because "you're gonna get this one." Again - how true this is, I have no idea. Bryant Jr said at the 1990 press conference, "This is what Poppa wanted," but why should anyone assume he actually knows? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.
While maybe no one here knows, I don't think it is a stretch to think that Coach Bryant's wishes would be know by his son and others. I believe him, especially since he has no reputation that I'm aware of for being deceitful. (I do no know him.) IMO, his statement that you quoted regarding Stallings was very true. I know that I would believe him before Pat Dye. But probably what happened with Dye was that Bryant didn't want him at AU and told him he had a legit chance and that he would support him. Not a lie, but he would support multiple choices who had a chance. Coach Bryant surely knew that he did not have full control of the process even though he was AD. He, like Coach Saban, had great respect for the COC. He supported Coach Perkins and would have supported Coach Dye and maybe others, but preferred Coach Stallings. Coach Bryant had great respect for Coach Stallings as a man and coach. He was probably his favorite. This was widely known in Alabama. I would be surprised if it were not true.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Couple of things:

1. I love and respect Coach Stallings for SO many reasons. I've talked to him on a number of occasions and he's just pure class! But, I don't think there's any way to say he was a better hire in '90 than if we could have gotten Bobby Bowden. If we could have gotten him in '87 when we hired Curry, there's no telling what he could have done at Bama. The thing about coaching at Bama is you'll either crumble under the pressure or you'll become better. CNS became better and I think Coach Bowden would have become better. Shoot, Coach Stalling became better too, but their coaching records just don't compare. Just think about the offensive show CBB would have put on at Bama and he probably would have brought Fuller with him and our defense would have been stellar too. The only bright side to us not hiring Bowden is we probably don't have CNS now. And there's no doubt CNS>CBB!!!

2. Someone mentioned how Coach Bryant looked near his death at 69. Nick Saban is closer to 67 than 66 and I'd say comparing the two men's "aging" CNS looks closer to 60 and Coach Bryant looked more like he was 80. So, health wise, CNS appears he could easily coach another 10 years, assuming no major health problems.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Couple of things:

1. I love and respect Coach Stallings for SO many reasons. I've talked to him on a number of occasions and he's just pure class! But, I don't think there's any way to say he was a better hire in '90 than if we could have gotten Bobby Bowden. If we could have gotten him in '87 when we hired Curry, there's no telling what he could have done at Bama. The thing about coaching at Bama is you'll either crumble under the pressure or you'll become better. CNS became better and I think Coach Bowden would have become better. Shoot, Coach Stalling became better too, but their coaching records just don't compare. Just think about the offensive show CBB would have put on at Bama and he probably would have brought Fuller with him and our defense would have been stellar too. The only bright side to us not hiring Bowden is we probably don't have CNS now. And there's no doubt CNS>CBB!!!

2. Someone mentioned how Coach Bryant looked near his death at 69. Nick Saban is closer to 67 than 66 and I'd say comparing the two men's "aging" CNS looks closer to 60 and Coach Bryant looked more like he was 80. So, health wise, CNS appears he could easily coach another 10 years, assuming no major health problems.
Yeah that was me. Bryant smoked Chesterfields and was known to drink (I'm not saying anything that hasn't been talked about elsewhere). And he came from the old country where you don't go to the doctor, too (my Dad is the same way).

Saban looks several years younger than he is, Bryant looked quite a bit older.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It's the offseason, so I thought I'd ask the board consensus:

One day in the next few years, Nick Saban is going to head to the lake permanently. When that dark day comes, who's in your short list to replace him?

Has to be somebody who would realistically come -- so Belichik (sp?) and Meyer are out. Smart, too.

I'd make Dabo give me an answer, though I really don't think he'd come.

After that, it's tough. There are no perfect candidates -- everybody has multiple weaknesses. But it's a whole lot easier to pick a candidate apart than it is to choose one.

After Dabo, I'd go after Jimbo Fisher.

Then Franklin at Penn State.

Then Pruitt, assuming he does well at UT.

Then Fuente at Va. Tech.

Ater that, I'm out of ideas. What say you?
Dabo is the obvious first choice...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yeah that was me. Bryant smoked Chesterfields and was known to drink (I'm not saying anything that hasn't been talked about elsewhere). And he came from the old country where you don't go to the doctor, too (my Dad is the same way).

Saban looks several years younger than he is, Bryant looked quite a bit older.
I thought Bryant was in his 80's when he died. I was shocked to learn he was 69. Even looking at pictures now, he looks old as dirt and then some.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I think a young coach would struggle being the guy that replaced the greatest coach ever. I think a more likely scenario is an older coach with a good but not great record who was never able for whatever reason to coach top tier talent. Someone who could handle the pressure and wants to pursue his dream of coaching a national championship team. I'm thinking of a Gene Stallings type of coach. In 10 years or so after Saban hangs it up, most guys mentioned will have already retired or been fired.
I kinda like this idea, but question is would it hurt recruiting even more as players would view him as a bridge who may/may not stay long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think a more likely scenario is an older coach with a good but not great record who was never able for whatever reason to coach top tier talent.
I kinda like this idea, but question is would it hurt recruiting even more as players would view him as a bridge who may/may not stay long.

Hire a guy who was good not great??? Hire a guy who never coached top tier talent? Why was that? Probably cause he couldn't recruit and/or he's just not a good coach!

Why would you like this idea and then worry about this coach not being able to recruit?

This ain't Bama in 2003. We've got the best program in the country and I don't understand the thought of trying to hire a guy who doesn't have a proven tract record.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Why would you like this idea and then worry about this coach not being able to recruit? .
I don’t see how that wouldn’t be a question most would ask assuming the level of recruiting CNS has brought to the table.

Really, I don’t care if he’s young or old, if he can recruit and sustain a level of success, then I’m good. You won’t really know how anyone would pan out, but that was my opinion...not everyone else’s

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

"bridge" hires or direct assistants to great coaches rarely work, and never have at Alabama. I think its more likely to have an interim that noone has real expectations with becoming a permanent coach works better than chosen assistant successors. But I would rather hire outside the Saban line and definitely not with his last staff he has here if we do. I would rather have Curt Cignetti or Kevin Steele as our coach than anyone currently on our staff because they wont try to replicate CNS. The issue with point by point replication is that only Nick Saban understands the method to the madness of his system fully.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Don't know & won't worry bout 'til it happens, but, as good of a shape as our football program will be in & as many "Blue Chip" players there will be on the roster When that time comes to pass..

We will have our pick of the litter of the best of the best HC's in college football & maybe some NFL related names as well..

Our dominance won't end as much as the rest of college football hopes it does when Coach Saban retires..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the main thing is that Alabama not overlook the obvious choice. For instance, to me it isn't so much about Stallings vs. Bowden, as how on earth was Curry chosen in 1987?

I read something about it, and here are three names on the list. Howard Schnellenberger, Bobby Bowden, and Bill Curry. One of these things is not like the others. Curry was a Georgia Tech guy, a far more powerful program than Miami or FSU was at the time, and he did far less than Schnellengerger or Bowden when he started with more to work with. Curry was 31-43 at Georgia Tech, how on earth did that qualify him for the Alabama job? Alabama couldn't even fall back into the logic that at least he's an Alabama guy or one of Bear Bryant's former players because he was neither. He was just a mediocre college coach, for reasons that I will never completely understand that was desirable to Alabama at the time. Alabama had an obvious choice and made a boneheaded one, and it cost them.

As far as Shula goes, much like the Curry hire, it just didn't make football sense. I don't understand how anyone could sit down in a room and say yeah, let's go with the pro guy with no head coaching experience. His entire coaching career was in the pros, and he had 0 head coaching experience. This is basically like a college team offering Daboll their head coaching job. It made no sense, unless you believed he had genetically inherited his dad's coaching abilities.

Even with Nick Saban, the almost made a disastrous hire. They knew they had a shot at Nick Saban, but still decided to go for Rich Rod. So, to me the main moral of the story is don't let common sense abandon you, even for a moment, otherwise you can make the wrong hire.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the main thing is that Alabama not overlook the obvious choice. For instance, to me it isn't so much about Stallings vs. Bowden, as how on earth was Curry chosen in 1987?

I read something about it, and here are three names on the list. Howard Schnellenberger, Bobby Bowden, and Bill Curry. One of these things is not like the others. Curry was a Georgia Tech guy, a far more powerful program than Miami or FSU was at the time, and he did far less than Schnellengerger or Bowden when he started with more to work with. Curry was 31-43 at Georgia Tech, how on earth did that qualify him for the Alabama job? Alabama couldn't even fall back into the logic that at least he's an Alabama guy or one of Bear Bryant's former players because he was neither. He was just a mediocre college coach, for reasons that I will never completely understand that was desirable to Alabama at the time. Alabama had an obvious choice and made a boneheaded one, and it cost them.

As far as Shula goes, much like the Curry hire, it just didn't make football sense. I don't understand how anyone could sit down in a room and say yeah, let's go with the pro guy with no head coaching experience. His entire coaching career was in the pros, and he had 0 head coaching experience. This is basically like a college team offering Daboll their head coaching job. It made no sense, unless you believed he had genetically inherited his dad's coaching abilities.

Even with Nick Saban, the almost made a disastrous hire. They knew they had a shot at Nick Saban, but still decided to go for Rich Rod. So, to me the main moral of the story is don't let common sense abandon you, even for a moment, otherwise you can make the wrong hire.
Mal wanted Saban from the start, but bot and big bucks were getting restless. The idea that a seemingly great up and comer like Rich Rod, Petrino, and Schiano slipping out of their fingers because we were waiting on a man that was going to make us wait until January and probably say No was too much to bare. I think it’s easy to look back and say they made the right choice, but Rich Rod was very very well thought of in 2006. He had very impressive accomplishments and a very impressive record.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Hire a guy who was good not great??? Hire a guy who never coached top tier talent? Why was that? Probably cause he couldn't recruit and/or he's just not a good coach!

Why would you like this idea and then worry about this coach not being able to recruit?

This ain't Bama in 2003. We've got the best program in the country and I don't understand the thought of trying to hire a guy who doesn't have a proven tract record.
There will be tremendous pressure on whoever is hired to replace Coach Saban. Unless there is a can't miss home run hire at the time Saban leaves, hiring someone who can handle the transition may be necessary, so yes a bridge hire a guy, near the end of his career. Right now there is no way of knowing the situation Alabama will be in at the time. It would be foolish to rule anything out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Krazy3,

I know I have a few years on you, and I was a senior in HS when we hired Curry. I lived 60 miles from T-Town (Caledonia, MS), my guidance counselor was a UA grad (so we talked football everyday), and I was planning on a journalism future so I read the paper every single day. Plus, my memory is well established, so let me try to go back and describe what it was like at the time as best I can. And as objectively as I can.

I moved to MS in 1984, about 18 months after Coach Bryant passed. Perkins was in place, and he came across as an arrogant and aloof type coach. He was sort of a cross between Bill Belichick and the slickest used car salesman you can think of, the stereotype. He had angered folks by taking down Bryant's infamous tower at the practice field, but his 1983 was almost a carbon copy of Bryant's 1982, which was not a good thing by Alabama standards. In 1984, we had an offense that looked a whole lot like the 2000 offense did. We had some talent (Paul Ott Carruth, Ricky Moore) and we actually did have a pretty good defense that spent way too much time on the field. Perkins had the first losing season since Sputnik and radio talk shows spent much of the fall of 1984 gnashing their teeth and basically wanting to stuff Perkins in a barrel and throw him into the Black Warrior River. Things turned around in the 1985 UGA game, when we first "lost" a game we should have won, but then we won it on Shula's quick comeback drive. We had a team just below national title contender in 1985. Remember, we lost to Penn State and Tennessee by two points each, plus a tie with LSU. We won that unforgettable Iron Bowl and had a bunch of seniors coming back in 1986. Indeed, our name was prominent in the national title talk entering 1986, which is part of why we were more than willing to schedule that Kickoff Classic with Ohio State. Even after Penn State manhandled us in October, we were going to win the SEC. But then we lost a game that to this day I still don't understand to LSU. We outplayed them all night and should have won about 35-7. We lost that and lost to Auburn, and Perkins was back to being an arrogant snit (in the eyes of fans).

Keep in mind that we literally blew the 86 Iron Bowl. We had the lead and lost the game. At the post-game press conference, the VERY FIRST rumor of Perkins to Tampa came up in the form of a question. Perkins denied he was leaving Alabama. This didn't get much press at the time because the bigger issue was that Perkins had suggested prior to the Iron Bowl that since Pat Dye had not played in the Iron Bowl as a player (as Perkins had), he couldn't possibly have the same feeling about the game as Perkins did. (Let's just say Dye was not amused). Keep in mind that even the pro-Alabama factions of the state press didn't look very kindly on Perkins's comment here. (Perkins was also the guy who when asked about the Iron Bowl moving to Jordan-Hare Stadium defiantly said, "It won't happen").

On December 14, CBS commentator Will McDonough (who had contacts everywhere, including the CIA) reported that Perkins was going to take the Tampa job and leave Alabama IF Perkins would be given "full control" of the situation with the Bucs. Perkins came out and denied the report in political speak. He said that he had known McDonough for years and that Will had a lot of resources but that the claim was not true. Perkins further gave the old "I have not spoken with (the owner) about the job" line, and Bucs owner Hugh Culverhouse basically said that he HAD spoken to Perkins but NOT about the job. Of course, all that discussion even in 1986 would have been through the agents.

Both sides were maintaining plausible deniability.

President Joab Thomas even came out three days before the bowl game and gave it the old, "I EXPECT him to be here next season" endorsement.
Perkins spent the lead-in to the Sun Bowl (on Christmas Day that year) denying he was leaving. In fact, it was Perkins (not the press) who brought it up at a pregame press conference. He addressed it and then word got out that he had had a meeting with the players so the game became "what did he tell the team." Bobby Humphrey, Howard Cross, and (irony of ironies) Mike Shula ALL attested the PC "we don't think he's going anywhere" and Shula even threw in that he heard rumors of Perkins leaving/getting fired since 1984.

Btw - what made this more amusing was that the other candidate rumored to be in Tampa's coaching search was former Eagles Coach Dick Vermeil, the guy who had quit in 1982 due to "burnout."

Alabama went out and whipped Washington, 28-6, wrapping up a year of underachievement. On December 30, Perkins finally met with Culverhouse, and the following day (New Year's Eve) Perkins had a press conference to announce he was "not gonna be the Alabama coach" any longer. To give credit - the story broke in the Dallas Morning News with the always reliable "unnamed official at Alabama."

JUST A NOTE:

Bear in mind this is ONLY what broke in public. I have no idea what actually happened at Firebase Tuscaloosa behind the scenes. One story I've heard that makes some good sense is that Culverhouse (who was a UA grad from Bham) hired Perkins to get him out of Tuscaloosa and replace him with, well, someone else (rumored to be Bobby Bowden). I have NO IDEA if this is true, it's just one of the more logical things I've heard through the years.

For starters, the leading candidate ACCORDING TO PRESS REPORTS was NOT Bobby Bowden but another name: Perkins's former teammate and Texas A/M Coach Jackie Sherrill. Yes, I'm serious. The press picked apart Sherrill's answer at a press conference as he was preparing the Aggies (he'd resurrected them from nothing to a Cotton Bowl with Ohio State coming up), too. Sherrill was rumored to be "the leading candidate" and he basically said that he had a job that wasn't finished at College Station. He also gave a variation of the Steve Spurrier answer ("I'm not gonna talk about a job that's not open") by saying it was only rumor, and that neither he nor Alabama had ever had any contact with each other.

Please note that even in 1986 - long before he oversaw probations at ATM and MSU - Jackie Sherrill's reputation was not very good. He had built Pitt into a national contender that twice fell a game short (of course, he had inherited the success of Johnny Majors) and then left for a bushel of money at ATM in 1982.

Here's the list of names as reported by the AP on December 31, 1986:
Jackie Sherrill - who announced he wasn't going to Alabama even before Perkins's departure was announced
Danny Ford
Steve Sloan
Bobby Bowden
Jim Fuller

Isn't there a name conspicuously missing?

Let me remind everyone that in 1986, Danny Ford was a 38-year old coach who had won a national championship at Clemson in only his third season as coach. His record was 66-25-4. But he had been forever tarnished when Clemson got socked with probation in November 1982, some of the violations occurring under his watch. Players had been given cars, TV sets, and expensive clothing. The sanctions were so severe, in fact, that Clemson did not appear on TV in either 1983 or 1984. And in all honesty that - more than anything else - probably ruled out Ford, who you have to figure would have been the front-runner since he met the criteria of "played for Bryant" and "won national championship."

I honestly think that without the probation - and note that the problems had really been introduced to Clemson by Ford's predecessor, Charley Pell (yep, the same one) but continued - I think Danny Ford likely would have been the front-running candidate to replace Perkins.

Jimmy Fuller was given the tag "interim" as Perkins left (he got the same title when Curry left).

Thomas then made a bold statement that probably signaled his intent: he announced that even though Bryant and Perkins had held BOTH the AD and head coaching jobs, he was going to hire two persons for those positions. After the beginning of the new year, we had another name rumored as a possibility, Howard Schenellenberger. About that time, Sherrill then came out and basically announced that he couldn't/wouldn't go to Alabama because of the substantial buyout in his "rollover" ten-year contract.

On Friday, January 2, 1987 - the same day as the infamous Miami-Penn State Fiesta Bowl (played that night) - Bobby Bowden interviewed for the Alabama head coaching job. Bowden was already in Birmingham because - as shocking as this is going to seem now - FSU was playing in the second-rate All-American Bowl on New Year's Eve against Indiana. In the post-game press conference, Bowden was asked if he would take the Alabama coaching position if it was offered. He snapped his fingers and said, "It would take me about that long." There is no question that Bowden wanted the job in 1987. None at all.

But after showing up for that interview - an interview I understand he was NOT happy about - Bowden announced publicly that he was withdrawing from consideration and happy at Florida State. The very same day Bowden interviewed, so, too, did a name that hasn't even been mentioned up until this point: Bill Curry, head coach at Georgia Tech. At this point - with Bowden out of the running - two names were prominent, Curry and Schnellenberger.

ETA: Bowden has repeatedly said he would take the job but not interview for it as there was nothing for the to learn they didn't already know. He showed up thinking he was going to be named coach, opened the door, and seventeen people were staring back at him for an interview. One unconfirmed rumor is that Bowden's family was so sure he was going to get it that they went to a local sporting goods store to buy Tide stuff to wear at the press conference.

On Sunday morning, January 4, 1987, we woke up to read in the newspaper that Alabama had called a press conference for 2 pm that Sunday afternoon and were expected to announce Bill Curry as the new head coach

Think about that. Alabama calling a press conference for a Sunday.....on a day with two NFL playoff games going on, including one at the time of the announcement (Giants vs 49ers). At the PC, Joab Thomas managed to tick off almost everyone in the state of Alabama save for the Auburn fans. He announced Curry as the new head coach, going so far as to say Curry was "our first choice without any question," which was amusing given that he also said that the reason he hired Curry first and foremost was because of his "unquestioned integrity." Thomas was hiring Curry to be what Thomas himself wasn't (at least about the hiring), honest. Thomas then - after making a point of noting that he had been inundated with recommendations that he NOT hire a coach with Alabama ties - then turned right around like a politician and announced he had hired Steve Sloan, former Alabama player, as the AD.

Thomas then went on to make one of the more preposterous statements any President of any school has ever made:
"There's a growing constituency of concerned people who will applaud this move. Two years from now, when we win the national championship, a lot more people will be applauding it - and looking for someone like him."

(One can only surmise what the reaction would have been if Thomas had said, "Nine months from now when we lose to Memphis State..")....

As if what I've told you isn't enough, Thomas then proceeded to blast the angry 99% as "so-called fans" who were happy with "the lowest common denominator." (Folks, I'm not making any of this up.......)

To say that the Crimson Nation as a whole was angry over this hiring is about like saying the Grand Canyon is a big ditch. Thomas admitted during his press conference that he had heard negative things about eight candidates rumored up for the job (I only count seven but okay). The source of the criticism is not hard to locate: Curry's record was 31-43-4 at former arch rival Ga Tech.......and he was 0 for Auburn as well. It was also reported that Ford, Sherrill, and Schnellenberger were NEVER under serious consideration because all three had coaching tenures marked by NCAA investigations. By Thursday, January 8, the story was out that Thomas had received death threats (presumably from Curry's later phantom group, the Alabama Mafia).

And to say that Alabama's admin bungled the coaching search - which basically took all of FIVE DAYS from "appointment of group" to "let's hire the smug, self-righteous one" - is like saying LSU had a poor game plan for the 2012 BCSNCG. In short, Thomas split the job (not necessarily a bad thing - you have to remember that in 1987, Alabama athletics were deep in the red, er, crimson), hired a Bryant player and a guy from the former enemy with the notion that Alabama not be "just a football factory" and play within the rules. Thomas would have spent more time and effort determining a university department head than he did searching for Perkins's replacement.

I know it is common to bash Bill Curry here and Lord knows I've done plenty myself. The ONE thing I will give Coach Curry credit for doing is that the NCAA wasn't sticking its nose around the program, and he didn't let our players devolve into the trash talking, over the top celebrating that was common in the late 1980s (think Miami, Detroit Bad Boyz NBA, and even the Oakland A's in baseball - and it wasn't just these teams). And Curry was not a bad hire in the grouping of the Three A-Mike-os, either.

But let's be honest and admit.....we just plain blew it.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
A bit off track but regarding the fake punt call, automatic or not it wasn't a bad call. It was just poorly executed with an under thrown pass.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A bit off track but regarding the fake punt call, automatic or not it wasn't a bad call. It was just poorly executed with an under thrown pass.
I think it was a part of the Evil Lord Saban's plan.

"Let's call this play here. When they intercept it - instead of let it drop - we take out Colt McCoy on the fifth play. Pure. Evil. Genius.

Obviously I don't believe that but anyway........

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.