Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) - Page 2
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/08/polit...clu/index.html

The American Civil Liberties Union received the list of the names of the nearly 100 children under the age of 5 who were separated from their parents at the border, according to a group spokesman.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/05/u...e-trump-admini

The whole article is worth reading.
    yup I hope the Trump supporters read it. They likely won't even though most of them claim some love for the Libertarian ideals that Reason says they support.

the changes trump has made to h1b's would have destroyed my business if enacted in 99. I was bringing people over from Africa to do tech work that simply didn't exist stateside. This is just such stupid policy. Getting rid of the entrepreneur visa? Sure let's send the entire next generation of tech entrepreneurs to Canada. That will work out well for us.
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    yup I hope the Trump supporters read it. They likely won't even though most of them claim some love for the Libertarian ideals that Reason says they support.

the changes trump has made to h1b's would have destroyed my business if enacted in 99. I was bringing people over from Africa to do tech work that simply didn't exist stateside. This is just such stupid policy. Getting rid of the entrepreneur visa? Sure let's send the entire next generation of tech entrepreneurs to Canada. That will work out well for us.
    The H1B shouldn't exist as constructed. Tying a visa to a specific job/employer gives said employer leverage to dictate pay and control the individual's ability to exercise some of Alito and Gorsuch's idiotic concept of Free Speech in employment negotiations.

What I sense with the GOP is that they'll show more teeth towards the individual laborers imported into this country to do high skill labor and effectively work to suppress the wages but they won't do a damn thing substantial with the legal structure of the visa program to make this more equitable for the domestic and foreign laborers working in this country. That just isn't how this ever seems to work out. LOL
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    The H1B shouldn't exist as constructed. Tying a visa to a specific job/employer gives said employer leverage to dictate pay and control the individual's ability to exercise some of Alito and Gorsuch's idiotic concept of Free Speech in employment negotiations.

What I sense with the GOP is that they'll show more teeth towards the individual laborers imported into this country to do high skill labor and effectively work to suppress the wages but they won't do a damn thing substantial with the legal structure of the visa program to make this more equitable for the domestic and foreign laborers working in this country. That just isn't how this ever seems to work out. LOL
    it is a bad, heavily abused and much needed policy. A very sad trifecta
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I don't care if your politics are left, right or somewhere in between, what we're doing to these families is just evil. These are children, innocent children that we are treating like animals.
    I'm 69 yo and I never in all my years could imagine our government would do this to children.
    We're in trouble and no one in power cares.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    I don't care if your politics are left, right or somewhere in between, what we're doing to these families is just evil. These are children, innocent children that we are treating like animals.
    I'm 69 yo and I never in all my years could imagine our government would do this to children.
    We're in trouble and no one in power cares.
    Iíd say that these people are in power because no one cares. They were elected by people who donít care specifically because they donít care. That needs to change.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTARDIS View Post
    Iíd say that these people are in power because no one cares. They were elected by people who donít care specifically because they donít care. That needs to change.
    If you back out those that act like they care because they are trying to own some moral high ground youíd be even more surprised.

When a societyís standards gradually decline over several decades to the point that to where anything becomes acceptable then nothing is unacceptable.

Thus, things like this happen and no one truly cares. It becomes another politically charged incident in a long list of other incidents. People will appear to care.....but if you dig deep enough usually you will find that the motivation is being triggered by an opportunity to take advantage of the moment.

These are children being used as pawns by an entire slew of adults from their parents to the President and several thousand others in between. Reunite the parents with the kids, put them on buses, give them safe passage to Canada, or back home, whichever they prefer. Give them all $500 gift cards to Tim Hortons and let them continue on with their lives.
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; July 9th, 2018 at 06:25 AM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/polit...ren/index.html

A federal judge in California on Monday flatly rejected the Justice Department's attempt to modify a decades-old settlement agreement that limits the length of time and conditions under which US officials may detain immigrant children.
    "It is apparent that Defendants' Application is a cynical attempt, on an ex parte basis, to shift responsibility to the Judiciary for over 20 years of Congressional inaction and ill-considered Executive action that have led to the current stalemate. The parties voluntarily agreed to the terms of the Flores Agreement more than two decades ago. The Court did not force the parties into the agreement nor did it draft the contractual language. Its role is merely to interpret and enforce the clear and unambiguous language to which the parties agreed, applying well-established principles of law.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Roll Tide Roll!!!

The comment on immigration. Space Force. This (in link). What the hell is he doing and why? Simple projection? Is he a puppet? Some master plan of a genius? I doubt the last one. What is going on in this troubled man's mind?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/polit...ato/index.html
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/polit...sed/index.html

The mother of a 6-year-old girl whose gut-wrenching pleas were heard in an audio recording from a detention center was released from immigration custody Wednesday evening.Cindy Madrid, who was in the Port Isabel Detention Center in Texas, will now head to Arizona where she hopes to see her daughter, Alisson, who is in a facility there.
    Madrid, a native of El Salvador, told CNN she was "very happy to be out" and she "can't wait to see her little girl."
    The two were separated at the US-Mexico border under the Trump administration's zero-tolerance policy on illegal border crossings. The policy has since been reversed after it drew international outcry.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wh...d-sexual-abuse

As migrant children wait in U.S. immigration detention centers to reunite with their families, public records reveal that in the past decade, thousands of people have reported sexual abuse while in a similar type of immigration custody. Emily Kassie, an investigative reporter and producer who obtained the data and spoke to survivors for The New York Times, joins Hari Sreenivasan for more.

Approximately 2,500 children separated at the border from their families are supposed to be reunited by July 26. While the country pays attention to that story, thereís another detention story, which has gotten less coverage ó that is allegations of abuse inside detention centers. Data from the Department of Homeland Securityís Office of the inspector general show that thousands of migrants have claimed they were sexually abused while in ICE custody. Emily Kassie, an investigative journalist and filmmaker with The Marshall Project joins me now to discuss her latest documentary from the New York Times. First, letís take a look at a clip. That is a clear gap in their perception of how or what this relationship was. How widespread is this problem?

EMILY KASSIE:
    So sexual abuse in immigration detention has been happening for decades. These cases have come up for watchdog organizations. We want to take a deeper look and really understand the extent to which this was happening. And so, we were looking at two sets of data. One was from the Office of the Inspector General which you mentioned and then the other was from ICE itself that was looking at 1,310 allegations of sexual abuse occurring between 2013 and 2017. So, we were looking at those two sets of data but understanding that there were a number of issues with those sets of that. The first, of course, is that this issue is largely under reported. Weíre talking about a population who are often fleeing violence and persecution, who are often asylum seekers, who donít speak the language as in the case of Eddie and the guard Daniel Sharkey. He didnít speak Spanish, he didnít speak English. Many of these people donít have access to lawyers because theyíre not entitled to one. So who theyíre going to report these things to is very difficult if you donít have that access to a lawyer. And then beyond that there is this fear of deportation if you tell someone, will you be deported back?