Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/poli...-administration-detaining-children/index.html

A federal judge in California on Monday flatly rejected the Justice Department's attempt to modify a decades-old settlement agreement that limits the length of time and conditions under which US officials may detain immigrant children.
"It is apparent that Defendants' Application is a cynical attempt, on an ex parte basis, to shift responsibility to the Judiciary for over 20 years of Congressional inaction and ill-considered Executive action that have led to the current stalemate. The parties voluntarily agreed to the terms of the Flores Agreement more than two decades ago. The Court did not force the parties into the agreement nor did it draft the contractual language. Its role is merely to interpret and enforce the clear and unambiguous language to which the parties agreed, applying well-established principles of law.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/politics/migrant-mother-cindy-madrid-released/index.html

The mother of a 6-year-old girl whose gut-wrenching pleas were heard in an audio recording from a detention center was released from immigration custody Wednesday evening.Cindy Madrid, who was in the Port Isabel Detention Center in Texas, will now head to Arizona where she hopes to see her daughter, Alisson, who is in a facility there.
Madrid, a native of El Salvador, told CNN she was "very happy to be out" and she "can't wait to see her little girl."
The two were separated at the US-Mexico border under the Trump administration's zero-tolerance policy on illegal border crossings. The policy has since been reversed after it drew international outcry.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/while-in-ice-custody-thousands-of-migrants-reported-sexual-abuse

As migrant children wait in U.S. immigration detention centers to reunite with their families, public records reveal that in the past decade, thousands of people have reported sexual abuse while in a similar type of immigration custody. Emily Kassie, an investigative reporter and producer who obtained the data and spoke to survivors for The New York Times, joins Hari Sreenivasan for more.

Approximately 2,500 children separated at the border from their families are supposed to be reunited by July 26. While the country pays attention to that story, there’s another detention story, which has gotten less coverage — that is allegations of abuse inside detention centers. Data from the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of the inspector general show that thousands of migrants have claimed they were sexually abused while in ICE custody. Emily Kassie, an investigative journalist and filmmaker with The Marshall Project joins me now to discuss her latest documentary from the New York Times. First, let’s take a look at a clip. That is a clear gap in their perception of how or what this relationship was. How widespread is this problem?

EMILY KASSIE:
So sexual abuse in immigration detention has been happening for decades. These cases have come up for watchdog organizations. We want to take a deeper look and really understand the extent to which this was happening. And so, we were looking at two sets of data. One was from the Office of the Inspector General which you mentioned and then the other was from ICE itself that was looking at 1,310 allegations of sexual abuse occurring between 2013 and 2017. So, we were looking at those two sets of data but understanding that there were a number of issues with those sets of that. The first, of course, is that this issue is largely under reported. We’re talking about a population who are often fleeing violence and persecution, who are often asylum seekers, who don’t speak the language as in the case of Eddie and the guard Daniel Sharkey. He didn’t speak Spanish, he didn’t speak English. Many of these people don’t have access to lawyers because they’re not entitled to one. So who they’re going to report these things to is very difficult if you don’t have that access to a lawyer. And then beyond that there is this fear of deportation if you tell someone, will you be deported back?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
How about it’s wrong whoever did it? I don’t give a flying crap who started it. It needs to stop.

Your cult leader could stop it & instead he’s made it worse intentionally. Why don’t you address that instead of crying about Obama?

For the sake of argument let’s just say...

Obama did it too!!!!

Ok, and then? Obama isn’t the President anymore. Trump is. You guys cheer every time Trump undoes something of Obama’s but because this is hurting brown people you don’t like you’re using Obama as a crutch to justify it continuing.
Exactly spoken as a true liberal. You don't give a crap when YOU do it but WE can't do it. Well done.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Exactly spoken as a true liberal. You don't give a crap when YOU do it but WE can't do it. Well done.
Except I'm not a true liberal. Nice try though. It was spoken as someone that criticized Obama all the time. Why don't you stop using bogeymen as your excuse to cover for the garbage you're supporting?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Except I'm not a true liberal. Nice try though. It was spoken as someone that criticized Obama all the time. Why don't you stop using bogeymen as your excuse to cover for the garbage you're supporting?
there is always an excuse for the support, or for being an apologist for the support. anyway, we have to ensure "safety and security" from those people

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
there is always an excuse for the support, or for being an apologist for the support. anyway, we have to ensure "safety and security" from those people
It was safety and security that justified dogs and waterhoses on peaceful marches as well. Definitely nothing other than safety and security.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Tell me why people try to enter the US illegally, instead of through our established entry ways?

Are they just uninformed of what they are supposed to do - and how to do it?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Tell me why people try to enter the US illegally, instead of through our established entry ways?

Are they just uninformed of what they are supposed to do - and how to do it?
because there is no longer any real legal ways to do so for most of them and the Trump admin is trying to get rid of more legal ways

this is from 2014 but still relevant even though Trump has tightened all of this way up

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
because there is no longer any real legal ways to do so for most of them and the Trump admin is trying to get rid of more legal ways

this is from 2014 but still relevant even though Trump has tightened all of this way up

Hmmm. It's almost like there was a process already in place and Trump/GOP just manufactured this "issue" out of a non-issue. I guess it makes the rubes feel better though. This way they can feel better about someone "stealing their job" vs the sad truth that their 1950's manufacturing job doesn't exist in today's economy. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings by telling them the truth.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Hmmm. It's almost like there was a process already in place and Trump/GOP just manufactured this "issue" out of a non-issue. I guess it makes the rubes feel better though. This way they can feel better about someone "stealing their job" vs the sad truth that their 1950's manufacturing job doesn't exist in today's economy. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings by telling them the truth.
it's sad how readily they eat this stuff up.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Thanks, Jon. The fine print at the bottom of your image says 2008.......not 2014. I don't know what's changed in the past 10 years so may be a moot point.

I admit, I'm not educated on the process, so just looking to get some facts on the whole situation.

So, looks like we have a process in place --- but there's a limitation of how many people we let in and who we let in, based on a set of criteria?

Is that correct?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Thanks, Jon. The fine print at the bottom of your image says 2008.......not 2014. I don't know what's changed in the past 10 years so may be a moot point.

I admit, I'm not educated on the process, so just looking to get some facts on the whole situation.

So, looks like we have a process in place --- but there's a limitation of how many people we let in and who we let in, based on a set of criteria?

Is that correct?
This provides some good information as well.

https://www.us-immigration.com/us-i...migrant-to-legally-come-to-the-united-states/

Folks who win the green card lottery don't have to wait as long.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.