Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) - Page 4
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Re: Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    This provides some good information as well.

https://www.us-immigration.com/us-im...united-states/

Folks who win the green card lottery don't have to wait as long.
    Thanks....that was helpful.

If you are in a hurry, you aren't going to go the legal route, looks like.

Or - if you can't afford the costs - or can't get a sponsor - or don't have qualifying skills - or education. Those are reasons not to go the legal route.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Thanks, Jon. The fine print at the bottom of your image says 2008.......not 2014. I don't know what's changed in the past 10 years so may be a moot point.

I admit, I'm not educated on the process, so just looking to get some facts on the whole situation.

So, looks like we have a process in place --- but there's a limitation of how many people we let in and who we let in, based on a set of criteria?

Is that correct?
    I found it on a 2014 blog post on Reason.com https://reason.com/blog/2014/11/20/l...tion-explained

looks like they took it from Reason Magazine from 2008

on your bolds, if that is how you want to read it, sure

to me we don't really have legal immigration in this country anymore for anyone not already tied to here. My grandparents came from Italy, Germany, Ireland, England with no family already in the US. That simply cannot happen today
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I found it on a 2014 blog post on Reason.com https://reason.com/blog/2014/11/20/l...tion-explained

looks like they took it from Reason Magazine from 2008

on your bolds, if that is how you want to read it, sure

to me we don't really have legal immigration in this country anymore for anyone not already tied to here. My grandparents came from Italy, Germany, Ireland, England with no family already in the US. That simply cannot happen today
    Thanks, Jon

Immigration policy in our country is something that's used for political purposes. Fair game.

ALL policy in our country should be understood by the citizens, IMHO. That's all I'm trying to do.

We are a different country than when our ancestors came here.

I've often said that we are going backwards.

That doesn't mean everything we have in place is wrong.

In certain regards, it's how our culture has changed - and not for the good.

I welcome opposing views.....as I said in the 'Civility' thread....civil discourse is part of our fabric and shouldn't be discouraged.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Thanks....that was helpful.

If you are in a hurry, you aren't going to go the legal route, looks like.

Or - if you can't afford the costs - or can't get a sponsor - or don't have qualifying skills - or education. Those are reasons not to go the legal route.
    The process diagram posted earlier is a little misleading in that the final box that states "total time to immigrate and become a citizen" could say "total time to become a citizen" because the person has already immigrated earlier in the process.

Most immigrants receive visas in the family or employment based categories.

A handful (50,000) are awarded annually using the diversity visa lottery and there is no linkage to the US required for these. There were over 14.000,000 entrants in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    The process diagram posted earlier is a little misleading in that the final box that states "total time to immigrate and become a citizen" could say "total time to become a citizen" because the person has already immigrated earlier in the process.

Most immigrants receive visas in the family or employment based categories.

A handful (50,000) are awarded annually using the diversity visa lottery and there is no linkage to the US required for these. There were over 14.000,000 entrants in 2018.
    Thanks!

Flow charts are great - they really make it easy to see how certain processes work.

That one seemed to have an agenda though...lol.....

BamaNation All-American sabanball's Avatar

How many people are crossing the border illegally?

There’s no official measure of how many people succeed in illegally crossing the border, but authorities use the number of apprehensions to gauge changes in illegal immigration. Apprehensions on the Southwest border peaked in 2000 at 1.64 million and have generally declined since, totaling 303,916 in 2017.

Those numbers, which come from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, are for fiscal years and date back to 1960.
    Just for comparison purposes:

Source:
    https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/il...on-statistics/

Top 26 largest armies in the world from 2017-

Rank Country Active Military
    1 China 2,183,000
    2 India 1,395,100
    3 United States 1,347,300
    4 North Korea 1,190,000
    5 Russia 831,000

6 Pakistan 653,800
    7 South Korea 630,000
    8 Iran 523,000
    9 Vietnam 482,000
    10 Egypt 438,500

11 Myanmar 406,000
    12 Indonesia 395,500
    13 Thailand 360,850
    14 Turkey 355,200
    15 Brazil 334,500

16 Colombia 293,200
    17 Mexico 277,150
    18 Japan 247,150
    19 Sudan 244,300
    20 Sri Lanka 243,000

21 Saudi Arabia 227,000
    22 Taiwan 215,000
    23 Ukraine 204,000
    24 France 202,950
    25 Eritrea 201,750
    26 Morocco 195,800

Source:
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

no bueno

Migrant Surge In El Paso Strains Border Patrol

March 25, 20196:05 PM ET
    Heard on All Things Considered

El Paso is the new illegal crossing hot spot on the southern border. Officials say they have run out of room to process migrants, and they're encountering more and more infectious diseases.
    AILSA CHANG, HOST:

Federal officials say the southern border is out of control. The Border Patrol is on track to stop nearly 100,000 migrants crossing illegally this month. The newest hot spot - El Paso, Texas. One day last week, agents there apprehended 400 people in five minutes. And many migrants are coming with infectious diseases. That's put a strain on the Border Patrol, which is bringing in more agents and asking the Pentagon for more help. NPR's John Burnett has our report.
    Go to linked story for rest.....worth the read.

Or listen to the audio here: LINK
    Last edited by Bazza; March 27th, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

Migrant Surge In El Paso Strains Border Patrol

March 25, 20196:05 PM ET
    Heard on All Things Considered

Go to linked story for rest.....worth the read.

Or listen to the audio here: LINK
    There was an interview with the Mayor of El Paso this morning which drove home the points made here. I'm sure it can be found on the NPR site as soon as Morning Edition is over...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Wait...what? NPR is reporting hundreds of thousands of illegals are crossing our border and many have infectious diseases? This just can't be. Fake news!

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Wait...what? NPR is reporting hundreds of thousands of illegals are crossing our border and many have infectious diseases? This just can't be. Fake news!
    I know - blue font.

But I will say I really like the style of reporting where I'm not being shouted at - overwhelmed by special effects (flashing lights and movie sound effects) - or lectured.

NPR just gives you the information. No bells and whistles. And certainly no spin.

Almost as soothing as watering my plants at the end of a long day.

Almost, I said....

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Quoted:

BURNETT: A Border Patrol official tells NPR that more migrants are arriving with communicable illnesses, such as flu, mumps, impetigo - a rash that occurs among children - and even one case of flesh-eating bacteria. Agents are making 50 hospital runs a day with sick immigrants. In December, two Guatemalan children died in Border Patrol custody in the El Paso sector. Since then, there's been criticism that agents are unprepared for the surge of vulnerable immigrants carrying illnesses and that holding facilities lack even basic medical care. Again, agent Ramiro Cordero.

Flu - meh. It's flu season. People here won't even get their flu shot. No need to worry about immigrants with it. It's already here.

Mumps - get your kid immunized.

Impetigo - easily treated with antibiotics and unless you are coming in close contact nothing to worry about. At least one kid at your kid's school has likely had it relatively recently.

We should be concerned that holding facilities do not have proper medical care, not over these things.

ETA: Flesh eating bacteria...well

Necrotizing Fasciitis Is Rarely Contagious

Most cases of necrotizing fasciitis occur randomly. It is very rare for someone with necrotizing fasciitis to spread the infection to other people. For this reason, doctors usually do not give preventive antibiotics to close contacts of someone with necrotizing fasciitis.

https://www.cdc.gov/groupastrep/dise...fasciitis.html
    Last edited by NationalTitles17; March 28th, 2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Quoted:

BURNETT: A Border Patrol official tells NPR that more migrants are arriving with communicable illnesses, such as flu, mumps, impetigo - a rash that occurs among children - and even one case of flesh-eating bacteria. Agents are making 50 hospital runs a day with sick immigrants. In December, two Guatemalan children died in Border Patrol custody in the El Paso sector. Since then, there's been criticism that agents are unprepared for the surge of vulnerable immigrants carrying illnesses and that holding facilities lack even basic medical care. Again, agent Ramiro Cordero.

Flu - meh. It's flu season. People here won't even get their flu shot. No need to worry about immigrants with it. It's already here.

Mumps - get your kid immunized.

Impetigo - easily treated with antibiotics and unless you are coming in close contact nothing to worry about. At least one kid at your kid's school has likely had it relatively recently.

We should be concerned that holding facilities do not have proper medical care, not over these things.

ETA: Flesh eating bacteria...well

https://www.cdc.gov/groupastrep/dise...fasciitis.html
    Well, if we build barriers to deter them from coming, we wouldn't have to house and treat them right?

Necrotizing Fasciitis Is Rarely Contagious
    Those are some words I never expected to hear today (or any day)