Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Re: Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    Tip of the spear?
    That phrase was used in the dialogue by one of the immigration enforcement officials who spoke.

Reminds me of this fine performance by the late great Bill Paxton:

"Old dog - new tricks"

Tip of the spear?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar

Tip of the spear?
    I’m not sure about the origin of the phrase. Some military historian out there may be able to shine a light on it (Tidewater?). But it’s long been in use in military circles, particularly in the Special Operations community. I first heard the phrase about 22 years ago in that context.

Roughly analogous to “where the rubber meets the road”. It’s the “business end” of any complex instrument or organization. In the case of Special Operations and “tip of the spear”, there’s a second more pointed meaning (pun intended): It’s the first element in.

"Old dog - new tricks"

It's always someone else's problem with some folks. People clamoring that we should have open borders never seem to want immigrants living under their own roof or in tents in their own yard.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American

People seem to forget that before asylum seekers were mandated to be in detention centers, many were allowed to go live with relatives already here while they waited for their day to have their case heard. This spread out the resources required to take care of them so no one city took an disproportionate hit with regards to over saturating a given city with a flood of asylum seekers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    People seem to forget that before asylum seekers were mandated to be in detention centers, many were allowed to go live with relatives already here while they waited for their day to have their case heard. This spread out the resources required to take care of them so no one city took an disproportionate hit with regards to over saturating a given city with a flood of asylum seekers.
    if I didn't know any better it may seem like this admin completely manufactured this crisis by turning everything on its head
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    It's always someone else's problem with some folks. People clamoring that we should have open borders never seem to want immigrants living under their own roof or in tents in their own yard.
    nobody is really clamoring for open borders.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    I am probably closest to anyone for open borders. If this is a left/right issue (and it ISN'T) I would be considered left of most politicians. And even I don't want fully open borders

Back in the day most Mexican labor came into the country did seasonal work and then returned to Mexico where they preferred to stay in their home villages. The US was simply a place to earn for a few months not where they wanted to move to. We changed that when we militarized the border in the early 70's.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/do...10.1086/684200
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am probably closest to anyone for open borders. If this is a left/right issue (and it ISN'T) I would be considered left of most politicians. And even I don't want fully open borders

Back in the day most Mexican labor came into the country did seasonal work and then returned to Mexico where they preferred to stay in their home villages. The US was simply a place to earn for a few months not where they wanted to move to. We changed that when we militarized the border in the early 70's.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/do...10.1086/684200
    ssdd

They argue theoretically that border enforcement emerged as a policy response to a moral panic about the perceived threat of Latino immigration to the United States propounded by self-interested bureaucrats, politicians, and pundits who sought to mobilize political and material resources for their own benefit. The end result was a self-perpetuating cycle of rising enforcement and increased apprehensions that resulted in the militarization of the border in a way that was disconnected from the actual size of the undocumented flow.

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon

ssdd
    pretty much. Malcom Gladwell's Revisionist History Podcast does a great episode on this, General Chapman's Last Stand. It paints a rosier picture of the past as Gladwell tends to do, but it also shows how we unintentionally created a problem where one didn't exist. Worth a listen. Not that it matters, we as a country have conclusively proven that we have no desire to look at evidence and act accordingly. Our feelings and pre-conceived notions are all that matter. "We've been doing it wrong for a while doubling down and doing it even more wrong should fix it" should replace E Pluribus Unum as our national motto

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

So you're in favor of a wall or some other mechanism to limit illegal immigrants from crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    So you're in favor of a wall or some other mechanism to limit illegal immigrants from crossing?
    cute

- George Orwell

— Thomas Pynchon