Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Most Libertarians believe in open borders.

Even if they aren't clamoring for open borders, many of my left-leaning friends want these people set free here in the US. As long as it's not in their house or yard, that is. That's the point.
to the extent that i have a say in it, i say let them come to atlanta.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
to the extent that i have a say in it, i say let them come to atlanta.
And where will they stay? Who will feed them, provide them with work?

I get it - I'm fine with people willing to work and benefit our society coming to Memphis - but the details of how they're going to live, at least initially, until they get on their own feet, is the part that gives many pause.

And why that tweet is so interesting.

She's been an advocate for LA being a sanctuary city, but when the reality of it hits her, she realizes that they cannot even deal with the homeless / out of work / hungry that are already here.

It's a complicated issue.

ETA: I mean, would you house them? Let them camp in tents in your yard? Most are willing to advocate this but it is someone else's responsibility to actually deal with the reality of them living here.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
just a guess, but i imagine they would integrate into the large immigrant communities that already live, work, and feed themselves here. there are lots of churches in the area that have programs that help settle refuges and immigrants

and honestly, i don’t care what cher thinks about anything.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
And where will they stay? Who will feed them, provide them with work?

I get it - I'm fine with people willing to work and benefit our society coming to Memphis - but the details of how they're going to live, at least initially, until they get on their own feet, is the part that gives many pause.

And why that tweet is so interesting.

She's been an advocate for LA being a sanctuary city, but when the reality of it hits her, she realizes that they cannot even deal with the homeless / out of work / hungry that are already here.

It's a complicated issue.

ETA: I mean, would you house them? Let them camp in tents in your yard? Most are willing to advocate this but it is someone else's responsibility to actually deal with the reality of them living here.
how about we start here? https://friendsofrefugees.com/about-friends-of-refugees/

This group is amazing for what they have been able to do for Refugee's here in the Atlanta Metro

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
For what it is worth, we have, several times.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
The problem is the rate at which they will arrive. I know there are good folks everywhere that will want to help people in need, but if 100,000 show up they will not be able to keep up. Do you think Atlanta could absorb 100,000 without creating a terrible situation for that community?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The problem is the rate at which they will arrive. I know there are good folks everywhere that will want to help people in need, but if 100,000 show up they will not be able to keep up. Do you think Atlanta could absorb 100,000 without creating a terrible situation for that community?
That speaks to the unrealistic nature of Trump's policies--he's not interested in these migrants actually getting assistance, but in overloaded the capabilities of cities that oppose his policies.

Then, when the cities either balk or have problems due to the sheer volume, he can then caper and gibber about how it all goes to prove that we have an emergency.

We do have an emergency, of course, but it's in the White House, not at our borders.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
don't worry, be happy.

Videos appear to show armed militia detaining migrants at US-Mexico border

Armed rightwing militia members detained a large group of migrants at the US-Mexico border and coordinated with US border patrol agents to have them arrested, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, in a series of actions the civil liberties organization called a “kidnapping” and a flagrant violation of the law.

Several videos taken at the border in New Mexico this week appeared to show men belonging to a group that calls itself the United Constitutional Patriots approaching migrant families and children, ordering them to sit down, calling federal agents on them, and at one point potentially misrepresenting themselves by saying “border patrol” as they approached.

“The Trump administration’s vile racism has emboldened white nationalists and fascists to flagrantly violate the law,” the ACLU of New Mexico said in a letter to the state’s governor and attorney general, urging them to “immediately investigate this atrocious and unlawful conduct”.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Were they wearing brown shirts?
but it's totally not the same. these guys are just economically anxious and want to ensure a great america.

anyway, this is no worse than those times when obama rounded up real-americans and put them in fema re-education camps

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Proof positive of why you should have to pass a test to be able to vote......
I hear ya but they give you tests in high school don't they? Most voters are high school grads, I'd venture.

Do they teach Civics in school any more?

With our 24 hour news cycle though, I would love to see a channel devoted 100% to how government runs and is structured. Probably have a hard time competing for ratings against "Keeping up with the Kardasians" or (insert any other reality show here).

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I hear ya but they give you tests in high school don't they? Most voters are high school grads, I'd venture.

Do they teach Civics in school any more?

With our 24 hour news cycle though, I would love to see a channel devoted 100% to how government runs and is structured. Probably have a hard time competing for ratings against "Keeping up with the Kardasians" or (insert any other reality show here).
Do you mean something like c-span?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Do you mean something like c-span?
I LOVE C-Span but it mostly just covers proceedings....which I agree is useful for those unfamiliar with how government works.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of all the basic civics stuff that you should know as a citizen and also the things that might be asked during a citizenship test.

For example:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
an update on these douchebag "patriots"

but this wouldn't be happening if schoolhouse rock was still on tv

Militia leader allegedly claimed his group was training to assassinate Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, court papers said

"Hopkins also allegedly made the statement that the United Constitutional Patriots were training to assassinate George Soros, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, because of these individuals' support of Antifa," according to court papers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.