Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
From today. Audio doesn't kick in until about the 5 minute mark. Lots of praise from those who are at the tip of the spear and dealing with the problems.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
From today. Audio doesn't kick in until about the 5 minute mark. Lots of praise from those who are at the tip of the spear and dealing with the problems.

this just in Fox News breaks from their norm and produces a puff piece on Trump

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
fox provides one with a big picture view of what's happening.
If only there was some article that someone could link on this board explaining how Fox News had profited greatly as a modern day king maker, and their relationship between Fox, its viewers, and the election of Trump. I’m sure that would be read in its entirety and used to possibly shape ones world view as a source of information outside the right wing bubble. It is a shame that nothing like that has been posted in the past few days.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Tip of the spear?
I’m not sure about the origin of the phrase. Some military historian out there may be able to shine a light on it (Tidewater?). But it’s long been in use in military circles, particularly in the Special Operations community. I first heard the phrase about 22 years ago in that context.

Roughly analogous to “where the rubber meets the road”. It’s the “business end” of any complex instrument or organization. In the case of Special Operations and “tip of the spear”, there’s a second more pointed meaning (pun intended): It’s the first element in.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
People seem to forget that before asylum seekers were mandated to be in detention centers, many were allowed to go live with relatives already here while they waited for their day to have their case heard. This spread out the resources required to take care of them so no one city took an disproportionate hit with regards to over saturating a given city with a flood of asylum seekers.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
People seem to forget that before asylum seekers were mandated to be in detention centers, many were allowed to go live with relatives already here while they waited for their day to have their case heard. This spread out the resources required to take care of them so no one city took an disproportionate hit with regards to over saturating a given city with a flood of asylum seekers.
if I didn't know any better it may seem like this admin completely manufactured this crisis by turning everything on its head

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
nobody is really clamoring for open borders.
I am probably closest to anyone for open borders. If this is a left/right issue (and it ISN'T) I would be considered left of most politicians. And even I don't want fully open borders

Back in the day most Mexican labor came into the country did seasonal work and then returned to Mexico where they preferred to stay in their home villages. The US was simply a place to earn for a few months not where they wanted to move to. We changed that when we militarized the border in the early 70's.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/684200

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I am probably closest to anyone for open borders. If this is a left/right issue (and it ISN'T) I would be considered left of most politicians. And even I don't want fully open borders

Back in the day most Mexican labor came into the country did seasonal work and then returned to Mexico where they preferred to stay in their home villages. The US was simply a place to earn for a few months not where they wanted to move to. We changed that when we militarized the border in the early 70's.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/684200
ssdd

They argue theoretically that border enforcement emerged as a policy response to a moral panic about the perceived threat of Latino immigration to the United States propounded by self-interested bureaucrats, politicians, and pundits who sought to mobilize political and material resources for their own benefit. The end result was a self-perpetuating cycle of rising enforcement and increased apprehensions that resulted in the militarization of the border in a way that was disconnected from the actual size of the undocumented flow.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
pretty much. Malcom Gladwell's Revisionist History Podcast does a great episode on this, General Chapman's Last Stand. It paints a rosier picture of the past as Gladwell tends to do, but it also shows how we unintentionally created a problem where one didn't exist. Worth a listen. Not that it matters, we as a country have conclusively proven that we have no desire to look at evidence and act accordingly. Our feelings and pre-conceived notions are all that matter. "We've been doing it wrong for a while doubling down and doing it even more wrong should fix it" should replace E Pluribus Unum as our national motto

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
nobody is really clamoring for open borders.
Most Libertarians believe in open borders.

Even if they aren't clamoring for open borders, many of my left-leaning friends want these people set free here in the US. As long as it's not in their house or yard, that is. That's the point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.