Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This agency has been in the spotlight a lot lately.

This is their website: https://www.ice.gov/

From their overview page:

ICE’S mission is to protect America from the cross-border crime and illegal immigration that threaten national security and public safety.

This mission is executed through the enforcement of more than 400 federal statutes and focuses on smart immigration enforcement, preventing terrorism and combating the illegal movement of people and goods.

No doubt - I'm sure there is some abuse of power as is the case in any government agency, especially where enforcement tactics are part of the job.

Then there's this:

Calls to abolish the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, also known as ICE, are getting louder. But at the heart of much of the furore is a belief that this is the government agency that is separating families at the US-Mexico border.

This is false.

A different US agency—Customs and Border Protection, which oversees the Border Patrol—is responsible for policing the country’s borders. And it is agents patrolling the US-Mexico border who have been enforcing the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy, by arresting adults who illegally enter the US, and separating them from their children.
So if it isn’t ICE that is separating families at the border, what do they actually do? And why are there calls to abolish the agency?

Here’s an explainer: [video]https://qz.com/1321177/abolish-ice-what-are-the-facts-behind-the-controversial-agency/[/video]

Yet....people are still doing stuff like this......

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/riseandresistny/status/1014582553209171968/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwte rm%5E1014582553209171968&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fn ews%2Fnation-now%2F2018%2F07%2F04%2Fwoman-climbs-statue-liberty-after-abolish-ice-protest%2F758184002%2F

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-liberty-after-abolish-ice-protest/758184002/

The Associated Press, citing an unnamed federal official, said the woman told police she was protesting the separation of immigrant children from parents who cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally.

Willis said the national monument was closed Wednesday out of "an abundance of caution" after the events. As of 4:30 p.m., tourists were being loaded on boats off the island and no new boats were headed for the island, he said.
"We've had two unusual events occur back-to-back," Willis told WABC News in New York. "So for the safety and security of our visitors, we decided to evacuate for the day . . . It's our busiest week of the year, historically. The island at this time of the day is mostly near capacity, at 4,000 to 4,500 people. All boats have been tasked with moving people off the island. Given the heat of the day, the visitors complied with no issues."

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
ICE is running the detention centers where abuses are happening. That's one of the reasons they're in the crosshairs...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
From the explainer...

Why do people want to abolish the agency?

ICE may not be be to blame for separating families at US borders, but the agency has long been dogged with claims of abuse.

In April, the Intercept obtained 1,224 complaints of sexual and physical abuse in immigration detention centers. Filed between 2010 and September 2017, half of those accused in the complaints worked for ICE.

Other reports detail systematic failures that have resulted in suffering and preventable deaths in detention centers. And more recently, ICE allegedly detained 92 immigrants on a plane for nearly two days in what advocates called “slave ship” conditions.

[FONT=&quot]But calls haven’t been limited to the organized left. Even ICE agents have called for it to be disbanded. In January, more than a dozen ICE agents signed [/FONT]an open letter[FONT=&quot] that claimed the immigration crackdown made it more difficult to conduct effective investigations into significant national security issues.[/FONT]

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Funny how nobody had any issues when Obama did it!! This false sense of outrage is getting a little old, I wonder what the next issue will be?
How about it’s wrong whoever did it? I don’t give a flying crap who started it. It needs to stop.

Your cult leader could stop it & instead he’s made it worse intentionally. Why don’t you address that instead of crying about Obama?

For the sake of argument let’s just say...

Obama did it too!!!!

Ok, and then? Obama isn’t the President anymore. Trump is. You guys cheer every time Trump undoes something of Obama’s but because this is hurting brown people you don’t like you’re using Obama as a crutch to justify it continuing.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/05/united-gates-of-america-the-trump-admini

Asylum seekers are especially in their crosshairs because Trump himself pledged to deport them without due process. Vox's Dara Lind has obtained the final draft of a Department of Justice memo that calls for treating anyone found between ports of entry as an "illegal immigrant" and denying them asylum. The administration had already started charging migrants picked up between ports on criminal grounds instead of civil ones as had hitherto been the case—never mind that many of these hapless and helpless migrants had no intention of living in the United States illegally. Some of them were lost or misdirected by smugglers (who want to create a diversion for Customs and Border Patrol), or rebuffed by border agents when they tried to present themselves at legit entry points as they are supposed to do. That's why, to date, despite facing criminal charges, they had still been allowed to claim asylum. Apparently even that small mercy will now be rescinded.
The administration knows that a blanket policy akin to an outright ban may run afoul of domestic and international law that requires asylum seekers to at least get a hearing and hence may not withstand legal scrutiny. Therefore, the memo includes a Plan B: It will instruct immigration judges to weigh the circumstances of entry as a major factor in their asylum decisions, making the rejection of their petition a fait accompli. In other words, the administration is gaming asylum laws to deny asylum seekers a fair shot—subverting the law in the name of the "rule of law!"
Thanks to "extreme vetting," refugee admissions are on track to fall by 75 percent from 2016 levels, according to federal data. The administration has already slashed the annual refugee quota from 110,000 to 45,000; now it won't fill even half of that.
So it is no surprise that WaPo found the number of new arrivals from these countries is on track to decline by a whopping 81 percent. But what is surprising is that virtually all of the top 10 countries that send immigrants America's way, with the possible exception of El Salvador, are set to experience a decline. And around 15 percent fewer immigrant visas were handed to immigrants from African countries. (Interestingly, however, the flow of immigrants from European countries is showing a slight increase.)
The administration's excuse for slashing family-based immigration is that this category is not "merit based" so it does not draw the "best and the brightest." That's something of a myth because over 50 percent of immigrants admitted under the family-based and the diversity visa categories—which Republicans are champing at the bit to eliminate—have college degrees, compared to 29 percent of natives.
For many years now, restrictionists have weaponized the unauthorized immigrant issue and rallied Americans around the notion that those who want to come to America need to do so legally...

But post-Trump, legally immigrating to the U.S. has become infinitely more difficult. Miller and Sessions are subjecting every immigrant in every category—refugees, asylum seekers, family-based, employment-based and entrepreneurs—to the same treatment.
The whole article is worth reading.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
DHS is running DNA tests on families in custody, according to reports. I don't think they are trying to figure out who to reunite as much as how to keep apart. Not a lawyer but I have to question the legality of this practice.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
yup I hope the Trump supporters read it. They likely won't even though most of them claim some love for the Libertarian ideals that Reason says they support.

the changes trump has made to h1b's would have destroyed my business if enacted in 99. I was bringing people over from Africa to do tech work that simply didn't exist stateside. This is just such stupid policy. Getting rid of the entrepreneur visa? Sure let's send the entire next generation of tech entrepreneurs to Canada. That will work out well for us.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
yup I hope the Trump supporters read it. They likely won't even though most of them claim some love for the Libertarian ideals that Reason says they support.

the changes trump has made to h1b's would have destroyed my business if enacted in 99. I was bringing people over from Africa to do tech work that simply didn't exist stateside. This is just such stupid policy. Getting rid of the entrepreneur visa? Sure let's send the entire next generation of tech entrepreneurs to Canada. That will work out well for us.
The H1B shouldn't exist as constructed. Tying a visa to a specific job/employer gives said employer leverage to dictate pay and control the individual's ability to exercise some of Alito and Gorsuch's idiotic concept of Free Speech in employment negotiations.

What I sense with the GOP is that they'll show more teeth towards the individual laborers imported into this country to do high skill labor and effectively work to suppress the wages but they won't do a damn thing substantial with the legal structure of the visa program to make this more equitable for the domestic and foreign laborers working in this country. That just isn't how this ever seems to work out. LOL

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The H1B shouldn't exist as constructed. Tying a visa to a specific job/employer gives said employer leverage to dictate pay and control the individual's ability to exercise some of Alito and Gorsuch's idiotic concept of Free Speech in employment negotiations.

What I sense with the GOP is that they'll show more teeth towards the individual laborers imported into this country to do high skill labor and effectively work to suppress the wages but they won't do a damn thing substantial with the legal structure of the visa program to make this more equitable for the domestic and foreign laborers working in this country. That just isn't how this ever seems to work out. LOL
it is a bad, heavily abused and much needed policy. A very sad trifecta

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I don't care if your politics are left, right or somewhere in between, what we're doing to these families is just evil. These are children, innocent children that we are treating like animals.
I'm 69 yo and I never in all my years could imagine our government would do this to children.
We're in trouble and no one in power cares.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I don't care if your politics are left, right or somewhere in between, what we're doing to these families is just evil. These are children, innocent children that we are treating like animals.
I'm 69 yo and I never in all my years could imagine our government would do this to children.
We're in trouble and no one in power cares.
I’d say that these people are in power because no one cares. They were elected by people who don’t care specifically because they don’t care. That needs to change.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I’d say that these people are in power because no one cares. They were elected by people who don’t care specifically because they don’t care. That needs to change.
If you back out those that act like they care because they are trying to own some moral high ground you’d be even more surprised.

When a society’s standards gradually decline over several decades to the point that to where anything becomes acceptable then nothing is unacceptable.

Thus, things like this happen and no one truly cares. It becomes another politically charged incident in a long list of other incidents. People will appear to care.....but if you dig deep enough usually you will find that the motivation is being triggered by an opportunity to take advantage of the moment.

These are children being used as pawns by an entire slew of adults from their parents to the President and several thousand others in between. Reunite the parents with the kids, put them on buses, give them safe passage to Canada, or back home, whichever they prefer. Give them all $500 gift cards to Tim Hortons and let them continue on with their lives.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.