Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Thanks, Jon. The fine print at the bottom of your image says 2008.......not 2014. I don't know what's changed in the past 10 years so may be a moot point.

I admit, I'm not educated on the process, so just looking to get some facts on the whole situation.

So, looks like we have a process in place --- but there's a limitation of how many people we let in and who we let in, based on a set of criteria?

Is that correct?
I found it on a 2014 blog post on Reason.com https://reason.com/blog/2014/11/20/legal-immigration-explained

looks like they took it from Reason Magazine from 2008

on your bolds, if that is how you want to read it, sure

to me we don't really have legal immigration in this country anymore for anyone not already tied to here. My grandparents came from Italy, Germany, Ireland, England with no family already in the US. That simply cannot happen today

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I found it on a 2014 blog post on Reason.com https://reason.com/blog/2014/11/20/legal-immigration-explained

looks like they took it from Reason Magazine from 2008

on your bolds, if that is how you want to read it, sure

to me we don't really have legal immigration in this country anymore for anyone not already tied to here. My grandparents came from Italy, Germany, Ireland, England with no family already in the US. That simply cannot happen today
Thanks, Jon

Immigration policy in our country is something that's used for political purposes. Fair game.

ALL policy in our country should be understood by the citizens, IMHO. That's all I'm trying to do.

We are a different country than when our ancestors came here.

I've often said that we are going backwards.

That doesn't mean everything we have in place is wrong.

In certain regards, it's how our culture has changed - and not for the good.

I welcome opposing views.....as I said in the 'Civility' thread....civil discourse is part of our fabric and shouldn't be discouraged.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Thanks....that was helpful.

If you are in a hurry, you aren't going to go the legal route, looks like.

Or - if you can't afford the costs - or can't get a sponsor - or don't have qualifying skills - or education. Those are reasons not to go the legal route.
The process diagram posted earlier is a little misleading in that the final box that states "total time to immigrate and become a citizen" could say "total time to become a citizen" because the person has already immigrated earlier in the process.

Most immigrants receive visas in the family or employment based categories.

A handful (50,000) are awarded annually using the diversity visa lottery and there is no linkage to the US required for these. There were over 14.000,000 entrants in 2018.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The process diagram posted earlier is a little misleading in that the final box that states "total time to immigrate and become a citizen" could say "total time to become a citizen" because the person has already immigrated earlier in the process.

Most immigrants receive visas in the family or employment based categories.

A handful (50,000) are awarded annually using the diversity visa lottery and there is no linkage to the US required for these. There were over 14.000,000 entrants in 2018.
Thanks!

Flow charts are great - they really make it easy to see how certain processes work.

That one seemed to have an agenda though...lol.....

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
How many people are crossing the border illegally?

There’s no official measure of how many people succeed in illegally crossing the border, but authorities use the number of apprehensions to gauge changes in illegal immigration. Apprehensions on the Southwest border peaked in 2000 at 1.64 million and have generally declined since, totaling 303,916 in 2017.

Those numbers, which come from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, are for fiscal years and date back to 1960.
Just for comparison purposes:

Source:
https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/illegal-immigration-statistics/

Top 26 largest armies in the world from 2017-

Rank Country Active Military
1 China 2,183,000
2 India 1,395,100
3 United States 1,347,300
4 North Korea 1,190,000
5 Russia 831,000

6 Pakistan 653,800
7 South Korea 630,000
8 Iran 523,000
9 Vietnam 482,000
10 Egypt 438,500

11 Myanmar 406,000
12 Indonesia 395,500
13 Thailand 360,850
14 Turkey 355,200
15 Brazil 334,500

16 Colombia 293,200
17 Mexico 277,150
18 Japan 247,150
19 Sudan 244,300
20 Sri Lanka 243,000

21 Saudi Arabia 227,000
22 Taiwan 215,000
23 Ukraine 204,000
24 France 202,950
25 Eritrea 201,750
26 Morocco 195,800

Source:
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/29-largest-armies-in-the-world.html

no bueno

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Migrant Surge In El Paso Strains Border Patrol

March 25, 20196:05 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered

El Paso is the new illegal crossing hot spot on the southern border. Officials say they have run out of room to process migrants, and they're encountering more and more infectious diseases.
AILSA CHANG, HOST:

Federal officials say the southern border is out of control. The Border Patrol is on track to stop nearly 100,000 migrants crossing illegally this month. The newest hot spot - El Paso, Texas. One day last week, agents there apprehended 400 people in five minutes. And many migrants are coming with infectious diseases. That's put a strain on the Border Patrol, which is bringing in more agents and asking the Pentagon for more help. NPR's John Burnett has our report.
Go to linked story for rest.....worth the read.

Or listen to the audio here: LINK

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Wait...what? NPR is reporting hundreds of thousands of illegals are crossing our border and many have infectious diseases? This just can't be. Fake news!
I know - blue font.

But I will say I really like the style of reporting where I'm not being shouted at - overwhelmed by special effects (flashing lights and movie sound effects) - or lectured.

NPR just gives you the information. No bells and whistles. And certainly no spin.

Almost as soothing as watering my plants at the end of a long day.

Almost, I said.... :)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Wait...what? NPR is reporting hundreds of thousands of illegals are crossing our border and many have infectious diseases? This just can't be. Fake news!
Quoted:

BURNETT: A Border Patrol official tells NPR that more migrants are arriving with communicable illnesses, such as flu, mumps, impetigo - a rash that occurs among children - and even one case of flesh-eating bacteria. Agents are making 50 hospital runs a day with sick immigrants. In December, two Guatemalan children died in Border Patrol custody in the El Paso sector. Since then, there's been criticism that agents are unprepared for the surge of vulnerable immigrants carrying illnesses and that holding facilities lack even basic medical care. Again, agent Ramiro Cordero.

Flu - meh. It's flu season. People here won't even get their flu shot. No need to worry about immigrants with it. It's already here.

Mumps - get your kid immunized.

Impetigo - easily treated with antibiotics and unless you are coming in close contact nothing to worry about. At least one kid at your kid's school has likely had it relatively recently.

We should be concerned that holding facilities do not have proper medical care, not over these things.

ETA: Flesh eating bacteria...well

Necrotizing Fasciitis Is Rarely Contagious

[FONT=&quot]Most cases of necrotizing fasciitis occur randomly. It is very rare for someone with necrotizing fasciitis to spread the infection to other people. For this reason, doctors usually do not give preventive antibiotics to close contacts of someone with necrotizing fasciitis.[/FONT]

https://www.cdc.gov/groupastrep/diseases-public/necrotizing-fasciitis.html

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Quoted:

BURNETT: A Border Patrol official tells NPR that more migrants are arriving with communicable illnesses, such as flu, mumps, impetigo - a rash that occurs among children - and even one case of flesh-eating bacteria. Agents are making 50 hospital runs a day with sick immigrants. In December, two Guatemalan children died in Border Patrol custody in the El Paso sector. Since then, there's been criticism that agents are unprepared for the surge of vulnerable immigrants carrying illnesses and that holding facilities lack even basic medical care. Again, agent Ramiro Cordero.

Flu - meh. It's flu season. People here won't even get their flu shot. No need to worry about immigrants with it. It's already here.

Mumps - get your kid immunized.

Impetigo - easily treated with antibiotics and unless you are coming in close contact nothing to worry about. At least one kid at your kid's school has likely had it relatively recently.

We should be concerned that holding facilities do not have proper medical care, not over these things.

ETA: Flesh eating bacteria...well

https://www.cdc.gov/groupastrep/diseases-public/necrotizing-fasciitis.html
Well, if we build barriers to deter them from coming, we wouldn't have to house and treat them right?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
-snip- We should be concerned that holding facilities do not have proper medical care, not over these things. -snip-
I wonder what our facilities look like right now and what medical resources are available? I don't know - just curious.

That said - I don't know why we don't build some HUGE medical facility - larger than anything in the entire state. I'm sure we could secure funds from the many private entities who advocate for our immigration community. Heck - have every congress person donate 5% of the annual salary for two years straight. Also the Republican and Democratic Party could each chip in a million or two....maybe more.

We could also recruit employees from across the border - maybe those also who are part of those in the process of seeking asylum.

How about a facility something along the lines of Walter Reed?

I would think an idea like this would be extremely attractive for any presidential candidate - especially a Democrat.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well, if we build barriers to deter them from coming, we wouldn't have to house and treat them right?
Nothing has deterred then yet including hundreds of miles of barriers and forcefully removing children so what is a little more barrier going to do?

here in the real world we just need to face the issue in a humane and efficient manner while putting our so called values into practice.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Nothing has deterred then yet including hundreds of miles of barriers and forcefully removing children so what is a little more barrier going to do?

here in the real world we just need to face the issue in a humane and efficient manner while putting our so called values into practice.
unfortunately, the gop is putting their actual values into practice.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

ICE Raids Texas Technology Company, Arrests 280 Over Immigration Violations

Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 280 employees at a technology repair company in Collin County, Texas, on charges of working in the United States illegally. It's the largest work site raid in the country in more than a decade, according to a Homeland Security Investigations official.
Prior to Wednesday's raid in Allen, 159 undocumented workers were arrested in the small northeast Texas town of Sumner at a trailer manufacturer.

The largest workplace raid to ever take place in the U.S. was in Postville, Iowa, in May of 2008, where almost 400 undocumented workers were arrested.
Third-largest employer in Allen

According to the Allen Economic Development Corp. website, CVE has 2,100 employees, making it the third-largest employer in the city.
CVE already had an office in Plano when it moved its headquarters from New Jersey to Allen in 2014. The company was founded by Howard Cho in 1986 and is now headed by his son Edward Cho.
In 2014, Samsung accounted for 75 percent of the company's business, but CVE planned to reduce that significantly as it expanded, according to North Jersey Media Group.

The company was honored in 2017 by the U.S. Department of Commerce's Minority Business Development Agency with a national award.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I wonder why they never arrest the company officials who hire the illegals? You know, like Devin Nunes and his Iowa ranch.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I wonder why they never arrest the company officials who hire the illegals? You know, like Devin Nunes and his Iowa ranch.
My ex is employed by a multi-national manufacturer based in Europe who operates in the US and Mexico. I was surprised to learn that they employ large numbers of contract labor
personnel in their manufacturing plants. Essentially they are skirting their responsibility for certifying citizenship of employees by pushing that responsibility to the contract labor business. I leave it to our imagination to assess how the contract labor business determines employment eligibility of hundreds of Hispanic employees.

There is a lot to be said from a business standpoint but one conclusion I would make is that business in general has major issues with the supply of labor in the US which is greatly exasperated by Trumps war on immigration.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.