News Article: Top recruit Najee Harris eagerly awaits bigger role at Alabama

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Saban reminded Harris he needs to polish his pass-blocking skills, he said, though Saban also acknowledged Harris’ frustration and told him, “You’re going to play a lot this year.” (Saban was unavailable for comment, according to an Alabama spokesman.)
This seems to be an age old refrain with these talented athletes. You have to be a complete player to consistently see the field at Alabama. Running the ball is just a portion of your duties. Protection schemes and blocking make up a lot. If he can do those things this year then they can't keep him off the field. He can workout and lift as many weights as he'd like, but the real test is getting in the playbook and learning those schemes - showing you can pickup blitzes. Everybody knows he can run the ball - that's why they recruited him. If being consistent in pass-pro kept Derrick Henry, the Heisman winning RB with a bevy of other records to his name, off the field, it'll keep Najee off the field as well.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

Top recruit Najee Harris eagerly awaits bigger role at Alabama

Interesting read on Najee. He's a complete freak of a RB.

Also sounds like he had similar frustrations as Tua about lack of playing time while feeling like he was outplaying others (I'm assuming he means Bo at the very least).
That sounds promising! Tua is getting all the Heisman hype, but I could easily see Najee being the best chance we have at a Heisman over the next 2-3 years. This year will probably be a wash since he'll be splitting time with Damien, but I wouldn't sleep on him winning it in 2019.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With this new transfer rule CNS will have his hands full keeping everyone happy.
Saban is going to keep doing what he has always done. I don't see this rule effecting Alabama at all. You were losing grad transfers before, but only role players who wanted to become starters. That will continue to happen, but not with any greater frequency.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Saban is going to keep doing what he has always done. I don't see this rule effecting Alabama at all. You were losing grad transfers before, but only role players who wanted to become starters. That will continue to happen, but not with any greater frequency.
And as much as we could be hurt by it we can also benefit from it. Players can leave but we can recruit other disgruntled talented players as well. I don't know whether there will be an uptick or not but I think it'll balance out either way.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The kids have to realize sitting and not playing at much in year one at Bama is a LOT better than say running for 500-750 for a smaller school and getting hurt because of the carries. Glad Harris stuck it out!

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
I think it will be a real good year for this young man. The talent is there, but most of all I believe because of Tua being a quarterback that is able to see the field and legitimately force the opposing coordinators to stop stacking line of scrimmage, all the running backs should have some lanes to slither or explode through. He looked good in the NC game for sure, but the defense was already being forced to play honest when he was inserted into game. He probably would have had same problem as other backs if he had been on field during the first half....
It was stated he had been breaking off longer runs than other backs in practice this past
year. I wonder who the quarterback was in practice that was handing ball off to him. Tua may have already been creating some space for a running back to do his thing...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I think it will be a real good year for this young man. The talent is there, but most of all I believe because of Tua being a quarterback that is able to see the field and legitimately force the opposing coordinators to stop stacking line of scrimmage, all the running backs should have some lanes to slither or explode through. He looked good in the NC game for sure, but the defense was already being forced to play honest when he was inserted into game. He probably would have had same problem as other backs if he had been on field during the first half....
It was stated he had been breaking off longer runs than other backs in practice this past
year. I wonder who the quarterback was in practice that was handing ball off to him. Tua may have already been creating some space for a running back to do his thing...
On top of that, Najee's a beast receiving out of the backfield. I believe the threat of him breaking big runs will also cause linebackers to play too close to the line and open up lanes for him to blow past the defense while running routes. Add on the threat of Tua's deep balls keeping DB's from cheating up, and it opens a lot of big play opportunities for him

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think this just really speaks to how talented this recruiting class was. If each player lives up to the hype then we are going to have an insane amount of 1st and 2nd round draft picks from them alone.

I mean, allegedly the coaches think all 3 WRs are 1st rounders, if Tua goes the way most of us think thats another, Najee has a shot, Leatherwood if he develops, Moses if he continues to develop, etc. It's going to be fun.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
It’s really refreshing to read an objective article from a good writer who is from a different region of the US. I feel that I know a lot more about Najee and I like what I learned.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This scenario happens every year with our high profile freshmen and many more times than not they stick it out. Glad Najee and Tua did also.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.