Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    What’s ironic is that about 70% of this board complains about fcs, non p5, and neutral site games but they are the first to complain about people complaining about our schedule
    I don't complain about those games. I think they are a valuable part of our schedule for getting some playing time for our younger guys, resting up for the brutal SEC path, etc.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I don't complain about those games. I think they are a valuable part of our schedule for getting some playing time for our younger guys, resting up for the brutal SEC path, etc.
    Iím not singling out you or anyone in particular, but there is always multiple threads wanting us to drop fcs and non p5 games in order to replicate the 1978 schedule. Itís just not reasonable to expect a championship in those types of schedules in the modern day. I just kinda find it funny there are threads like this in which we call those other teams complaining about our schedule jealous and whiners but we in turn complain about our schedules as well.

Personally I love the 1 P5, 2 FBS, and 1 FCS setup we have now.

Well our OOC schedule is weak this year. Louisville is without Lamar Jackson and with the likes of Arkansas St, Lousiana-Laffayette, and The Citadel, it doesn't look very challenging. The Citadel game on Nov. 17th really looks bad when other Power 5 Conferences (Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12) are scheduling nothing but conference games in November. It is just not Alabama either.....Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, SC, Auburn, LSU, & A&M all play weak OOC schools that week.

The SEC can help this by either going to a 9 game conference schedule (which Saban wants) or just scheduling nothing but conference games in November. Make all SEC teams play their 4 OOC games and take their bye week in Sept. and Oct. and leave Nov. for nothing but conference games.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post
    Well our OOC schedule is weak this year. Louisville is without Lamar Jackson and with the likes of Arkansas St, Lousiana-Laffayette, and The Citadel, it doesn't look very challenging. The Citadel game on Nov. 17th really looks bad when other Power 5 Conferences (Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12) are scheduling nothing but conference games in November. It is just not Alabama either.....Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, SC, Auburn, LSU, & A&M all play weak OOC schools that week.

The SEC can help this by either going to a 9 game conference schedule (which Saban wants) or just scheduling nothing but conference games in November. Make all SEC teams play their 4 OOC games and take their bye week in Sept. and Oct. and leave Nov. for nothing but conference games.
    Who cares what they say. Until the CFP Committee shows they care it doesn't matter. Besides the fans and some media would just look for something else. We have to remember that truth and logic have nothing to do with media and fans complaining - nothing. The CFPC, about whom many like to complain, are by far the most objective, and they understand that the SEC plays their tougher OOC games early, then play the softest at the end. This is because they are playing their primary rivals last.

No need to go to a 9 game conf schedule. In fact, at least one other conf is going back to 8. Other confs want the SEC to go to 9 for a three-fold benefit. One is that the SEC would further cannibalize itself, another is that it reduces the opportunities/demands that they may have to play an SEC program, it also reduces the amount of money entering the SEC coffers because of getting an extra half home game per year. Most other conferences can't do that. The PAC 12 has acknowledged that they have to schedule like they do so their stadiums won't be as empty. Outside of some bluebloods, the other conferences are the same as the PAC 12 to a lesser extent.

Back to the original point - other fans and media care nothing about truth and logic, otherwise they wouldn't be making their charges and would appreciate that the SEC conf schedule is far stronger than any other than the current Big 10 East. It's a waste of time to try and appease them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Simple, don't listen to talk radio football sports shows or watch ESPN, Fox or the other crappy sports networks. This type thread reminds me of the white helmet thread that is bound to appear in the next 60 days, it never goes away.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

You guys are always going to be in the spotlight (and for some in their cross hairs).......comes with the territory of being #1.

Strength of schedule is only one factor in determining a program's success during a given season.

All of that stuff sorts itself out as we get close to post season.

Until then.....enjoy your success at the top!

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Not worried about SOS or OOC scheduleS anymore. I think Bama has had a more challenging schedule OOC over the years than anyone.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post

I would rather keep it like it is. I say let these talking heads complain about our schedule this year. They are simply incorrect about this being the Saban way. Most of his years at the Capstone we have had brutal schedules. We play in the toughest conference, so we do need a few breaks in the schedule here and there. In November we already play LSU, MSU, and AU. I say no thank you to adding another conference game in there. Other conferences can easily schedule a few tougher out of conference opponents because most of their conference opponents are either weak or very weak. We play Louisville, Texas A&M, LSU, MSU, and AU this year, and I think all of those teams will spend time in the Top 25 rankings. As others have mentioned, those talking heads who like to complain about Bama's schedule are just trying to get attention because no one wants to hear them say that they think Bama is great and will win another championship.
    Last edited by teamplayer; July 5th, 2018 at 05:31 PM.

Everybody has that weak opponent on their schedule. They just want the king to play a harder schedule to make the odds better of the king being knocked off.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

BamaNation First Team BamaFanInTally's Avatar

Perhaps we would turn into media darlings if we scheduled all weak-patsy teams in conference and back our way into a bowl game with a P5 opponent that was favored, only to pull an upset. Oh wait, we would be UCF then.

Louisville is a quality opening opponent. No one knows how good Auburn, LSU, or Texas A&M will be and Pruitt may get UT back on track. Arkansas could present challenges and surprise some worth Morris as HC. Just need to let things play out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

1) Per Team Rankings dot com, we played the toughest schedule in the country in 2009, 2012, and 2015 - and won national titles each year. We were also #2 in 2014 and #1 in 2016 as well.

2) Since 2009, we have never ranked LOWER THAN SEVENTH in SoS. Even in 2008, we ranked #12.

3) No team has played or WON more big games in the entire history of college football as Alabama has the last decade.

4) No team loses as many juniors to the NFL year after year after year as Alabama, either.

5) It seems a bit hypocritical to me for any sports pundit who talks about UCF as national champions (looking at Danny Kanell and the usual suspects here) to turn right around and complain about SoS. You can't complain about Alabama's SoS and then turn around and proclaim the greatness of a team who played a lesser schedule.

6) Let me deal with this canard for the last time......it's a lawyer worded statement that goes like this:

"Alabama/Nick Saban/The SEC doesn't play out of conference games on the road outside of the Southeast."

The unstated assumption is that they should. But it's not true on ANY level. For starters, we played Penn State in Happy Valley in 2011 with a sophomore starting his first-ever road game and rolled a ranked team. LSU played Washington on the road, Tennessee played Oregon on the road. This statement is false and absurd at every level.

But it's again a misleading statement because:

a) there are no open dates to go play these Midwestern teams in these alleged blizzards in November....either for Alabama or for anyone else. I believe some of the conferences have rules both about open dates and about OOC scheduling. Not sure on that, but I'm positive I read that somewhere.

b) even these supposed cold weather teams always play their conference title games....wait for it......on a rug indoors.......

c) it's very unfair to hack on Florida - they DO play FSU every single year, which is a tough game. South Carolina plays Clemson every single year. Just because they don't leave the state to do it doesn't make it any less of a challenge.

7) Someone needs to ask the Tim Brandos of the world if they're in favor of education for non-athletes and then point out to him that Mercer University stays open because of that game with Auburn and the one with Alabama.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Hey. It's me and my name is Fact. We opened with Michigan and stomped them. They said Michigan was down. We opened with USC and stomped them. They said we hadn't played anyone cause USC was down. We played FSU and they well, "FSU is down, no wonder you beat them." While I can find fault with Mercer and the like I can't find fault with our P5 games. Roll Tide.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Hey. It's me and my name is Fact. We opened with Michigan and stomped them. They said Michigan was down. We opened with USC and stomped them. They said we hadn't played anyone cause USC was down. We played FSU and they well, "FSU is down, no wonder you beat them." While I can find fault with Mercer and the like I can't find fault with our P5 games. Roll Tide.
    That's why I said it's a lawyer's statement.

Because the comeback is..

"Yeah, you played them at a NEUTRAL SITE in the SOUTH because you're AFRAID to play road games up north in November. You would only play Wisconsin in Dallas, you wouldn't play them at Camp Randall. blah blah blah."

I don't disagree with you at all, but this is the level of jack ashery we have to deal with.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."