Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanInTally View Post
    Perhaps we would turn into media darlings if we scheduled all weak-patsy teams in conference and back our way into a bowl game with a P5 opponent that was favored, only to pull an upset. Oh wait, we would be UCF then.

Louisville is a quality opening opponent. No one knows how good Auburn, LSU, or Texas A&M will be and Pruitt may get UT back on track. Arkansas could present challenges and surprise some worth Morris as HC. Just need to let things play out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The amusing part is that the very same media that bloviates about Boise State, Utah, and UCF not "getting a chance" DESPITE their bakery manufactured schedules turn right around and complain about the schedule when it's Alabama.

It's no accident that the moment TCU and Utah joined major conferences with more challenging slates, they stopped going undefeated.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Win them all and it will not matter. But this is the weakest that your schedule has been in a long, long time. Not your fault, but it is true.
    Agree. Very little, if any, room for error this year IMO. Know it depends on what other teams do as well, but the chances of a low SOS this year are pretty good.

BamaNation All-SEC

Yep. Very tired of it. Part of the thing with social media and having so many sports talk shows, it gives people something to fuss about.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Arkansas' schedule is much worse.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Arkansas' schedule is much worse.
    Not really - they have to play Alabama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Not really - they have to play Alabama.
    I meant their out of conference schedule. They did not even follow the SEC rule of playing at least one power 5.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Everyone wants to see the giant slain. For years it's been "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and now that we've been consistently at the top and the much of the SEC has stumbled they're making excuses for Bama not sliding down the hill with them. It'll never change while CNS resides in T-Town. Might as well just smile and wave.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Second Team

(ie: Joel Klatt, Danny Kannell, etc.)
    Need I say more?

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Well, ours is always going to be "easier" because we don't have to play us, right?

As someone said, the first mistake is listening to too much talk radio. Turn on some good music or something else.

And, as someone else said, just win 'em all. And this year, I think we've got a great chance to run the table. I kinda think CNS, if he was being frank, would tell us he'd like another perfect season so we don't have to depend on others losing to help us when we drop a game.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Everyone wants to see the giant slain. For years it's been "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and now that we've been consistently at the top and the much of the SEC has stumbled they're making excuses for Bama not sliding down the hill with them. It'll never change while CNS resides in T-Town. Might as well just smile and wave.
    IMO, it's more about Alabama than CNS. He never got the kind of grief at LSU that he gets at Bama - not even close. IMO, if he were at USC or ND or other bluebloods, while people would have tired of them, the nature and intensity of the grief would be completely different. While many Bama fans imagine things that are not there - all fanbases think that they don't get the credit they deserve or get criticism they don't. I hate to say this, but I do as one who can be objective when I want to, there is a definite media and masses bias vs Alabama. Some of it is because of the current run of unprecedented success, a lot of it is because it's a University that is located in a despised state within a despised region and has historically been that despised region's bellcow for almost 100 years now. Part of it is because Bama has a segment of its fanbase that is unsavory in an unsophisticated and vocal way and they now have access to the public airwaves, whereas before they could only write unfortunate letters. To be fair to the fanbase, great success can bring out this type of person who wants to identify with something good. Too bad that not many more typical Bama fans don't call in .

Since the mid 80s Bama does not even get favorable press from its local media in the larger markets like Huntsville, Mobile and esp Bham, though the opposition seems to have subsided lately, at least in the Bham area. IMO, part of that is the decline of the Bham News - what's their circulation now 172 :-)?

IMO, credit should be given to the University PTB and the fanbase for being willing to endure the onslaught that is inevitable with the success that anyone and especially Alabama faces with that success. That's one reason some individuals and orgs shy away from success. Though some don't see the link. Alabama has the courage to stand up. It's much easier to slink by.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    If the SEC only won 2 bowl games a year.... I would be very happy as long as those 2 wins are Bama. You’ll never hear me chant ,” SEC SEC SEC”.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    IMO, it's more about Alabama than CNS. He never got the kind of grief at LSU that he gets at Bama - not even close. IMO, if he were at USC or ND or other bluebloods, while people would have tired of them, the nature and intensity of the grief would be completely different. While many Bama fans imagine things that are not there - all fanbases think that they don't get the credit they deserve or get criticism they don't. I hate to say this, but I do as one who can be objective when I want to, there is a definite media and masses bias vs Alabama. Some of it is because of the current run of unprecedented success, a lot of it is because it's a University that is located in a despised state within a despised region and has historically been that despised region's bellcow for almost 100 years now. Part of it is because Bama has a segment of its fanbase that is unsavory in an unsophisticated and vocal way and they now have access to the public airwaves, whereas before they could only write unfortunate letters. To be fair to the fanbase, great success can bring out this type of person who wants to identify with something good. Too bad that not many more typical Bama fans don't call in .

Since the mid 80s Bama does not even get favorable press from its local media in the larger markets like Huntsville, Mobile and esp Bham, though the opposition seems to have subsided lately, at least in the Bham area. IMO, part of that is the decline of the Bham News - what's their circulation now 172 :-)?

IMO, credit should be given to the University PTB and the fanbase for being willing to endure the onslaught that is inevitable with the success that anyone and especially Alabama faces with that success. That's one reason some individuals and orgs shy away from success. Though some don't see the link. Alabama has the courage to stand up. It's much easier to slink by.
    It IS about Alabama. Not only the University but about the state and the stigma of the "South" in general to some degree. And you're exactly right about the PTB. Especially Coach Mal pulling off the "CNS Miracle" we're so blessed with. No CNS didn't catch that kind of grief at LSWho but only because he left for Miami before he finished what he started. He could have built a juggernaut there like he built here, IMO. He was well on his way but Les wrecked the bus after he took the keys.

For now I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and "Smile & Wave" at the talking heads waiting for them to boil over and/or explode.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

As has been noted, this year's schedule is pretty weak. The OOC openers are generally good, but someone undercut by being neutral site. I've got no problem whatsoever with us playing an uber-cupcake before the Iron Bowl, but we should upgrade mid season OOCs. I'm sure the reason we don't is that it allows us to have more home games, but damnit, we need some good home and home series.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.