Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    And yet the CFP had the chance to bypass Bama last year and didn't.

I hate admitting I'm wrong as much as anyone but so far, the CFP has done an outstanding job of picking the top four, regardless as to what the pundits, writers, and even fans want to see happen...
    Yes, they have done a great job. There is not one of the 16 selections for which a compelling case cannot be made. There can be a case for a few others as well, such as TCU in 14 and PSU in 16, but IMO, even those would have been inferior choices despite OSU being embarrassed in 16. (IMO, Bama/OSU was not that controversial last year.) Even defending champ and the only undefeated FSU was appropriately seeded 3 because of their poor showings in many games vs a weak schedule.

All of this in the face of unwarranted cynicism about hidden agendas and bias. Though we know there is human bias in almost any choice that a person cares about, they have done a great job of overcoming it. These seem to be honorable people who are trying to do the very best they can. It is encouraging going forward, especially for Alabama. It ensures that they will be treated equitably even in the face of the howling of most fans and some in the media. They appear reasonably immune to the outside, perceptive and logical. IMO, the coaches on the Committee are the backbone. And all knew what they were getting into and that it would also be a thankless job. I wish there was some way the football public would and could express their appreciation. However, like us all, they are not infallible. I hope we at least won't question their motives when they make their first real mistake, though it will be tough for the short-changed program.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Our schedules are normally good. This projects to be among the weaker ones we've had recently but those things don't necessarily turn out like you expect. For some people, unless we're playing a top 5 team every week then our schedule is soft. Those people are just hater white noise.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

I don't think anyone who knows what they're talking about thinks Alabama typically has a weak schedule. We almost always schedule a very legit P5 opponent for a neutral site, and two respectable group of 5 teams to go along with an SEC West slate that has typically been excellent.

Is it true that we usually play a cupcake the week before Auburn? Sure, but almost every P5 school has at least one cupcake.

The only criticism that holds any weight as that Coach Saban doesn't like to schedule home and homes, so we rarely play road games OOC. But it's not like we aren't playing legit opponents. We've played Florida State, Wisconsin, USC, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia in the last five years.

Honestly the biggest reason our schedule has gotten "weaker" is that we've been beating the pants of the SEC West to the degree that they're firing their coaches and bringing in guys who are even worse.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I don't think anyone who knows what they're talking about thinks Alabama typically has a weak schedule. We almost always schedule a very legit P5 opponent for a neutral site, and two respectable group of 5 teams to go along with an SEC West slate that has typically been excellent.

Is it true that we usually play a cupcake the week before Auburn? Sure, but almost every P5 school has at least one cupcake.

The only criticism that holds any weight as that Coach Saban doesn't like to schedule home and homes, so we rarely play road games OOC. But it's not like we aren't playing legit opponents. We've played Florida State, Wisconsin, USC, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia in the last five years.

Honestly the biggest reason our schedule has gotten "weaker" is that we've been beating the pants of the SEC West to the degree that they're firing their coaches and bringing in guys who are even worse.
    Well....2 years ago when Louisville was someone's opener...everybody thought that was unfortunate for having to face them. I can't believe that in this day and time that people are so ignorant about future scheduling. Last year...before the season..many people thought FSU would beat us, and many predicted FSU would make the final 4. So I pay little attention to people like Kannell or Brando.

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenntiderman View Post
    Well....2 years ago when Louisville was someone's opener...everybody thought that was unfortunate for having to face them. I can't believe that in this day and time that people are so ignorant about future scheduling. Last year...before the season..many people thought FSU would beat us, and many predicted FSU would make the final 4. So I pay little attention to people like Kannell or Brando.
    I referenced "people who know what they're talking about" so we can ignore Kannell.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I get tired of it too and don't think it has been justified very often previously. That said, our OOC schedule this year and next is pretty lame. We should blow out both Louisville and Duke.
    Next year's OOC is a joke.