Getting Tired Of Hearing The Knocks On Our "Weak" Schedule

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Apparently Tim Brando made some comments that there is favoritism towards Alabama with the committee, and that our schedule is 'pathetic' (if I heard correctly). From what I understand he was bashing schools in the SEC for playing FCS schools, of course turning a blind eye to the ACC and other schools who play lower division teams. If it is a big deal go ahead and pass a rule that we can't play them. Better yet, create yet another 'Saban rule', and pass a rule that P5 conference schools can only play other P5 conference schools.

Go ahead. I dare you.

rtr
And upset that Troy actually beat LSU....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
IMO, it's more about Alabama than CNS. He never got the kind of grief at LSU that he gets at Bama - not even close. IMO, if he were at USC or ND or other bluebloods, while people would have tired of them, the nature and intensity of the grief would be completely different. While many Bama fans imagine things that are not there - all fanbases think that they don't get the credit they deserve or get criticism they don't.
Social media was just gestating when Saban was at LSU.

And he didn't win five national titles there, either.

He also didn't stay around very long after the first one to get all the grief.

What's behind the whole Alabama thing is the same thing as with Duke in b-ball (or UCLA back in the day) or esp the Yankees in baseball or the NBA Celtics....anyone can pull for a winner (is the basic theory)....

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
LSU homer Brando will get his just reward. He will have to watch another season of an LSU team coached by Coach Orgeron.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Apparently Tim Brando made some comments that there is favoritism towards Alabama with the committee, and that our schedule is 'pathetic' (if I heard correctly).
He said we are "privileged," though keep in mind this is same clown who complained about the lack of diversity on the committee now that Condi Rice is gone. Ok.....might she favor Alabama....?????

And tbf, he DID rip both Alabama AND Georgia's schedules. But so what?

How does Alabama's in recent years REALLY differ any from LSU's this year?
LSU plays Miami at a neutral site, three cupcakes (including 1-11 last year Rice), and the SEC mandated schedule.

HOW is this ANY different from Alabama in 2012-2017?

So we play Louisville instead of Miami. Anyone here actually think Miami would beat us? If not, what difference does it make?

ETA:

Also....UGA played Notre Dame on the road last year, and the return match is next year. UGA got Austin Peay instead (my alma mater).

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
It's easy to dismiss the chronic Alabama haters (e.g., Brando, Kanell, Bayless, etc.) as harmless cranks, but more ominous are the possible NCAA rules changes that could be enacted for the purpose of curtailing Alabama's future success. As an example, I wouldn't be surprised if the NCCA floats a proposal to impose targeted scholarship limitations on programs indexed to the frequency of the team's recent playoff appearances, or championship wins. Naturally, such a proposal would be pitched to the public as “healthy" for college football, a leveling mechanism similar to success-adjusted NFL draft privileges.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

What's behind the whole Alabama thing is the same thing as with Duke in b-ball (or UCLA back in the day) or esp the Yankees in baseball or the NBA Celtics....anyone can pull for a winner (is the basic theory)....
I do understand that part. I tell you what. I lived in Shreveport from 2002-2015. For the first several years, you couldn't find a Saints fan anywhere around. Or they never displayed their fandom. Then Payton/Brees took them to their Super Bowl win, and you couldn't spit without hitting a Saints fan. I get it. People like to pull for winners and don't want to think about it when their team is doing poorly. But I have been a Bama fan through a LOT of dark years. Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike Dubose, Fran, the Price fiasco, Shula. It is hard to be a fan when your team goes 3-9 or something along that line. To be fair, we have some ok years mixed in here and there with most of those guys. No National Championships, but those things are tough to come by for all kinds of reasons. But through all the bad years, with all the grief I took from fans of other teams, I stuck with my boys, even when it was hard to do so. That said, you do see a lot more Bama fans running around now than you did when Shula was running the show. Why? Because some jumped on board when they saw we were winning, and others who hid their fandom decided it was time to "come out of the closet," so to speak. I wore my Bama gear all along, but did learn to be humble and just keep my mouth shut, even when antagonized by opposing fans.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Apparently Tim Brando made some comments that there is favoritism towards Alabama with the committee, and that our schedule is 'pathetic' (if I heard correctly). From what I understand he was bashing schools in the SEC for playing FCS schools, of course turning a blind eye to the ACC and other schools who play lower division teams. If it is a big deal go ahead and pass a rule that we can't play them. Better yet, create yet another 'Saban rule', and pass a rule that P5 conference schools can only play other P5 conference schools.

Go ahead. I dare you.

rtr
Alabama did not deserve a spot in the four team CFP. Why? Because we looked so bad against Auburn. I think what he wanted was Oklahoma, Clemson, Auburn and UCF. Long a "BCS buster" fan, Brando is now a "CFP" buster fan.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Most true contenders won't play us since they run the risk of getting kicked out of the race right after game 1.....

The only thing I could think of -- is to start trying to cut deals with the Minnesota, Colorado, Purdue, BCs of the world. But, even they won't want to schedule a Bama game during weeks 3, 4, 5 --

I'm honestly surprised we get the teams we get already....

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I noted that some of the vitriol was motivated by success, but IMO, Bama's has much more fire and ridicule because of the reasons I mentioned. Even when Bama was down the ridicule was unnatural or at least unusual. And when they went after CNS, the ridicule was off the charts. Not only that but after he was hired any "mistake" he made or misstep he took caused a loud and ridiculous uproar at least twice making a fool of themselves. Part of that was some in the media's disdain for CNS, but it was greatly intensified because it was Alabama. In fact, there were some in the media who acknowledged that they had stepped over the line in the attacks on Saban and Bama. Yes, there are many who hate Duke and others, but the attacks are of a different nature and different intensity. Part of it is that Bama has had more success than Duke, part of it is that it's the SEC where passions run hotter, but a good bit of it is the other reasons I mentioned and more. So, IMO, it's different.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama did not deserve a spot in the four team CFP. Why? Because we looked so bad against Auburn. I think what he wanted was Oklahoma, Clemson, Auburn and UCF. Long a "BCS buster" fan, Brando is now a "CFP" buster fan.
What Brando wanted was LSU in the playoff. Barring that, he would have gladly accepted any playoff pool that did not include Alabama. He doesn't support the "underdog". He is an LSU homer who hates Saban (for obvious reasons).

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Most true contenders won't play us since they run the risk of getting kicked out of the race right after game 1.....

The only thing I could think of -- is to start trying to cut deals with the Minnesota, Colorado, Purdue, BCs of the world. But, even they won't want to schedule a Bama game during weeks 3, 4, 5 --

I'm honestly surprised we get the teams we get already....
One of the problems with a Purdue, Minn, probably anyone from a P5 conf, is that they want a H-H which many SEC schools who can sellout no matter what, certainly Alabama, won't give, because they want the double payday. I.e., no H-H. It's more about money on both sides. Competition sometimes but mainly money. So, the best non-SEC schools can get is a neutral site game. And the sponsors usually want the big draws. So, that leaves Purdue, Minn, etc. out, at least for a Bama. Again, it's usually about money not competition - on both sides.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
One of the problems with a Purdue, Minn, probably anyone from a P5 conf, is that they want a H-H which many SEC schools who can sellout no matter what, certainly Alabama, won't give, because they want the double payday. I.e., no H-H. It's more about money on both sides. Competition sometimes but mainly money. So, the best non-SEC schools can get is a neutral site game. And the sponsors usually want the big draws. So, that leaves Purdue, Minn, etc. out, at least for a Bama. Again, it's usually about money not competition - on both sides.
Bama would sell out a game at Purdue. Maybe CNS just needs to negotiate 1/2 the gate and 1/2 of all Crimson Tide memorabilia sold to the Boilermaker fans ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bama would sell out a game at Purdue. Maybe CNS just needs to negotiate 1/2 the gate and 1/2 of all Crimson Tide memorabilia sold to the Boilermaker fans ;)
If we are going to do a second P5 its going to have to be a BIG 12, southern ACC (south of mason Dixon), or a southern BIG 10 (mostly Iowa or Nebraska) team because it most likely is going to be a swindling deal that almost assuredly requires a H/H in which you really want to limit travel. If we really must add better FBS teams then lets do it with teams like Cincy, Memphis, or Boise in which they wouldn't push the prospect of a H/H because they love cash just as much as wins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I do understand that part. I tell you what. I lived in Shreveport from 2002-2015. For the first several years, you couldn't find a Saints fan anywhere around. Or they never displayed their fandom. Then Payton/Brees took them to their Super Bowl win, and you couldn't spit without hitting a Saints fan. I get it. People like to pull for winners and don't want to think about it when their team is doing poorly. But I have been a Bama fan through a LOT of dark years. Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Mike Dubose, Fran, the Price fiasco, Shula. It is hard to be a fan when your team goes 3-9 or something along that line. To be fair, we have some ok years mixed in here and there with most of those guys. No National Championships, but those things are tough to come by for all kinds of reasons. But through all the bad years, with all the grief I took from fans of other teams, I stuck with my boys, even when it was hard to do so. That said, you do see a lot more Bama fans running around now than you did when Shula was running the show. Why? Because some jumped on board when they saw we were winning, and others who hid their fandom decided it was time to "come out of the closet," so to speak. I wore my Bama gear all along, but did learn to be humble and just keep my mouth shut, even when antagonized by opposing fans.
Yeah, I get it. I have to remember that most fans aren't like me, even though I don't always watch maybe as much as I should.

Remember 2000? Believe me, I'd love to forget. That year I missed the UCLA game because we went to visit my aunt in Missouri (and took a trip to Meramec Caverns), and the South Carolina and UCF games because they weren't televised, and I had church functions. However, I DID listen to the UCF game on the radio (I was in east central MS), and I'll admit it.....I was hoping we'd get beat so DuBose would disappear. I left the truck cheering that Dubious was gonna be history. Yet I was there right through a bunch of it, and I did wind up playing piano at a friend's wedding before the MSU game finished (but we were beaten anyway).

I've lived and died with them since 1978. When my ex and I used to get along, we'd go to Applebee's and plop up there by the TV. We'd get there early in the first quarter or even before it started and stay until halftime - then we'd drive home, and we lived close enough to make it before second half kickoff. Fun times looking back on it.

My first Atlanta Braves game was the year they lost 17 in a row, and Turner took over for one game as manager. I mostly died with them from 1977 until 1991.....and then around 1994, I watched fewer games....because of the stupid wildcard.

There is an assumption that anyone who is an Alabama fan is a front-runner (I'm excluding the alums, of course). But this happens with EVERY team out there except maybe the Cubs. I can get row eight seats for the Rangers against most teams for about $35 now. In 2011, I couldn't get a seat to a single game that year, one of only two I haven't gone to any Ranger games since I moved to Texas.

Oh......that reminds me....in 1994, I deployed to Gitmo for three months. That was the year San Fran interrupted the Dallas dynasty by tearing out to a 21-0 lead about eight minutes into the game against Switzer's coaching. Cowboy fans are amusing, too. I hated them for years because they were the kind that no matter what was going on, they wanted to bring up "been to five Super Bowls" (yeah, but you lost three of them). They suddenly vanished right along with Tom Landry, at least where I was living. Then - like a phoenix rising from Arizona - they suddenly show up again. And every damned one of them when Dallas is winning Super Bowls left and right all said the same thing, "I loved them when they were 1-15, stuck with them the whole way!"

So about the time San Fran went up 21-0, we had about 3 Cowboys fans get up and leave the huge group of soldiers that were watching the game. I couldn't let this pass - "Hey, what ever happened to all those games you watched when you 'loved them when they were 1-15'?"

Thing with us, though.....it ain't gonna be all that much easier to get season tickets after CNS is gone.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Win them all and it will not matter. But this is the weakest that your schedule has been in a long, long time. Not your fault, but it is true.
That is why the sharks are circling. Others sense a way to eliminate us from playoff contention with one loss, in a political way, and they are trying to do it. You can’t blame them for not wanting to play Alabama.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is why the sharks are circling. Others sense a way to eliminate us from playoff contention with one loss, in a political way, and they are trying to do it. You can’t blame them for not wanting to play Alabama.
And yet the CFP had the chance to bypass Bama last year and didn't.

I hate admitting I'm wrong as much as anyone but so far, the CFP has done an outstanding job of picking the top four, regardless as to what the pundits, writers, and even fans want to see happen...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.