Soccer team and coach trapped in Thailand cave

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Friend posted this on FB.

i keep wondering what they were doing that deep in the cave in the first place, regardless of weather season. that is a serious cave with a lot of narrow and challenging stuff. i would think 2.5 miles in that type of stuff would not be "easy" for experienced cavers, even when completely dry.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i keep wondering what they were doing that deep in the cave in the first place, regardless of weather season. that is a serious cave with a lot of narrow and challenging stuff. i would think 2.5 miles in that type of stuff would not be "easy" for experienced cavers, even when completely dry.
I thought that I'd read that they were fleeing rising waters...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It's a good thing that these kids aren't trapped in cages in America so that more people will care about what happens to them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Eighth boy rescued as divers re-enter Thai cave

Officials later confirmed the divers had entered Tham Luang Nang Non cave at about 11am local time (5am BST). “At 11am we sent the second team,” said Narongsak Osatanakorn, the head of the joint command centre coordinating the operation.

He said the conditions that had triggered Sunday’s operation – declining water levels in the cave, the readiness of rescuers and the physical and mental health of the stranded boys – were the same on Monday morning and the rescue had commenced five hours’ earlier than expected.
An official from Thailand’s forestry department said water levels were still declining in the cave thanks to thousands of pumps operating inside and had not been substantially affected by the intermittent rain of the past 48 hours. “The water level is not worrisome,” he said.

The Australian foreign minister, Julie Bishop, said in a TV interview on Monday morning she believed the boys would be brought out in groups of four. This would mean at least two more operations.

The boys who were rescued on Sunday were strong and safe but needed to undergo detailed medical checks, interior minister Anupong Paojinda had said earlier on Monday.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Wow! Looks like this tight portion of the cave is the only place where the trapped boys and coach will not have positive assistance front and back by the divers. The earlier diagram indicates that the boys do not wear tanks; I could not see them dealing with a tank in this narrow passage. This is a spot where the person could easily panic and they are on their own if the regulator pops out and they have to put it back in their mouth.

What have they been doing the whole time in the cave? Couldn't someone get them their books?

The boys will not have to sit an exam scheduled for next week, he added. “They will not have to follow the normal schedules.”

Kittichok Kankeaw, a teammate of Nattawut Takamsai, one of the trapped boys, said he would try to assist his friend to catch up at school. “I can help him with his homework,” he said.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jeez! I wondered why it was going so slow. I hadn't even thought about having to take off equipment. It makes it all the more amazing that the boys were able to make it to an area of relative safety...
Saw this graphic yesterday.

Makes me ask what 92 already did - how could they end up that far back? I understand trying to escape the water, but it's not like they just were running to get away from the water. They were literally crawling.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saw this graphic yesterday.

Makes me ask what 92 already did - how could they end up that far back? I understand trying to escape the water, but it's not like they just were running to get away from the water. They were literally crawling.
Maybe it will come out later, when it quit being a lark and turned into trying to save their lives...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There's a tweet thread from a certified cave diver that is very informative. Can't link because of some language. Just search ""Where is puff" and "twitter." Should be able to find it that way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK, it just came out on NBC. Apparently it was a ritual to race to the end of the cave and write your name on the wall and then back out. They just got caught by the water...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.