Possible sex abuse at Ohio State

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Now it's five wrestlers saying he knew.

I find it interesting how Republicans will so fiercely defend sexual abuse involving two men.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
it's just locker room antics
"Wrestlers who complain about getting diddled at the doctor. Waitresses who complain about a good-natured slap of their toosh. Women who dislike when their nethers are grabbed. This #meetoo generation and is so damn entitled, what with their fancy avacado toast and expectation of decent sexual conduct."

-Republicans, probably

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The thing that really gets me is that while there are cases of people overreacting or outright lying there are MANY more cases that are never reported and victims who never come forward.

The amount of people I know that have been sexually assaulted truly sickens me. And the vast majority of the perpetrators are still out there and there isn't much that can be done. I can also tell you some horror stories of victims attempting to get help (at times from family members) and being shunned, ignored, or berated for lying. Obviously there are men who are victims as well but I am not exaggerating when I say more than half the women I know well have been victims of sexual abuse.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The thing that really gets me is that while there are cases of people overreacting or outright lying there are MANY more cases that are never reported and victims who never come forward.

The amount of people I know that have been sexually assaulted truly sickens me. And the vast majority of the perpetrators are still out there and there isn't much that can be done. I can also tell you some horror stories of victims attempting to get help (at times from family members) and being shunned, ignored, or berated for lying. Obviously there are men who are victims as well but I am not exaggerating when I say more than half the women I know well have been victims of sexual abuse.
Here’s the truth about false accusations of sexual violence

What’s clear is that the spectre of false allegation continues to dog the reporting of sexual violence. There remains a public impression that false allegations are common and that innocent people suffer as the result of being wrongfully accused.

The evidence on false allegations fails to support public anxiety that untrue reporting is common. While the statistics on false allegations vary – and refer most often to rape and sexual assault – they are invariably and consistently low. Research for the Home Office suggests that only 4 per cent of cases of sexual violence reported to the UK police are found or suspected to be false. Studies carried out in Europe and in the US indicate rates of between 2 per cent and 6 per cent.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Jordan has been arrogant and argumentative every time they put him on camera. Interrupting, asking questions and then talking over the answer and generally being a first class horse's rear end.

But I saw an interview filmed a day or two ago...a completely different Jordan. Humble, obviously scared, the arrogance had evaporated. I imagine he's wondering if his base will be as loyal to him as many Penn State fans have been to Joe Paterno.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Eighth-

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...tler-says-jordan-knew-about-sexual-abuse.html

An eighth former OSU wrestler now says that congressman Jim Jordan knew that a team doctor was sexually preying on students during his tenure as assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State University.

In recent weeks, several other former OSU wrestlers — including the Ultimate Fighting Championship star Mark Coleman — have publicly claimed that Jordan was aware of allegations that OSU medical doctor Richard Strauss had fondled the genitalia of wrestling team members. The powerful House Republican responded last week by deriding the men he had once coached as liars, and possible agents of a “deep state” conspiracy against true conservatives throughout the elected government.

Those remarks apparently inspired another former OSU wrestler to tell CNN Tuesday, “Jordan is denying this because obviously it would be political suicide for him. He’s still denying it. Jim Jordan knew. He didn’t do anything about it.”
Shoulda learned from the gymnastics scandal not to call them liars. It only makes the others that know what you did rally around them.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
There is no scenario in the Ohio State abuse scandal where Jim Jordan isn't a terrible leader

It sure sounds an awful lot like Jordan did nothing while a sexual predator preyed on his students — and is now gaslighting alleged victims of sexual abuse to cover his own moral and ethical failures.

Remember, the scandal here is much larger than a handful of former wrestlers who claim Jordan knew about Strauss and did nothing. Ohio State has identified purported victims across 14 different sports. Some estimates for Strauss’ full number of alleged victims range in the thousands.

Here’s the scenario:

Jordan is a former University of Wisconsin wrestling star who went on to coach wrestling at Ohio State. Naturally, his kids looked up to him. He was a hero.

The years went on, students came and went, and Jordan moved into politics. He developed power and influence. He was somebody. It was only a matter of time before one of his former students reached out for help.

One did, and he needed it desperately. The former student says he was sexually assaulted by Strauss. He wasn’t alone. Dozens of other students were coming forward with the same story of alleged abuse — at the hands of the same person. After years of silent suffering, Jordan’s former wrestlers and others wanted justice, and they were counting on Jordan to go to bat for them.

What would a decent person do in this scenario?

A. Publicly express outrage and do everything he could to help his former student and other victims seek justice.

B. Use whatever leverage he has to quietly pressure his former school and law enforcement into taking the matter seriously.

C. Tell the former student “it’s not my problem” and send him on his way.

Jim Jordan was confronted with this very scenario. He chose C.

And that is the most generous way to describe his actions. The reality is worse.

When asked by his former student for help, not only did Jordan say, “No thanks,” but he called the police on said man when his cries for help became politically inconvenient.

Jordan could have been an ally to his former students. Even if he’s ignorant about the alleged abuse, he could have spoken out in support of alleged victims. He could still have tried to help. Instead, he abandoned his moral and ethical responsibility to protect his career.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.