News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

I loved the little background grunts and moans on bad plays, and the excited shouts on great plays. Him screaming "TOUCHDOWN" on the final play against Georgia still send goosebumps.

I will miss him. Jay Barker will do just fine although I think I would narrowly prefer JPW.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

This really bothers me because what Phil did at Bama went far beyond what a radio analyst normally does. I do wish him luck in the AAF and hope that works out for him. Mobile will always be proud to call Phil one of us!

rtr

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Will be interesting to see who they look to bring on board. I think Jay Barker definitely has the radio experience and is a Bama man. IDK.
    He’s certainly available. I like Jay, but never thought of him as all that smart. Acknowledging that he played QB (20-25 years ago), I wonder if he has the necessary football knowledge. Even if he does, can he convey it to the listening audience in a manner they can understand?

That said, I don’t have a better suggestion.....Roger Schultz, maybe? He’d be entertaining.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Don't see Jay Barker getting the nod with his son on the team.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Jay Barker will not be a good color commentator, IMHO. He has neither the personality nor the skill. By all accounts he is a great guy and I appreciate his play on the field back in the day.

I liked Savage, for the most part. Strange departure.

I'm leaning against GMac right now but it wouldn't completely surprise me if he was offered. I don't think he has the magic sauce for radio color guy.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Jay Barker will not be a good color commentator, IMHO. He has neither the personality nor the skill. By all accounts he is a great guy and I appreciate his play on the field back in the day.

I'm leaning against GMac right now but it wouldn't completely surprise me if he was offered. I don't think he has the magic sauce for radio color guy.
    Why would he want to do it, though? Surely, he makes more money as a sideline or color guy in the booth for ESPN.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Why would he want to do it, though? Surely, he makes more money as a sideline or color guy in the booth for ESPN.
    Yeah, not saying he would take it. I don't think he wants it, but I don't doubt he gets a call anyway.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC

I worried about this possibility when he left the Senior Bowl position.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Things that make you go, "Hmmmm…"

. . . .

That's a lot of major life change in a short period of time. Hope everything's OK.
    This ^^^

Phil was a GREAT color announcer, IMO. And I thought he did a great job for the Senior Bowl. I hope all is well in his life, and that he's following a passion, not clinging to a raft in stormy waters...

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

He needs to seriously consider renting when he moves to Phoenix!!
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post

Just FWIW, and not that my opinion means naught - I live in LA so I don't hear Jay that much, but I've never been that taken with Jay's radio "presence". However, I know he's been doing it for some time now.

Seems like I've heard JPW on the radio a few times and thought he did well. Certainly wouldn't mind if he got the job.

IMO GMac would be a GREAT color announcer for us!!, but seriously - I doubt he'd leave a very good gig at ESPiN for the job, and I sorta doubt ESPiN would be very keen on him missing every weekend to work on our game broadcasts.

And I'm not the first to say it, but as an old guy, I'd LOVE to have Joe Namath in the booth!!! I've heard him a few times when they've had him in the booth, and I thought his on-air demeanor was EXCELLENT, as was his ability to communicate the guts and essence of what was happening on the field. HONESTLY, I was SO hoping that Joe could have replaced Kenny - though I did think Phil did a great job.

Joe's not a kid anymore - gotta be in his mid-70s? - and this might be a physical challenge for a man his age. But "IF I WAS KING" - I'd be calling "Joe Willie" and begging him to do it.

BamaNation All-American GP for Bama's Avatar

John Parker Wilson
    Bama 930-319-44 73.6% On the field

2017 NATIONAL CHAMPS!
    26 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

So, who's gonna take over scouting reports for Coach ?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk