News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
What an awesome game. I was down at the beach that weekend. Great memories of knowing we were back. RTR
I was at that game. It certainly was a statement game for the program.
I had my issues with JPW (a classmate showed me a photo of JPW in a New Orleans bar time-stamped 2:00 am on January 1, the day before the Sugar Bowl, when a leader should be in the rack resting before the game). In a situation in which you could say, "Okay, JP, for us to have any chance to win in this situation, the one thing you cannot do is turn the ball over." Then he seemed to have a tendency in those situation of turning the ball over.
That said, he was a tough kid and was at the helm of the Bama program as Coach Saban righted the ship, so he has my gratitude. JPW and RJ both played a big role in resurrecting the program. Glad they are coming home.

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Amen. I miss the Snake and hate we dropped him. I mean he had his demons but he truly loved Bama.

As for JPW and RJ, I'm glad they were hired. I was scared they were going to hire Tyler Watts who I can't stand!

Same here on Watts, just tough to listen to for me. Loved him as a player though.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This is gold, thanks for posting! I forgot how fun of a season 2008 was. I knew it was a great season, but thinking back I tend to only remember the bad taste still left from the SECCG and Utah game. That season had some absolutely awesome games though and this one tops the list Add on the blackout game, the OT win over LSU, blanking Auburn after years of frustration...That was a fun year with many great memories. Seeing as how this year is the 10 year anniversary, I might have to make it a goal to watch a few replays from that season this month to prep for next season. Thanks for the dose of nostalgia!
I think this game could be said to be the start of the runs for both Clemson and Bama. Clemson was supposed to be good in 08, but after we whipped them, they continued to struggle and fired Bowden and gave Dabo a chance. The rest is history for both programs over the last ten years. I agree with others about JPW; he was a solid player, but in the big games he had a tendency to turn the ball over in the biggest moments. In his defense, I think it was just because he seemed to want it badly and just tried to do more than his ability would allow. I haven't listened to a radio broadcast of a game in quite some time, but I hope he does well. Hey, JPW, in the biggest moments of the biggest games, try not to talk too much. :)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
In watching that it was interesting to see that Clemson wasn’t covering the TE back then either...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.