News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I was on another site reading about the new commitments and surprising to me was that in the few comments most support was for Barrett Jones, who I think would be a great choice as I mentioned earlier. But they also mentioned Shawn Alexander, who I had not thought of. He is very articulate and was one of the very few Bama people with a national platform who was enthusiastic in his support of Alabama during the down years. He never wavered. That doesn't mean he would be a good analyst, but it matters. But he is very articulate apart from that. I hope they will consider him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Joe Namath takes it I'll eat an Auburn hat (cake - or part of it at least). He's happy right where he is.

I haven't heard Jones in some time. It's possible he has "grown" and honed his skills, but I wouldn't know it.

Also haven't heard Johnson or Krauss that I've known it.

Tyler Watts might be the safe or logical choice.

Reese Davis would be an interesting choice but I doubt he would take it if offered. He has a sweet gig.

Eli discusses the issue in general:

http://tide1029.com/eli-gold-on-phil-savages-departure-and-alabama-football/
Tyler Watts has been around CTSN for awhile. I bet he gets it unless Byrne or Saban has someone else in mind. I think Saban's guidance was how we ended up with Phil Savage a decade ago.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Man, I'll miss Phil. He added so much insight to what we were watching on the field. There are several good ones out there to take his place but hard to replace him. I like Tyler. He is a class act on and off the radio.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Dang..I hate that & hate to see Phil leave TTown but, as we learned ovevr the course of Coach Saban's tenure at Bama..No matter the situation or who leaves, "The Proces" will keep rolling collecting NC's along the way , cause Coach Saban always has a plan A B & C in place, making sure all bases are covered in any situation big or small..

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Joe Namath takes it I'll eat an Auburn hat (cake - or part of it at least). He's happy right where he is.

I haven't heard Jones in some time. It's possible he has "grown" and honed his skills, but I wouldn't know it.

Also haven't heard Johnson or Krauss that I've known it.

Tyler Watts might be the safe or logical choice.

Reese Davis would be an interesting choice but I doubt he would take it if offered. He has a sweet gig.

Eli discusses the issue in general:

http://tide1029.com/eli-gold-on-phil-savages-departure-and-alabama-football/
Reese Davis? Seriously? Why would he got from hosting College Game Day with ESPN to, by comparison, small town radio?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Reese Davis? Seriously? Why would he got from hosting College Game Day with ESPN to, by comparison, small town radio?

I agree, but he would be an interesting choice and would probably do a fine job. With his gig I doubt anyone embarrasses themselves by asking. Just making conversation.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Roger would be Kenny 2.0, and being honest, would probably be more entertaining even than Mr. Stabler. The question is if that's what CTSN listeners want? I am not really sure it is.

rtr
Gotta agree! Roger is both entertaining and knowledgeable...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I just can't see having a former Auburn player on the Bama radio broadcast. He might be good at what he does, he might be objective, but at the end of the day, he's still a Barner and I think it could show up in the ratings.
Exactly!!!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Things that make you go, "Hmmmm…"

Leaves the Senior Bowl in his hometown after several years in the chair, in a "mutual parting of the ways."

Leaves one of the best color announcing jobs in the country, and in the process leaves Saban, who he's known since he was an analyst for the Browns while Saban was there.

Packs up to move to Phoenix for a minor league job.

That's a lot of major life change in a short period of time. Hope everything's OK.
I really like Phil Savage and enjoyed reading his latest book. I wish him well. I just wonder if maybe he made someone mad somewhere along the line and that's why this is happening? I sure hope not. It will be interesting to see who replaces him.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
A barner as Bama's color commentator?!

Just an observation. But there's at least been a rational discussion here about they hypothetical possibility of hiring a booger-eater to be the voice of Alabama football
I don't see it EVER happening, but if it did, I think most of our fans WOULD at least give the guy a fair shake.

BUT -
Can you even begin to imagine the holy "HECK" that would erupt down there, if they even suggested in passing that they MIGHT consider Tyler Watts or JPW replace Stan White on their radio team????
Oh My Goodness! It would be the meltdown of the CENTURY!!!! LOL!!! :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
[video=youtube;moF7Z2ggAo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=182&v=moF7Z2ggAo4[/video]
How not to do a radio broadcast.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
[video=youtube;moF7Z2ggAo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=182&v=moF7Z2ggAo4[/video]
Stan White
"And I defy you to go back and find an Iron Bowl where Alabama had more penalty yards than Auburn."
In this very game Alabama had more penalty yards than Auburn.LOL!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I could only make it ~4 minutes in! - Honestly, I'd never listen to another Alabama radio broadcast if our announcers were so blatantly unfair and blatantly biased in EVERYTHING they said. According to Stan, the boogs have never lost a game - the ref's have just stolen some of their wins from them. :rolleyes:

Yes, I want our announcers to be Alabama "fans" and pull for out team, but I MOSTLY want them to TELL THE TRUTH about what's really happening in the game. I'd be SO disappointed if they were outright liars and utter "Homers" like Stan and that other guy- whatever his name is.

Yet for the boogs, overt Bias seems to be a requirement for any commentator on any barn sport....

Or how about this WHOPPER!?!?!!? "I defy you to find an iron bowl* where Alabama has more penalty yards than aubarn."
2017 - Penalties UA 9-65 yds - boogs 4-40 yds (boogs won)
2016 - UA 4-28 - barn 4-19
2015 (The game in the video!) UA 7-65 - barn 8-62
2013 - UA 6-45 - barn 3-21 (boogs won)
2010 - UA 7-40 - barn 2-30 (boogs won)
2007 - UA 6-38 - barn 3-35 (boogs won)

In 6 of the last 11 meetings (including all 4 boog wins), Alabama has suffered MORE PENALTY YARDS than the booger-eaters.

* Hasn't BEEN an "Iron Bowl" since 1988. Sorry, Stan......

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I really like Phil Savage and enjoyed reading his latest book. I wish him well. I just wonder if maybe he made someone mad somewhere along the line and that's why this is happening? I sure hope not. It will be interesting to see who replaces him.
Maybe Eli got upset because Phil called the touchdown before he did(blue font).

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Martin Houston has a pretty good sports radio show in Tuscaloosa. He also works as a pastor and a good bit of public speaking on leadership and team building. I think he would be a really good sideline analyst as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.