News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I, too, think Watts would be a good fit and cast a vote for him - we are getting a vote, right? Ha!!!

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
Just FWIW, and not that my opinion means naught - I live in LA so I don't hear Jay that much, but I've never been that taken with Jay's radio "presence". However, I know he's been doing it for some time now.

Seems like I've heard JPW on the radio a few times and thought he did well. Certainly wouldn't mind if he got the job.

IMO GMac would be a GREAT color announcer for us!!, but seriously - I doubt he'd leave a very good gig at ESPiN for the job, and I sorta doubt ESPiN would be very keen on him missing every weekend to work on our game broadcasts.

And I'm not the first to say it, but as an old guy, I'd LOVE to have Joe Namath in the booth!!! I've heard him a few times when they've had him in the booth, and I thought his on-air demeanor was EXCELLENT, as was his ability to communicate the guts and essence of what was happening on the field. HONESTLY, I was SO hoping that Joe could have replaced Kenny - though I did think Phil did a great job.

Joe's not a kid anymore - gotta be in his mid-70s? - and this might be a physical challenge for a man his age. But "IF I WAS KING" - I'd be calling "Joe Willie" and begging him to do it.

I am not downing Namath, but I do not want to hear him along side Eli. He talks too much about the old days. One or two stories are fine and entertaining, but he exceeds this.

I vote JPW!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I just can't see having a former Auburn player on the Bama radio broadcast. He might be good at what he does, he might be objective, but at the end of the day, he's still a Barner and I think it could show up in the ratings.
I think you are 100% right. Still a big fan of him though.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
If Cole said one thing critical about Bama during a game half this board would go into meltdown. I think my vote goes to Mike Johnson.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Barrett Jones became almost unlistenable at times in his Roundtable interviews. He was smart, knowledgeable, humble, witty and articulate, but he would drone on and on. One sentence would sometimes last 2 minutes. Even though he is so likable and you were pulling for him, it became almost unbearable. Last year I heard someone say he had done a good job on minor college football game broadcast. I though they were just being nice. Then last year I was in my car listening to some meaningless game as background noise and began noticing the game analyst and how knowledgeable and tight his comments were. After a while I realized to my shock that it was Barrett. I also heard him on some type of national 3 man show one night and he was very good. I guess either the producers got to him or the format forced him to be concise (I'm one to talk), but whatever the 2 times I heard him apart from the Bham Roundtable he was terrific.

I too would prefer JPW next. I also liked Antonio Langham when he substituted one game a couple of years ago. He's incisive, respectful and funny. I know there are bad memories for some, but I would like him. I too am not ready for Jay, though I like him personally. I know this won't be popular, but I do wish that Bama would get some "black" presence on their major radio broadcasts. I know "best man for the job" and all of that and agree, but it's very subjective. And with the massive contributions of black players and coaches and fans, it's appropriate. Not a token, but there are plenty who could make a legitimate contribution in some visible/audible capacity. This may not be the job, but I hope there is a focused effort. Maybe there already is. (Btw, for everyone's info, I despise legally imposed affirmative action at this point in history. I've seen it stunt careers, hamstring companies and cast unnecessary doubt on genuine achievers. But I understand the need for it at times.)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Why is no one mentioning Chris Stewart? He's awesome IMO.
I thought about him and he would likely do a great job. Two problems: Is he currently well enough to do it? and He's a great play-by-play guy. I'm sure he could do color commentary but not sure he's as well suited to it as being the main guy. It could work but I get the feeling he'll replace Eli when he retires so he'd have to be replaced then anyway.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I thought about him and he would likely do a great job. Two problems: Is he currently well enough to do it? and He's a great play-by-play guy. I'm sure he could do color commentary but not sure he's as well suited to it as being the main guy. It could work but I get the feeling he'll replace Eli when he retires so he'd have to be replaced then anyway.
Agreed. I think of Chris as a great play-by-play guy, but I'm not sure the knowledge of the intricacies of the game is there. I'd definitely see him as a successor to Eli, whenever he decides to hang it up. Not so sure about the color spot.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
My thoughts too. I'd like him great, and he'd probably surprise you with game knowledge, but it's great when the color guy can tell war stories.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I personally would have no problem with Cole getting the gig, and I think he'd understand that he would have to represent the Tide in the job despite his background as an Auburn football player. However, I think he's got a good thing going with the 3 Man Front radio show and his gigs with ESPN and SECN, so I don't see him giving that up.

I think it is overlooked a bit as to how much prep Savage did for CNS, and I wonder if the expectation will be the same for the new guy. JPW could probably do a good job with that but I'm just guessing here.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I want a Bama man, for sure (and there are several fine candidates). Not to whine and complain about every call that doesn't go Bama's way (like an aub), but to call it honestly and to clearly enjoy the hell out of it when Bama is kicking butt.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think it will be anybody who is so specifically a "rival" nor do I think it will be McElroy either. McElroy is probably on the fast track to doing the color for the primetime ESPN games within the next decade. He's following on a path to be the next Blackledge or Herbstreit. He could probably be the color guy for CTSN Football for the rest of his working life but he's chasing the commanding heights of this whole field right now.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Selmaborntidefan. They could save money by canceling their subscription to the Elias Stats Bureau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
If Joe Namath takes it I'll eat an Auburn hat (cake - or part of it at least). He's happy right where he is.

I haven't heard Jones in some time. It's possible he has "grown" and honed his skills, but I wouldn't know it.

Also haven't heard Johnson or Krauss that I've known it.

Tyler Watts might be the safe or logical choice.

Reese Davis would be an interesting choice but I doubt he would take it if offered. He has a sweet gig.

Eli discusses the issue in general:

http://tide1029.com/eli-gold-on-phil-savages-departure-and-alabama-football/

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.