News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Hate this; but figured it was coming when he took the job in Phoenix. He was valuable to Coach Saban as more than just a color analyst for our football team. He prepared scouting reports as well.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought he was a massive upgrade as a color analyst over what we had in my lifetime. He stepped down from the Senior Bowl earlier this year and now this jig...to focus on his spring league GM job. I think he may have ticked somebody off because I wouldn't leave those positions to head up a job for a league that may not last one season.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Things that make you go, "Hmmmm…"

Leaves the Senior Bowl in his hometown after several years in the chair, in a "mutual parting of the ways."

Leaves one of the best color announcing jobs in the country, and in the process leaves Saban, who he's known since he was an analyst for the Browns while Saban was there.

Packs up to move to Phoenix for a minor league job.

That's a lot of major life change in a short period of time. Hope everything's OK.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Agree that this is a head-scratcher. I really liked listening to Phil and enjoyed his analytical approach to each game. He seemed to me like he had firmly become a part of the university. It could be similar to the Joe Pendry situation— Maybe the opportunity was just too good to pass up

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The best color commentator I’ve ever heard. This is a huge blow to the radio broadcast, imo. So much knowledge of the game and worked well well Eli Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Will be interesting to see who they look to bring on board. I think Jay Barker definitely has the radio experience and is a Bama man. IDK.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I loved the little background grunts and moans on bad plays, and the excited shouts on great plays. Him screaming "TOUCHDOWN" on the final play against Georgia still send goosebumps.

I will miss him. Jay Barker will do just fine although I think I would narrowly prefer JPW.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This really bothers me because what Phil did at Bama went far beyond what a radio analyst normally does. I do wish him luck in the AAF and hope that works out for him. Mobile will always be proud to call Phil one of us!

rtr

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Will be interesting to see who they look to bring on board. I think Jay Barker definitely has the radio experience and is a Bama man. IDK.
He’s certainly available. I like Jay, but never thought of him as all that smart. Acknowledging that he played QB (20-25 years ago), I wonder if he has the necessary football knowledge. Even if he does, can he convey it to the listening audience in a manner they can understand?

That said, I don’t have a better suggestion.....Roger Schultz, maybe? He’d be entertaining.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Jay Barker will not be a good color commentator, IMHO. He has neither the personality nor the skill. By all accounts he is a great guy and I appreciate his play on the field back in the day.

I liked Savage, for the most part. Strange departure.

I'm leaning against GMac right now but it wouldn't completely surprise me if he was offered. I don't think he has the magic sauce for radio color guy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jay Barker will not be a good color commentator, IMHO. He has neither the personality nor the skill. By all accounts he is a great guy and I appreciate his play on the field back in the day.

I liked Savage, for the most part. Strange departure.

I'm leaning against GMac right now but it wouldn't completely surprise me if he was offered. I don't think he has the magic sauce for radio color guy.
Why would he want to do it, though? Surely, he makes more money as a sideline or color guy in the booth for ESPN.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.