Top 15 Democrat Candidates for President in 2020

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
After the experience bar has been set so low the last 3 terms (especially the very last) I don’t think we can ever complain about lack of experience again.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
That list feels like throwing crap against a wall and seeing what sticks. It's how, imo, we got Obama and Trump. I'm tired of the people electing the "least objectionable" and start elected candidates who can do the job.

Not a fan of the Democrats but I do see the value of them having a legitimate candidate to run in 2020. IMO, nobody on that liust is a viable candidate, right now.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This isn't going to happen. And I'm not saying that it should happen. But someone that would be interesting if she becomes more public over the next two years?

Michelle Obama. (Again I don't really think this will or should happen. More of an random thought because people realllllly like her.)

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This isn't going to happen. And I'm not saying that it should happen. But someone that would be interesting if she becomes more public over the next two years?

Michelle Obama. (Again I don't really think this will or should happen. More of an random thought because people realllllly like her.)
Sure, why the Hell not

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only way the Dems will beat Trump in 2020 is if they nominate someone with a little fire in their belly. Milquetoast, market-tested liberals will all but assure a two-term Trump presidency. This is why so much of the democratic party base was partial to Sanders in 2016. Agree with him or not, he has passion and authenticity. The party's rules helped assure that Clinton was offered up as the candidate and the rest is history. I don't bet on them learning their mistake. The DNC has spent as much - maybe even more - effort in combatting the left from within as they have on making honest attempts at staving off the right in the legislature. These folks are clowns. Long story short: bet on 8 years of Trump.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have had the impression that MacAuliffe only ran to build credentials for a presidential run. I am not a fan, but mostly because I hate the idea that my Commonwealth is a plaything for outside politicians. Policy-wise, he's not that bad, but I like our former carpetbagger governor, Mark Warner, better.

Mitch Landrieu has earned my undying ire for his demagogic removal of the Lee statue in New Orleans (which speeches from the dedication indicate was erected as a symbol of sectional reconciliation). I'd vote for a gutter drunk for president before I'd vote for Landrieu.

If I had to place a bet it would be on Warren as the eventual nominee.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I have had the impression that MacAuliffe only ran to build credentials for a presidential run. I am not a fan, but mostly because I hate the idea that my Commonwealth is a plaything for outside politicians. Policy-wise, he's not that bad, but I like our former carpetbagger governor, Mark Warner, better.

Mitch Landrieu has earned my undying ire for his demagogic removal of the Lee statue in New Orleans (which speeches from the dedication indicate was erected as a symbol of sectional reconciliation). I'd vote for a gutter drunk for president before I'd vote for Landrieu.

If I had to place a bet it would be on Warren as the eventual nominee.
That would be perfect. Trump would win in a landslide

I think they have to go with a Southern or Midwestern candidate to win in 2020

I wonder why they never tried to develop Manchin as a National Candidate. Is he too much of a centrist?

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If the Dems go into the primaries like the Republicans did in 2016 with 16-18 candidates they are guaranteed a loss. With all due respect to Tidewater, Elizabeth Warren would not fare as well as Hillary against Trump. At this point I do not think any of the 15 mentioned have much of a chance, but there is still plenty of time for someone to emerge. TW, would Warner be an electable candidate?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Any Bernie or Warren type will get destroyed by Trump

I kinda doubt anyone right now is going to be the person. Seriously, there was a time in 2002 in which everyone thought John Edwards was going to be the Democratic nominee.

I think in April time frame of next year we will know who is serious.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Here's one thing to keep in mind--the primary system, by its nature, promotes extremism. That's why we generally see candidates appeal to the base and then move to the center after the convention.

Also, even if a more moderate candidate gets the nod, whoever it is will need to tap someone further to the left to energize the base. That's why I thought that Kaine was a terrible choice--nice guy, but as bland as they get.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here's one thing to keep in mind--the primary system, by its nature, promotes extremism. That's why we generally see candidates appeal to the base and then move to the center after the convention.

Also, even if a more moderate candidate gets the nod, whoever it is will need to tap someone further to the left to energize the base. That's why I thought that Kaine was a terrible choice--nice guy, but as bland as they get.
True and True, but the problem with the Sanders and Warren idea is that they have to keep to their base like Trump did with Tea Party. I just don't think they can move center enough to get the MW and swing state vote in the general. I think a Booker type can be left enough to win the primary and right enough to win the popular and MW vote. Keep in mind that about 13 states (I think I may be off on the number) have pledged their EC votes to the outcome of the PV. So in theory the CA republican vote is going to be way up in the future elections and could swing the PV to Trump giving him a landslide victory. The Democrats need a person capable of winning the EC vote without the PV, and I think Warren and Sanders would unite the conservative votes strongly against them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It's my understanding (through several publications of those supposedly "in the know") that the choice of Kaine was because HRC was so sure that she would beat Trump that she did what (in all honesty) a President SHOULD do - pick the "best candidate in terms of succeeding her if it became necessary" rather than "pick someone who excites the base." Of course, the cynic in me sees the choice of, "If I add him, I can take Virginia" as the more likely root cause. Let me put it this way: if Tim Kaine was the exact same guy but came from Montana, I doubt HRC picks him.

(And I'm not going to fight with anyone over VP picks so everyone save your breath. Generally speaking, they want to get votes out of whoever they pick. Cheney, Biden, and Pence were exceptions to that rule).

I've always imagined that when Barack Obama was sitting with his advisors mulling over HRC as a VP pick and asked - no doubt rhetorically - "Am I gonna have any trouble carrying New York in November?" And when the advisors unanimously say, "No, you're 15 points ahead and McCain couldn't carry the state if Mario Cuomo possessed his soul," Obama retorted, "Then why in the hell would I pick her?"

I thought his pick of Biden was one of the best VP picks I've ever seen. He got a respected guy (both sides of the aisle) from a state he was going to carry anyway (disposing of the politics argument) with long-term DC experience and NOT Hillary Clinton. The fact Biden made some occasional Bush Jr kind of blunders was a happy accident that made Obama the silver-tongued pol sound even more like he knew what he was talking about.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

it seems like if that was the case, then sanders would have been the nominee. i also don't think obama was more extreme than hillary in 2008 (they were both fairly centrist)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If the Dems go into the primaries like the Republicans did in 2016 with 16-18 candidates they are guaranteed a loss. With all due respect to Tidewater, Elizabeth Warren would not fare as well as Hillary against Trump. At this point I do not think any of the 15 mentioned have much of a chance, but there is still plenty of time for someone to emerge.
Agreed - with such a high percentage of republicans 100% behind Trump even today, he's likely to be a formidable opponent if he survives the first term and if he wants a second.

I can't believe I just typed any of that. Goodness.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.