Top 15 Democrat Candidates for President in 2020

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What do you guys think about ranked choice to help make things a little less extreme? Getting a 3rd party to be truly viable seems a long way off. But if we had ranked choice and people were able to vote for their third party candidate without feeling as it was wasted, could that increase third party participation as well as keep us from the monkey-fornicating with a football president we currently have?
It would, almost overnight, guarantee at least one third-party would rise to challenge the main two parties - which is why you'll never see it happen.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
But you leave out that any movement takes time to build. That ballot access is only gained by either getting enough signatures for every single election in every single state or in most states by getting a minimum threshold of votes in the last election (which makes the next election much less laborious if you can get it done).
To expound a bit:

This is exactly why the duopoly must force everyone toward the red or blue box and make every effort to marginalize 3rd parties and 3rd party voters. To keep their duopoly they must limit ballot access. They must also use the debate commission to keep 3rd parties off the stage. At every step they must always make 3rd parties out to be the irrational and/or evil choice when nothing could be further from the truth. It is all part of the duopoly's master plan to keep their power. It is an intentional deceit created to demoralize those who might step away from them. Once again I must admit to being a part of the problem at one time because I believed what I had been told my entire life. But then I was told a lot of things that weren't true.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
What do you guys think about ranked choice to help make things a little less extreme? Getting a 3rd party to be truly viable seems a long way off. But if we had ranked choice and people were able to vote for their third party candidate without feeling as it was wasted, could that increase third party participation as well as keep us from the monkey-fornicating with a football president we currently have?
For it so long as you are not required to pick multiple choices (IOW, you can make your pick your one and only pick).

It would, almost overnight, guarantee at least one third-party would rise to challenge the main two parties - which is why you'll never see it happen.
Yup.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
If you are serious about getting a 3rd party off the ground, you have to start at the local level, where national money won't have as big a presence. Establish a presence and build from there, understanding that you are probably looking at a generational task.

Unless you've got someone at the level of Soros or the Koch brothers bankrolling you, of course.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
If you are serious about getting a 3rd party off the ground, you have to start at the local level, where national money won't have as big a presence. Establish a presence and build from there, understanding that you are probably looking at a generational task.

Unless you've got someone at the level of Soros or the Koch brothers bankrolling you, of course.
True. The L's seem to understand this, but they aren't giving up the national stage.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You start out well enough. We do have a 2 party system. You see this bug as a feature. I don't.

But then you continue with the same tropes of tripe that are regurgitated over and over.

Chaos? Look no further than our current president. His modus operandi is chaos, yet you accuse 3rd party voters of stirring up chaos! You have a glaring blind spot.

Then you state reasonably that a 3rd party is unlikely to win the presidency before declaring that they are "stealing" votes from the major parties. I think your statement here says all that needs to be said on that.

You assume that I care whether I vote for the winner. More than half the people who voted in the last election did not vote for the winner. Most elections it is only a very small margin that makes the majority who do vote for the winner, so nearly half of voters vote for the loser in every election. Had Trump lost you would also be a protest voter, I guess. Or maybe enough "protest votes" actually got this bombastic outsider elected.

But you leave out that any movement takes time to build. That ballot access is only gained by either getting enough signatures for every single election in every single state or in most states by getting a minimum threshold of votes in the last election (which makes the next election much less laborious if you can get it done).

Of course I am passionate about the issue. It only makes sense in this hyper-partisan chaotic morass created by the 2 party system and those that enable it that someone with half a brain might at least consider voting for and thereby advancing the cause of a 3rd party. It only makes sense that someone who believes in freedom refuses to be forced into the red or blue box. That no one owns my vote but me and therefore it can only be given and never "stolen". That your warped interpretation of what it really means is meaningless other than the fact far too many people have bought that lie.

I wish you were wrong about the chances for a 3rd party. I can only hope that younger generations, of which 71% want to see the end of the current duopoly, will not become so cynical that they lose hope and give up when their numbers show that they could make it finally happen, thereby relegating people such as yourself into the category of "irrelevant relic protest vote". Millennials may just end up being the generation to save this country from its own apathy and pathetic stupidity.

Yeah, I'm passionate. If everyone were as passionate about voting for something instead of voting against something we'd have a much better government and nation. Maybe we should just embrace the "protest" label like R's embraced "deplorable" or D's embraced "nasty woman". Maybe we can use it as marketing. Want to protest both parties? Dump them both. You have a 50/50 shot of voting for the loser and being a protest voter anyway so make it count.

Just a load of self-serving destructively arrogant malarkey.
I think you might be overthinking the protest vote idea. If you vote for one of the two major parties that person has a chance to win, therefore, even if you the person you voted for loses it wouldn't be considered a protest vote. Voting third party is considered a protest vote by many because that person has no chance of winning. Completely understand your point about third party needing to build up support so voting third party, even though they will lose the current election, can certainly build some momentum or whatnot for future elections but for the current election it's viewed as a protest vote for the reasons I stated..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
would it be possible to have ranked choice voting with the electoral college? it seems like it would be tough to do, but i've never really thought through that much

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A 3rd party takes time to build?

I mean it's only been 228 years....right? And we are no closer to having a 3rd party then we were 20-30-50 years ago.....

You don't have to accept the reality of the situation. That's fine.... But reality is, is that it's not going to happen, at least not in the near future.

But please, add 10 more paragraphs of your opinion. But, it doesn't change the reality of the moment, or the fact that nothing is going to change this year, in 2020, or at any time after that before we are all worm food.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I think you might be overthinking the protest vote idea. If you vote for one of the two major parties that person has a chance to win, therefore, even if you the person you voted for loses it wouldn't be considered a protest vote. Voting third party is considered a protest vote by many because that person has no chance of winning. Completely understand your point about third party needing to build up support so voting third party, even though they will lose the current election, can certainly build some momentum or whatnot for future elections but for the current election it's viewed as a protest vote for the reasons I stated..
See my post above on why the duopoly has to push this line.

I also see why some see it that way and as I have said to an extent it is true - but not seeing the other parts is dishonest. Saying major party votes are stolen is dishonest. Most of the arguments in this vein are dishonest. Ignoring the fact that the majority vote was a protest vote in this last election is dishonest.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
A 3rd party takes time to build?

I mean it's only been 228 years....right? And we are no closer to having a 3rd party then we were 20-30-50 years ago.....

You don't have to accept the reality of the situation. That's fine.... But reality is, is that it's not going to happen, at least not in the near future.

But please, add 10 more paragraphs of your opinion. But, it doesn't change the reality of the moment, or the fact that nothing is going to change this year, in 2020, or at any time after that before we are all worm food.
OK. I can live with that. In the meantime I'll be over here doing my thing. Gay marriage, legal cannabis, and Donald Trump say hello.

ETA: Almost left out Barack Obama.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
OK. I can live with that. In the meantime I'll be over here doing my thing. Gay marriage, legal cannabis, and Donald Trump say hello.

ETA: Almost left out Barack Obama.
Wow, I'm not sure but I think you may be trying to call me something.....slightly veiled, but nonetheless, I'm sensing you are trying to imply something (or is it "infer"?).... which, I'm sure cannot possibly be true....

Why is it that someone that disagrees with you is being "dishonest"?

Why is it that the simple act of not agreeing with you causes you such stress, pain, frustration, etc?

And finally, why is it that it leads you to a place where you are on the edge of labeling someone you don't know?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Wow, I'm not sure but I think you may be trying to call me something.....slightly veiled, but nonetheless, I'm sensing you are trying to imply something (or is it "infer"?).... which, I'm sure cannot possibly be true....

Why is it that someone that disagrees with you is being "dishonest"?

Why is it that the simple act of not agreeing with you causes you such stress, pain, frustration, etc?

And finally, why is it that it leads you to a place where you are on the edge of labeling someone you don't know?
I called the argument dishonest, not the one arguing. A small yet important distinction.

As far as implying something by my list of things that were supposed to be impossible but obviously weren't in hindsight...the only implication is what I just stated - they were things that were supposed to be impossible.

And no, I am not trying to call you something or I would call you that thing. I am also not implying anything and am at a loss at to what that would be.

I am not stressed by this. My frustration stems from the obvious - this is how people like me a marginalized.

But I noticed that you are still here as well. Why is that? So that you can project your feelings onto me?

I'm not labeling you, but this all started when you basically labeled me inappropriately as purely a protest voter despite having no real evidence then vigorously defended that when challenged. I go back to projection.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I called the argument dishonest, not the one arguing. A small yet important distinction.

As far as implying something by my list of things that were supposed to be impossible but obviously weren't in hindsight...the only implication is what I just stated - they were things that were supposed to be impossible.

And no, I am not trying to call you something or I would call you that thing. I am also not implying anything and am at a loss at to what that would be.

I am not stressed by this. My frustration stems from the obvious - this is how people like me a marginalized.

But I noticed that you are still here as well. Why is that? So that you can project your feelings onto me?

I'm not labeling you, but this all started when you basically labeled me inappropriately as purely a protest voter despite having no real evidence then vigorously defended that when challenged. I go back to projection.
you must be new here?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
If you want a viable 3rd party, doing something about CU is a necessary step.
If I want freedom of speech, CU was a necessary outcome. Congress is free to go back to the drawing board and carve out something that is less restrictive and applied equally to disparate parties.

By the government's own admission, they could stop or criminally punish someone for publishing a book in the run up to an election. The government's arguments were ridiculous and it is good for political discourse they lost the case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.