Le Tour 2018

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That time of year again and it has already started this morning. I know we have some cyclists here so hope that will result in some discussion in this thread.

The 2018 Tour de France will be the 105th edition of the Tour de France, one of cycling's three Grand Tours. The 3,329 km (2,069 mi) race will depart Noirmoutier-en-l'Île, in the Vendée department, on 7 July and will finish with the Champs-Élysées stage in Paris, on 29 July. A total of 176 riders across 22 teams will participate in the 21-stage race. The Tour will be the shortest of the century and will be the fifth time a tour has set out from the Vendée department.

Official website of Le Tour

NBC Sports - Cycling website

NBC Sports TDF website

TDF Route

Tour Map

Wiki page

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It's being televised once again by NBC Sports Network. There is also streaming available.

Multiple airings each day, just as always.

Alberto Contador has retired and will be missed.

Also this odd incident occurred:

Chris Froome was cleared of doping one day after being banned from the Tour de France. What is going on?

The four-time Tour de France winner was found to have tested positive for double the levels of the asthma medication salbutamol permitted by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) last December. Yet, he was set to compete for a fifth yellow jersey when the Tour begins on July 7. Cycling’s governing body — the Union Cycliste Internationale, or UCI — did not suspend him, and had instead been waiting for its own investigation to conclude before meting out punishment.

But on Sunday, six days before the Tour’s Grand Départ, race organizers took matters into their own hands and blocked Froome from competing. The Tour is run by an independent French organization — Amaury Sport Organisation, or ASO — that was evidently frustrated by how long UCI’s investigation was taking.
THEN on Monday, UCI dropped a bomb shell, releasing a statement saying that it has concluded its investigation, and that Froome is clear of charges.
The UCI has considered all the relevant evidence in detail (in consultation with its own experts and experts from WADA). On 28 June 2018, WADA informed the UCI that it would accept, based on the specific facts of the case, that Mr Froome’s sample results do not constitute an AAF. In light of WADA’s unparalleled access to information and authorship of the salbutamol regime, the UCI has decided, based on WADA’s position, to close the proceedings against Mr Froome.

Froome has to be the odds on favourite to repeat as champion but as we all know there's a lot of racing to go and a lot can happen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Much respect to Texan rider Lawson Craddock...one of only five Americans in the event - for toughing it out despite the injuries from yesterday's crash.

Stage two now over and team time trial tomorrow.

Stoked that Sagan won today - it was close there at the end and he's lucky he didn't go down in that last crash.

For those keeping score...

Confirmation of the current top 10
in the General Classification

1. Peter Sagan (SVK) Bora-Hansgrohe 8:29:53
2. Fernando Gaviria (COL) Quick-Step Floors +0:00:06
3. Sonny Colbrelli (ITA) Bahrain-Merida +0:00:10
4. Marcel Kittel (GER) Katusha-Alpecin +0:00:12
5. Sylvain Chavanel (FRA) Direct Energie +0:00:13
6. Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Quick-Step Floors +0:00:14
7. Geraint Thomas (GBR) Team Sky +0:00:15
8. Oliver Naesen (Bel) AG2R La Mondiale same time
9. Alexander Kristoff (NOR) UAE Team Emirates +0:00:16
10. John Degenkolb (GER) (Trek-Segafredo) same time

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/lawsoncraddock/status/1015697616125026304

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It was announced today that Lawson Craddock has obtained pledges for approx. $14K for his Houston Strong cause.....plus he finished today in the team time trial, so lots of good news there.

Today's result:

Top 10 on General Classification

Greg van Avermaet takes the yellow jersey, but it was a good day also for Geraint Thomas, Tejay van Garderen, Philippe Gilbert and Tom Domuloin. Chris Froome can be happy with his day’s work too. He’s not in the top 10, but won back a sizeable chunk of time. He’s 18th on GC, 55 seconds off the lead.

Stage three result

• 1. BMC Racing Team 38min 46sec
  • 2. Team Sky +04sec
  • 3. Quick-Step Floors +07sec
  • 4. Mitchelton - Scott +09sec
  • 5. Team Sunweb +12sec
  • 6. Team EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale +35sec
  • 7. Bora-Hansgrohe +50sec
  • 8. Astana Pro Team +52sec
  • 9. Team Katusha-Alpecin +53sec
  • 10. Movistar Team +54sec

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My daughter could almost throw a rock and hit hit Le Alpe d'Huez, but it's 2.5 hours because of having to detour down the mountain and through Albertville and Grenoble... :)

Edit: Their little restaurant is about to work their butts off 7 days a week, so they couldn't consider going, anyway...

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
My daughter could almost throw a rock and hit hit Le Alpe d'Huez, but it's 2.5 hours because of having to detour down the mountain and through Albertville and Grenoble... :)

Edit: Their little restaurant is about to work their butts off 7 days a week, so they couldn't consider going, anyway...
Good for them!

If you get any pics of their place including the inside and any food dishes, please post in the PHOTO thread - I'm sure it would be of great interest to us all, especially me! :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good for them!

If you get any pics of their place including the inside and any food dishes, please post in the PHOTO thread - I'm sure it would be of great interest to us all, especially me! :D
Here is their website with menu:

Website

Here is their Facebook page:

FACEBOOK

Here is the old TripAdvisor page. They have kept most of the menu, but, as the first Facebook reviewer points out, they've added their own twists. That's natural, since they're both cooks. Also, they've added a burger as a special. Burgers are hot right now...

TripAdvisor

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interestingly enough, about half their business has been repeat locals. The wife of the couple who were the former owners was a bit on the abrasive side and they didn't get much local business. Rachel and Dom have reversed that. One early customer, from Brittany, ate two galettes and one dessert crepe and commented that they could open a creperie in Brittany. By way of explanation, that is a high compliment, since Brittany is the origin and home of crepes. I've been educated that crepes (pronounced as "crehps," not "crayps) made from flour are all dessert - fruit, ice cream, etc. Galettes have "savory" ingredients - cheese, meats, eggs, etc. and they are only made from buckwheat. That was a challenge before they got their round griddles or "biligs" seasoned properly. Buckwheat is a very thin gluten-free batter. The Brittany customer was amusing because the female former owner had told Rachel that she needed to go to Brittany and learn how to make crepes and galettes... :D

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
I use Fat Franks on my bike (a definite comfort cruiser) -- I told my husband that maybe some of the tour riders should consider those for cobble stages instead of those tiny razor blades they currently use! :biggrin2:

A few years ago, we attended a local bike handling class (really, just for a fun day out with others on our bikes). Part of the class instruction was how to quickly steer around a roadway hazard while maintaining a straight line ride within a group. My strategy was to just ride the Fat Franks right over the hazard -- and it's been a successful strategy for many years now.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
True . . . I think 9 of the 15 cobbles sections today were same as those in Paris-Roubaix (?) -- might be off since I didn't go back and re-confirm.
i haven't watched the tour in a few years. i saw the finish location for today's race and assumed they would use some of that route. that (paris-roubaix) is a brutal race.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.