BREAKING: Van Darius Cowan Dismissed from Team

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not good for anyone involved, but I am glad to see Saban putting Alabama first. Too many coaches bury this stuff.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
He was given multiple chances while at UA to get his act together.... It's always something with him. I hope he figures it out and save his career somewhere.
I care even less about his career than he apparently does. Most people will never get anything close to the chance he was afforded. I just hope he stays out of jail and doesn’t harm others. Maybe he will eventually figure it out.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Several thoughts here.

First, to quote Bugs Bunny, “What a maroon.” Golden lifetime opportunity, at a position of need, and throw it away in a college bar.

Second, as others have already stated, this stuff doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Social problems, academic problems, and problems playing within a system most often go together, due to the fundamental mindset that leads to all three.

Finally, due to #2 above, I’m guessing there’s a lot more incidents of all kinds that haven’t made the news. If it were his first incident, I doubt it would have resulted in immediate and total dismissal.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm guessing a snarky/inappropriate comment (or worse) and a huge linebacker who may not handle a buzz well....
I`m pretty sure that the above would qualify as a dangerous combo !! If accurate, not exactly stellar judgment on the part of the punchee ( not in any way justifying the actions of the puncher, mind you ).

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Looks like we might be seeing him on Last Chance U [emoji3].

Seriously, though I hope he can get the right people in his life to guide him to make better decisions. One opportunity is missed and hope he takes advantage of his next one wherever that may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Looks like we might be seeing him on Last Chance U [emoji3].

Seriously, though I hope he can get the right people in his life to guide him to make better decisions. One opportunity is missed and hope he takes advantage of his next one wherever that may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep that kind of stuff up and you can find that your next " opportunity " is on the back of a garbage truck. Or worse. Not meant as a slight to sanitation workers, just intended as an example of a " what could have been " moment.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The man managing the roster is really the only thing that matters here. Coach brought the kid in, worked with him and then cut him...nuf said.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The man managing the roster is really the only thing that matters here. Coach brought the kid in, worked with him and then cut him...nuf said.
Will never fault CNS for giving the kid every opportunity to get his act together. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

For the guys making the snarky AU comments, I would take him if he goes to JUCO for a year, pays his dues and seems to get his act together. I'm all about giving a kid that screwed up a shot provided he takes the opportunity to learn and grow from his mistakes.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Will never fault CNS for giving the kid every opportunity to get his act together. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

For the guys making the snarky AU comments, I would take him if he goes to JUCO for a year, pays his dues and seems to get his act together. I'm all about giving a kid that screwed up a shot provided he takes the opportunity to learn and grow from his mistakes.
So would I. Come to think of it, hasn`t CNS done precisely that, or something similar? A certain player from Georgia comes to mind. May not have been exactly the same.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I agree. Bama did this with DJ Pettway and it turned out well for both parties. And the original school he left was Bama and his crime was far worse, though his involvement was sketchy. He tried the NFL and was not able to make it. Jeremy Pruitt has hired him to his UT staff (defensive quality control asst). That's a great recommendation. Hope it continues to work out for him.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
https://www.si.com/college-football...fer-rule-serious-misconduct-domestic-violence

Incoming SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said he believes the SEC is the first league to make such a rule, which comes at a time when there is more public pressure for sports leagues to take a harder stance against domestic and sexual violence. “It’s an understanding of the current climate,” Sankey said.

The rule would not ban every player dismissed from a school for disciplinary reasons. For example, quarterback Nick Marshall still would have been allowed to sign with Auburn even if this rule had been in effect at the time. Marshall was dismissed from Georgia following a theft from a teammate.
Sankey said the rule does not take into account the legal system but instead uses the previous university’s response as a trigger for the ban. So even a player whose criminal charges were still pending would be banned from transferring to an SEC school. Sankey said that like all other SEC bylaws, this rule would also have a waiver process to cover extraordinary cases.
My thing is, his was more of a assault charge... But either way, I don't expect him to land at a SEC school next year. JUCO is his best shot and He can land at P5 schools next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.