When Does Fall Practice Begin & What News Comes Out First?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Always start thinking about fall camp about this time of year. We should only be a little more than 3 weeks away, but does anyone know when?

What news to you expect to hear first after practice gets going?

1. QB news/reports?
2. New players who are standing out the most? Perhaps a video glimpse of one of our new freshman stars?
3. An injury? :( They always seem to happen and what would be the worst case scenario?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Expect Saban to go ahead and make the starting QB announcement at SEC Media Days July 16-19.

Seriously, though, we might hear rumor and innuendo based on what Coach Saban wants us to see during media time at practice, but I doubt we know anything until our first offensive snap vs Louisville.

On number 2, again, it kinda depends on what Coach Saban wants seen and reported.

#3, but your tongue(or smash your finger with a hammer)! Let's hope to not have that issue again.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On #1, I was thinking more about what reporters my be saying who get some media time, or what players/trainers might talk to others about, and less of what CNS might say "officially." I agree, that'll be very hush, hush.

#2, I know the practice videos are limited and controlled, but sometimes you see little things that later make sense. I remember noting how accurate Tua was compared to Jalen in those videos when they were running just simple, little patterns. It was tangible even then and proved to be a big thing later.

#3, injuries are almost inevitable. We go pretty hard in fall camp and I think they go full scale tackling early on (instead of using the thud technique later during the season). Then there will be two or three scimmages. There will be an injury or two unless we are extremely lucky. Just hope it's not a key player or thin position group.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
On #1, I was thinking more about what reporters my be saying who get some media time, or what players/trainers might talk to others about, and less of what CNS might say "officially." I agree, that'll be very hush, hush.

#2, I know the practice videos are limited and controlled, but sometimes you see little things that later make sense. I remember noting how accurate Tua was compared to Jalen in those videos when they were running just simple, little patterns. It was tangible even then and proved to be a big thing later.

#3, injuries are almost inevitable. We go pretty hard in fall camp and I think they go full scale tackling early on (instead of using the thud technique later during the season). Then there will be two or three scimmages. There will be an injury or two unless we are extremely lucky. Just hope it's not a key player or thin position group.
I personally would now put ILB at or very near the front of that line.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
1. Not coming. Not in public, anyway.

2. As others have said, you can sometimes pick up stuff that makes sense later. But at the time, it's hard to tell what is meaningful and what is random happenstance.

3. Injuries are always subject to circumspect commentary. Unless they're out for the year, you won't hear much of any substance. A few that would hurt the most: Raekwon Davis, Anfernee Jennings, Tua, ILB (especially Mack Wilson), and Pierschbacher.

The good news on injuries is that we have the most overall team depth in the country. No team in history could have survived 2017's rash of injuries at the LB position, especially so early in the season, and gone on to win the NC.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The first thing on the reporters' mind will be the QB situation. But we all know they won't get anything from CNS on the first day.

So the reports will first be some QB speculation based on media viewing, then we'll hear about specific players who caught the coaches' eyes.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Well, August 1 is a Wednesday.. I don’t know when it starts but hopefully right away!

It would be nice to hear how good the young DBs look... and that Tua is getting first team reps!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
My Prediction for Coach Saban's first fall practice press conference:

CNS: We don't have a depth chart and we haven't named a starting QB, so don't ask.

First Question: Coach, will you give us a depth chart, and who's in the lead to start at QB?

;)

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Is anyone going to SEC Media days in Atlanta at Omni Hotel next Wednesday when BAMA will be there? I live in the Atlanta area and was wondering if it was worth going to.

I believe Saban is speaking at 12:30 or 1;30 , then some team members around 3:30, and Saban is accepting the McArthur Award at 4:30 at the College Football Hall of Fame. I just need to decide if I want to fight traffic and crowds or just watch it on TV.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Is anyone going to SEC Media days in Atlanta at Omni Hotel next Wednesday when BAMA will be there? I live in the Atlanta area and was wondering if it was worth going to.

I believe Saban is speaking at 12:30 or 1;30 , then some team members around 3:30, and Saban is accepting the McArthur Award at 4:30 at the College Football Hall of Fame. I just need to decide if I want to fight traffic and crowds or just watch it on TV.
How to say this diplomatically, and not hurt anyone's feelings?......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.