Alabama's laws concerning insurance on cars

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
So with my dealings with law and how it affects people I've seen a particular law overstep its design and legality. I'm talking about the car insurance liability law that the revenue dept uses to cripple low income families. This law had good intentions. Make sure everyone on the road has liability insurance. However the revenue dept now (probably since its inception)enforces this law whether or not your car is on the road.

I've had people tell me that their tag is suspended even though they have insurance on their car. That at one point, where because of getting insurance with a new company or a wreck or car being repaired, the insurance they had went out. Even had one person who had their insurance lapse at 12 midnight on one day and they got insurance through another carrier the next and the state is fining them 200.00 because the insurance wasn't carried from finish to start. Each time you let your insurance lapse its a 200.00 fine. There is no alternative, like driving school for traffic tickets, that the state offers. You pay the fine or your registration is suspended. Want to pay but can't pay it all at once? Nope, the state wants it all at one time. Can't pay it? Too bad, your registration is suspended. Insurance carrier no longer provides car insurance and hasn't for years and can no longer provide you with a letter with their letterhead stating that at this exact time on this exact date you had insurance? Registration is suspended.

The state is even going back years for you to prove you had insurance. If you get a misdemeanor you can't be arrested after a year. I've talked to working people with low income jobs that this is affecting in a bad way. They soon won't be able to work or will have to drive with expired tags which will pile up tickets and fines. This is a law that I believe needs changed. There has to be an alternative for low income people to deal with these fines. As any of you know who have had to deal with the revenue dept, they are not the most helpful pleasant people. Getting answers and/or help is not easy.

I'm all for having a law requiring liability insurance. My daughter was involved in an accident with someone who didnt have insurance and we are still dealing with that issue. However I don't believe the government should be able to enforce those restrictions on vehicles that aren't even on the roadway. The law needs changing, tweaking before we start putting more low income families on government welfare. Which it seems at times that the government wants. What say you?

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
So with my dealings with law and how it affects people I've seen a particular law overstep its design and legality. I'm talking about the car insurance liability law that the revenue dept uses to cripple low income families. This law had good intentions. Make sure everyone on the road has liability insurance. However the revenue dept now (probably since its inception)enforces this law whether or not your car is on the road.

I've had people tell me that their tag is suspended even though they have insurance on their car. That at one point, where because of getting insurance with a new company or a wreck or car being repaired, the insurance they had went out. Even had one person who had their insurance lapse at 12 midnight on one day and they got insurance through another carrier the next and the state is fining them 200.00 because the insurance wasn't carried from finish to start. Each time you let your insurance lapse its a 200.00 fine. There is no alternative, like driving school for traffic tickets, that the state offers. You pay the fine or your registration is suspended. Want to pay but can't pay it all at once? Nope, the state wants it all at one time. Can't pay it? Too bad, your registration is suspended. Insurance carrier no longer provides car insurance and hasn't for years and can no longer provide you with a letter with their letterhead stating that at this exact time on this exact date you had insurance? Registration is suspended.

The state is even going back years for you to prove you had insurance. If you get a misdemeanor you can't be arrested after a year. I've talked to working people with low income jobs that this is affecting in a bad way. They soon won't be able to work or will have to drive with expired tags which will pile up tickets and fines. This is a law that I believe needs changed. There has to be an alternative for low income people to deal with these fines. As any of you know who have had to deal with the revenue dept, they are not the most helpful pleasant people. Getting answers and/or help is not easy.

I'm all for having a law requiring liability insurance. My daughter was involved in an accident with someone who didnt have insurance and we are still dealing with that issue. However I don't believe the government should be able to enforce those restrictions on vehicles that aren't even on the roadway. The law needs changing, tweaking before we start putting more low income families on government welfare. Which it seems at time that the government wants. What say you?
That is a very good assessment of a well intended law that definitively falls on the back of the poorest drivers and is doubled up on as a revenue source by local governments and the state. I have been in local courts and have seen the poorest and least likely people to commit crimes be totally dumped upon.

At the same time my family has been a victim of a grave act committed by a criminal in an expensive high performance car without any liability insurance at all.

I have come to recognize that the Geicos, Farmers and Progressives of the world are really financial organizations masquerading as service organizations. They exist in their high profit
niche created by the requirement most of us have for collision and liability coverage regardless of cost. It must be obscenely profitable otherwise we would not be constantly flooded with commercials and new entries into the field.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I have come to recognize that the Geicos, Farmers and Progressives of the world are really financial organizations masquerading as service organizations. They exist in their high profit
niche created by the requirement most of us have for collision and liability coverage regardless of cost. It must be obscenely profitable otherwise we would not be constantly flooded with commercials and new entries into the field.
See also: health insurance, college tuition

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.