What was the third Saturday in October like before Fulmer? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: What was the third Saturday in October like before Fulmer?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Well, mine and your experiences are vastly different, that's all I can say.

Only fan base I've ever seen that I think are collectively "bad" are LSU fans. I know there are exceptions, but most of them are rather difficult. Ask our Mods and that's why LSU fans were basically blocked from posting here. No such thing has ever happened here with other fan bases, unless it was an individual, bad apple.
    I understand what you are saying, and I might feel the same way had I had your experiences. In Dec of 2016 in Spring Hill...a UT guy cut my left front tire and packed 2 liquor bottles under it while shopping. Cost me $200. I have been here since '91. Have YET to hear a nice compliment to the State of Alabama. Btw...the guy stood leaning on his truck waiting on me to back out. When I heard the bottles pop..I got out tosee what the heck happened. He climbed in his multicolored truck and left. Had a "Vols 1998 National Champion" sticker remains on the bumper.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Well, mine and your experiences are vastly different, that's all I can say.

Only fan base I've ever seen that I think are collectively "bad" are LSU fans. I know there are exceptions, but most of them are rather difficult. Ask our Mods and that's why LSU fans were basically blocked from posting here. No such thing has ever happened here with other fan bases, unless it was an individual, bad apple.
    Can't disagree on LSU fans. I have some LSU friends, but they go dead silent when anything Bama is mentioned, and I am certainly no braggart. I respect the program that they have down there. But when you tell an LSU fan that you support Bama? That pretty much changes the dynamics of communication. Kinda reminds me of a Syrian friend I had once. He was as balanced of a gent as any that I had ever met or worked around UNTIL.....the subject of Israeli territories came into discussion. Then a change in facial expression followed by venom. He was also a Professed Christian. He was raised that way. So I have seen what you talk about from LSU people, but also Ole Miss, Georgia, most Florida fans (but many of those just feel Florida is annointed to begin with), and most Awbun fans. Heck...I have run into a lot of Bama fans who need therapy. CPB used to encourage us to show class. Who has done that since his death? Answer is CNS by example. Also CGS. A fine gentleman.
    Last edited by Tenntiderman; July 12th, 2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Respect for Coach Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-SEC dadleyblane5's Avatar

This was during Fulmer : I already didn't like 10rc, but when they stood on the sidelines one year in the late 90's or early 2000's ( can't remember when ) and sang the words " WE OWN ALABAMA " replacing the words " Sweet Home Alabama " I began to loathe them severely.

It was usually a high water mark for us fans to see how good a team we had.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Prior to the Fulmer era the Bama vs UT rivalry was the best in the SEC, one of the most followed throughout college football. With the exception of a few years here and there, the winner of The Third Saturday in October was likely the SEC champ. It was a bitter, spirited rivalry, but as I recall there was a lot of respect between the programs and its fans, unlike auburn. BTW, in those days the UT band had not introduced "Rocky Top" which now irritates the hell out of all Alabama fans.
    ^^^this...

I remember pep rallies before the Tennessee game when I was at Bama in the 70's and they were just as spirited if not more than the Auburn ones. There was an intense need to beat UT and beat them bad, but the rivalry was much more civil than it has been since Fulmer pulled his shenanigans...

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post
    We can all blame Fulmer if we want to but the majority of the issues were Alabama's own self inflicted problems and mis-management of the program from the time Coach Bryant retired till the hiring of Coach Saban. We did manage to win at a very high level when Coach Stallings was here but still were a lot of problems under the surface during his time.

I don't disagree with the assertion that we had problems - but I also cannot believe that it isn't obvious that conspiring with the SEC commissioner to basically get your own clean bill of health while crippling a rival and acting all righteous about it is little more than the CFB version of Elmer Gantry.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation All-American

I'm 53. TSIO was hotly contested, but with some respect for the most part on both sides. the Internet and talk radio have enabled the worst fans to find a soapbox, and to hide behind anonymity. I've been treated pretty well in Knoxville on game day. Beating UT will always be important to me because of the history of this rivalry, good and bad. My son is marrying a dear young lady who grew up a Vol fan, with her dad working for the Vol network. She's good for my son, so I love her.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

When we played UT at Legion Field my dad would always take me. My dad didn't seem to hate UT but it seemed like that game had a little more attention on it. They were not as disliked as the barn. My dad passed before the Fulmer era started, but I grew to actually hate that program and I still do! RTR!

BamaNation Second Team

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I believe in some years, Bama wore Crimson jerseys and UT wore Orange, in the same game, which some considered apropos for that time of the year when Fall foliage is at its peak. Historically, It seems that UT generally played well on the road. I recall the close call the Vols gave Bama in 79’, which should have been a blowout, followed by some epic road victories in 83’, 85’ and 95’. Close road games as a decided underdog also occurred in 09’ and 15’. In contrast, Bama always seems to be at ease in Knoxville, and even when the Vols had some success in the 90’s and early 00’s, the wins in Knoxville were often by thin margins. In fact, I cannot recall a single time the Tide has been dominated in Knoxville. It seems Bama usually wins there, and when UT wins in Neyland, the game is tightly contested.

Maybe I remember it differently because I was younger and it's so bad now, but it seems like there was a lot of respect - both teams knew the other was typically the other team in contention for the SEC title. That said, I think there was always a little more hatred from UT as they were always the 'inferior' team, at least when viewed over the decades. They beat Bama their fair share, but Bama won the SEC more, NCs, more, bowl games (before there were 40+), etc.

But I recall it being respectful. Fans got along and (generally) treated each other accordingly.

Then again, I could simply be remembering the august halls of my youth...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-SEC

UT used to play some good out of conference games back in the 60's and 70's . I remember watching them on TV with my dad and rooting for them to win . No more !

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by utjughead View Post
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but I believe in some years, Bama wore Crimson jerseys and UT wore Orange, in the same game, which some considered apropos for that time of the year when Fall foliage is at its peak.
    I believe this was true at times in the past.

Historically, It seems that UT generally played well on the road. I recall the close call the Vols gave Bama in 79’, which should have been a blowout, followed by some epic road victories in 83’, 85’ and 95’. Close road games as a decided underdog also occurred in 09’ and 15’. In contrast, Bama always seems to be at ease in Knoxville, and even when the Vols had some success in the 90’s and early 00’s, the wins in Knoxville were often by thin margins. In fact, I cannot recall a single time the Tide has been dominated in Knoxville. It seems Bama usually wins there, and when UT wins in Neyland, the game is tightly contested.
    UT has been good on the road, so has Bama. I believe it is more of a function that they have both had a lot of good teams. Bama has a winning record vs every SEC team as the visitor as well as the host.

Bama/UT:
    Knoxville: 25-20-1
    Tusc: 9-4
    Bham: 21-13-7
    Total: 55-37-8

IMO, the best team has usually won regardless of the location. That's one reason why there have been so many streaks of 4 or more. UT's had streaks of 4, 4, 4, 7. Bama's had streaks of 7, 4, 11, 7, ?11?

It was once a series with respect for both sides. With stakes so high now and social media, it's almost impossible to retain any civility in a competitive series because the crazies have a platform and the stakes are so high. So, even apart from Fulmer it would be tough, but with him, it's almost impossible for Bama fans. The only reason for the current "quiet atmosphere" is Bama's dominance. If it becomes competitive again, things will change.

We have moved back to Alabama from Tennessee and I must say that I don't miss listening to those fans talk about how we cheat, how we have the bama mafia and just plain ol crap that is spewed from some of their mouths. They can't seem to handle the fact that we have better players and better coaches than they do. I hate these other teams accusing us of paying to get players. Coach Saban just outworks them.