What was the third Saturday in October like before Fulmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
ut fans can exalt Fulmer all they want, yet half of them still blame him for the state of their program today. I will always concurrently despise Fulmer and love him for his inadvertent inspiration of the Alabama program to rise above the doom he had vowed to place on it. Enjoy the mediocrity, orange scum.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Everything said in these 7 pages about the hate and dislike for Tennessee does not come close to how much I despise and loathe anything auburn.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
My earliest memories of the TSIO was the late 70’s early 80’s. We had been on a long winning streak, but I remember it being a hard fought, but respectful rivalry. I grew up on the Al/Tn state line, and was around plenty of Vile fans, but I guess during those days they were humbled enough not to be as obnoxious. Back in the 80’s, I could even pull for Tn sometimes in other games, but all that change mid 90’s.

My most memorable TSIO was the 94 game. I turned 21 that day, and Bama came out of Knoxville with a W and aside from the SECCG had a great season. Little did I know what was lingering on the horizon. I lost all respect I may have had for them after phat boy pulled his stunt, and I always pull for them to lose every game since. I Hate Tennessee, I Can’t Stress That Enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
A lot of times you have Alabama fans whose "second favorite team" was Tennessee. It was like the civil war (not literally) in that two brothers would have a three-hour fist fight, the loser would raise the winner's hand, and they'd go have a beer afterwards. When Auburn beat us, there was resentment. When Tennessee beat us, there was respect.
You described it perfectly. Sort of like the LSU-Alabama rivalry since Saban arrived at Alabama. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm happy to root for LSU when they play out of conference.

This has been discussed many, many times on this board, but whether you consider Auburn or Tennessee as Bama's main rival usually depends on your generation. Some older fans and most younger fans who came of age in the 90s and 00s consider UT our most bitter rival. Folks like me whose fandom began in the late 70s/80s likely regard AU as our more hated rival.

Even after all these years, I'm still sorry that the UT-Bama rivalry has been so sullied by Fulmer. It's a pity.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Everything said in these 7 pages about the hate and dislike for Tennessee does not come close to how much I despise and loathe anything auburn.
From what I have gathered over the years, the comparison between hatred of Tennessee and Auburn mostly depends on age and geography. Ironically based on those two things I should hate Auburn way worse than Tennessee since I'm 30 and I live in a town closer to Auburn with a lot of Auburn alumnus.

But I don't hate Auburn as much mostly because of the 1995 TSIO and the streak afterwards. No I didn't go to the game, but good lord I remember it. My yankee great uncle decided to visit that weekend, he had no team to cheer for, and he was a complete butt during a blowout. He had the worst of Yankee manners that night if you catch my drift. Then you had the Peyton striking up the band and that dumb little chant they stole from Ohio State (even though we kinda stole Rammer Jammer allegedly from Ole Miss the way Ole Miss tells it). Added by the Phil Fulmer episode, I only wish the worst for Tennessee. Auburn Ive found myself pulling for them 11 (10 vs Rocky Top) times in my life, Ive found myself pulling for Nebraska 4 times in my life, and Tennessee a whopping 0.

I strongly dislike Auburn, but I absolutely HATE Tennessee.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Many years ago (96-97) when I was trying to decide where I wanted to go to school to study architecture, I looked into going to 11RC. I even went as far as to visit the school. They were more interested in telling me awesome the football team was rather than the architecture department. I immediately crossed them off the list. I wasn’t that impressed with the architecture department anyway. The one thing they did do was convince me to go to a school that did not care about sports. My boss' daughter did choose 11RC. I guess they did not talk about the football team with her.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I hate Tennessee. A few years after I started working in Tennessee a co-worker's husband who I didn't even know sent her an email which she forwarded to me that basically said that Shula was terrible and they would own us for years and he was all kind of giddy at beating us. Soon after, Shula was fired and Coach Saban was hired and we haven't lost to them since. I would see this man every once in a while and he is much more humble now to say the least. I liked living in Tennessee for the years we did, but I hate the Vols even more because of living there. We have the Bama Mafia and all kind of crap helping us win and buy players. A lot of the fans I knew were ridiculous in their thoughts about our program.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I wish there was some way to humiliate Fulmer at halftime now that they've spit in our face by hiring him as their AD. Some way to remind the national tv audience what a scumbag he has been.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I remember hating the Vols but respecting Johnny Majors. It was a measure of how good the team was. It was on par with ND and AU at the time. Strong and bitter, but respectful. Respect flew out the window with Phil Fulmer's antics.
Yes, it was. Didn't the Phat man stab Johnny Majors in the back so that he could become Johnny's replacement? If not, maybe I'm getting dementia! "Et tu Phatimus."

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Probably a matter of geography in my case. Growing up in so. AL, I was in a small town that had a huge University of Auburn fan contingency, no 10RC fans. There were a few of the good guys there but we were a substantial minority. As a young boy, they made life miserable for us back in the 50's. Never got over that.

10RC was really not a factor until leaving my home part of the state. They were a respected enemy. U. of Auburn, despised. Enjoed whipping UT. Delighted in U. of Auburn beatdowns.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Being on the Jawga-Tn line with about a 60/40 split I have learned to hate all things related to Punkin Head Phil and their delusional eyesight that all things "norange" looks good.

I hate Tennessee. That is all I have to say about that.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"Well Eli, Smokey just came out of the tunnel, and he's about 100 yards away from me now, and if I had my deer rifle I believe I could drop him. Back to you, Eli."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
BTW they are watching and posting about this thread on their board...

"Respect flew out the window with Phil Fulmer's antics."

the only antics were Bama's major cheating. Period.
As I stated above, we had some issues, but that wasn't the issue here. If we were so bad and they were so good.....why did Fulmer have to lie and hide who he was and what he was doing?

Keep this in mind.....if Fulmer is SO INNOCENT in this, why did the SEC pass a rule prohibiting someone from doing Fulmer's shenanigans?

(To any Vol mouth breather reading this whose response is something about "Alabama controlling the SEC" or another delusional fantasy, be prepared to explain why we couldn't control the nuclear bomb schedule in 2010).

Fulmer's fax machine was humming day and night with "eyes only" memos to the SEC commish, who conveniently warned everyone except Alabama about some shady things in Memphis. If Fulmer had so damned much integrity, he'd have come right out and been a man about it.

Fulmer had integrity , UNLIKE BAMMERS. They love blaming Fulmer for THEIR Cheating and dirty recruiting.
No, we blame Fulmer for doing something that nowadays would likely get him spit canned out of the SEC.

The only antics are Bama's antics -- like the subpoena some lawyer threw at Fulmer a decade ago.
Which only happened after Fulmer decided to play his own version of "Clue" with Darth Kramer.......

We learned that was some Bama megadonor's lawyer. Fulmer didnt have 'antics' with Bama , beside whooping their butt
Do you realize an 11-year old child has never seen Tennessee beat Alabama and you have to be about twenty to have a sorta GOOD memory of it occurring?

Bama is built on lies and cheating.
Yes, Bruce Pearl was a terribly unethical scumbag we had to fire......wait a second.......

And then we had to can Donnie Tyndall, another unethical scumbag after a year.....wait a second.....

It was TENNESSEE who had to do this.......

They don’t deserve anything they have.
Spoken like someone from the "everyone gets a trophy" era.

I don’t consider them a legitimate program.
And yet we have survived that dismissal to thrive......

They deserve a penalty greater than death.
The only penalty I can think of greater than death is torture. Look in your dictionary next to the word "torture" and it says, "What Alabama does to Tennessee 365 days a year plus one more in a leap year."

A century of mediocrity...
Tennessee's next 30 for 30 on ESPN title.....

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Selma, you forgot to mention how every single allegation Fulmer made against Bama was later proven to be false in the ensuing civil suits filled by the coaches he named, resulting in - if my not-so-great memory is correct - the NCAA having to fork over more than $30 Million in damages.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
BTW they are watching and posting about this thread on their board...
Then get those toothless inbreds to explain why Phatty refused to come to Birmingham; if he was innocent, why would he worry about getting
subpoenaed?
Innocent my phat phanny. He’s a scumbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
A very enjoyable game and experience with your most natural border rival, a game steeped in tradition and pageantry. It was basically what Georgia has with Florida, and Oklahoma has with Texas. The two football programs with the most history and tradition in the Deep South, which has been very competitive over the long term and rooted in mutual respect, getting together in the third Saturday in October. You never missed it if you were an Alabama fan because you always knew when it would be.

Throughout the history of our program, we’ve lost to Tennessee more than anyone else(though most of those losses were before the modern era and when General Neyland was their coach}, and they have tested some of our best teams over the years{See 2009 and 1966}. It used to always be a ‘measuring stick’ game for us.

Last edited:

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Yes, it was. Didn't the Phat man stab Johnny Majors in the back so that he could become Johnny's replacement? If not, maybe I'm getting dementia! "Et tu Phatimus."
Yep. The poor guy (Majors) went away for heart bypass surgery and the big orange ends up with his job. That never set well with me. (Probably not with Majors, either.)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The fact that phat phil is back on the UT payroll makes my hate of all things Tennessee even greater. I think Jeremy Pruitt is stained with the puke orange now so he is not someone I wish well. I hope they wander in the wilderness for years to come! RTR!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Pre Fulmer it was a classy, hard fought , and respectful rivalry. Both teams measured their success by how they did against each other. I can remember reading articles about how this was the most respectful rivalry in the nation.

I don't think it will get back to that.... especially with Fulmer being back in the athletic department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.