What was the third Saturday in October like before Fulmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Well, mine and your experiences are vastly different, that's all I can say.

Only fan base I've ever seen that I think are collectively "bad" are LSU fans. I know there are exceptions, but most of them are rather difficult. Ask our Mods and that's why LSU fans were basically blocked from posting here. No such thing has ever happened here with other fan bases, unless it was an individual, bad apple.
Can't disagree on LSU fans. I have some LSU friends, but they go dead silent when anything Bama is mentioned, and I am certainly no braggart. I respect the program that they have down there. But when you tell an LSU fan that you support Bama? That pretty much changes the dynamics of communication. Kinda reminds me of a Syrian friend I had once. He was as balanced of a gent as any that I had ever met or worked around UNTIL.....the subject of Israeli territories came into discussion. Then a change in facial expression followed by venom. He was also a Professed Christian. He was raised that way. So I have seen what you talk about from LSU people, but also Ole Miss, Georgia, most Florida fans (but many of those just feel Florida is annointed to begin with), and most Awbun fans. Heck...I have run into a lot of Bama fans who need therapy. CPB used to encourage us to show class. Who has done that since his death? Answer is CNS by example. Also CGS. A fine gentleman.

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
This was during Fulmer : I already didn't like 10rc, but when they stood on the sidelines one year in the late 90's or early 2000's ( can't remember when ) and sang the words " WE OWN ALABAMA " replacing the words " Sweet Home Alabama " I began to loathe them severely. ;)

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Prior to the Fulmer era the Bama vs UT rivalry was the best in the SEC, one of the most followed throughout college football. With the exception of a few years here and there, the winner of The Third Saturday in October was likely the SEC champ. It was a bitter, spirited rivalry, but as I recall there was a lot of respect between the programs and its fans, unlike auburn. BTW, in those days the UT band had not introduced "Rocky Top" which now irritates the hell out of all Alabama fans.
^^^this...

I remember pep rallies before the Tennessee game when I was at Bama in the 70's and they were just as spirited if not more than the Auburn ones. There was an intense need to beat UT and beat them bad, but the rivalry was much more civil than it has been since Fulmer pulled his shenanigans...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We can all blame Fulmer if we want to but the majority of the issues were Alabama's own self inflicted problems and mis-management of the program from the time Coach Bryant retired till the hiring of Coach Saban. We did manage to win at a very high level when Coach Stallings was here but still were a lot of problems under the surface during his time.

I don't disagree with the assertion that we had problems - but I also cannot believe that it isn't obvious that conspiring with the SEC commissioner to basically get your own clean bill of health while crippling a rival and acting all righteous about it is little more than the CFB version of Elmer Gantry.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I'm 53. TSIO was hotly contested, but with some respect for the most part on both sides. the Internet and talk radio have enabled the worst fans to find a soapbox, and to hide behind anonymity. I've been treated pretty well in Knoxville on game day. Beating UT will always be important to me because of the history of this rivalry, good and bad. My son is marrying a dear young lady who grew up a Vol fan, with her dad working for the Vol network. She's good for my son, so I love her.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When we played UT at Legion Field my dad would always take me. My dad didn't seem to hate UT but it seemed like that game had a little more attention on it. They were not as disliked as the barn. My dad passed before the Fulmer era started, but I grew to actually hate that program and I still do! RTR!

utjughead

Scout Team
Nov 10, 2000
knoxville, tn
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I believe in some years, Bama wore Crimson jerseys and UT wore Orange, in the same game, which some considered apropos for that time of the year when Fall foliage is at its peak. Historically, It seems that UT generally played well on the road. I recall the close call the Vols gave Bama in 79’, which should have been a blowout, followed by some epic road victories in 83’, 85’ and 95’. Close road games as a decided underdog also occurred in 09’ and 15’. In contrast, Bama always seems to be at ease in Knoxville, and even when the Vols had some success in the 90’s and early 00’s, the wins in Knoxville were often by thin margins. In fact, I cannot recall a single time the Tide has been dominated in Knoxville. It seems Bama usually wins there, and when UT wins in Neyland, the game is tightly contested.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe I remember it differently because I was younger and it's so bad now, but it seems like there was a lot of respect - both teams knew the other was typically the other team in contention for the SEC title. That said, I think there was always a little more hatred from UT as they were always the 'inferior' team, at least when viewed over the decades. They beat Bama their fair share, but Bama won the SEC more, NCs, more, bowl games (before there were 40+), etc.

But I recall it being respectful. Fans got along and (generally) treated each other accordingly.

Then again, I could simply be remembering the august halls of my youth...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I believe in some years, Bama wore Crimson jerseys and UT wore Orange, in the same game, which some considered apropos for that time of the year when Fall foliage is at its peak.
I believe this was true at times in the past.

Historically, It seems that UT generally played well on the road. I recall the close call the Vols gave Bama in 79’, which should have been a blowout, followed by some epic road victories in 83’, 85’ and 95’. Close road games as a decided underdog also occurred in 09’ and 15’. In contrast, Bama always seems to be at ease in Knoxville, and even when the Vols had some success in the 90’s and early 00’s, the wins in Knoxville were often by thin margins. In fact, I cannot recall a single time the Tide has been dominated in Knoxville. It seems Bama usually wins there, and when UT wins in Neyland, the game is tightly contested.
UT has been good on the road, so has Bama. I believe it is more of a function that they have both had a lot of good teams. Bama has a winning record vs every SEC team as the visitor as well as the host.

Bama/UT:
Knoxville: 25-20-1
Tusc: 9-4
Bham: 21-13-7
Total: 55-37-8

IMO, the best team has usually won regardless of the location. That's one reason why there have been so many streaks of 4 or more. UT's had streaks of 4, 4, 4, 7. Bama's had streaks of 7, 4, 11, 7, ?11?

It was once a series with respect for both sides. With stakes so high now and social media, it's almost impossible to retain any civility in a competitive series because the crazies have a platform and the stakes are so high. So, even apart from Fulmer it would be tough, but with him, it's almost impossible for Bama fans. The only reason for the current "quiet atmosphere" is Bama's dominance. If it becomes competitive again, things will change.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We have moved back to Alabama from Tennessee and I must say that I don't miss listening to those fans talk about how we cheat, how we have the bama mafia and just plain ol crap that is spewed from some of their mouths. They can't seem to handle the fact that we have better players and better coaches than they do. I hate these other teams accusing us of paying to get players. Coach Saban just outworks them.

utjughead

Scout Team
Nov 10, 2000
knoxville, tn
UT used to play some good out of conference games back in the 60's and 70's . I remember watching them on TV with my dad and rooting for them to win . No more !
Vols have continued to play big regular season games outside the conference. Vols played Pitt in 80’ and 83’. That Pitt team in 80’ was one of the best I’ve ever seen, coached by Jackie Sherrill btw. Vols played Southern Cal in 80’ and 81’. Played UCLA in 84’ and 89’, and again in 96’ and 97’. Iowa in 87’ and Colorado in 90’, both in National kickoff games. Notre Dame in 90’ and 91’, and I think also in 99’, 01’, 04’ and 05’. Syracuse in 98’ and 99’. Miami in 02’ and 03’. Oklahoma in 14’ and 15’, and Oregon in a home and home just before that. UT has struggled with conference rivals over the decades, including Alabama, but has always embraced big games outside the conference. Recruiting exposure is likely a big driver behind those games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Again I'm relatively young to the rivalry, but its always been my favorite. The first one I remember is 1992. I really don't remember 93, but I remember 94. I grew up on Bama's greatest games, and had every Bama- Tennessee matchup in that series on VHS. I always loved the commentary that the former Bryant players gave on it, so I had that "Really want to beat UT" mentality growing up.

95 still sets bad with me. It was the first blowout I remember, but I remember Peyton starting up the band. Part of the reason I had this strong dislike for Manning along with the stuff that followed with DumbPhatgate. Though most of that has died down with age, and Manning is a pretty good class act.

But the streak, the suspensions, and the Tennessee players singing "We own Alabama" and the version of "I don't give a damn for the whole state of Alabama" really salted the wound. I think I will never hope for Tennessee to have any credible success ever again, or for any classic games in the series due to the Phat era. I only hope we bury them every year.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
For perspective, I was born in 1960, just 10 minutes (thankfully) South of the AL-TN border. Obviously, there was interaction with Tennessee fans due to the geography. Then there was the tradition of the rivalry that pre-dated Coach Bryant, but was very important to him. He always felt that the way Alabama played Tennessee was a defining moment of every season. I still feel that way. I see the Fulmer years as a stain on an otherwise reputable and storied rivalry. I would hate to allow the Fulmer sideshow to be allowed to be more of a stain than it already has.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
For perspective, I was born in 1960, just 10 minutes (thankfully) South of the AL-TN border. Obviously, there was interaction with Tennessee fans due to the geography. Then there was the tradition of the rivalry that pre-dated Coach Bryant, but was very important to him. He always felt that the way Alabama played Tennessee was a defining moment of every season. I still feel that way. I see the Fulmer years as a stain on an otherwise reputable and storied rivalry. I would hate to allow the Fulmer sideshow to be allowed to be more of a stain than it already has.
I agree. I grew up just a few miles from the state line as well and generally love Tennessee as a state having lived in Knoxville and Kingsport for a time. The series began in 1901 and has been played every year since 1928. It was very important to coach Bryant and that is good enough for me. It is terrible that Fulmer's participation in Alabama's misery has destroyed the beauty of the rivalry that has always marked the Fall season for generations.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Fulmer poisoned the punch at the party, so it's more than a stain on the relationship. He wasn't the only one who hated Bama, but he's the face of the problem. The fact he's now AD at UT won't let us forget that soon.

Having said that, I hate the rivalry soured. I've lived in East Tennessee and loved it and the good people there. Yes, they are strong in their passion for the Vols, but no more or less than most Bama fans.

They just hate us because they want to beat us and know we are the traditional #1 team in the SEC and they are #2.

I really would like to see them get more competitive...enough to make the game meaningful again.

Last edited:

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Fulmer poisoned the punch at the party, so it's more than a stain on the relationship. He wasn't the only one who hated Bama, but he's the face of the problem. The fact he's now AD at UT won't let us forget that soon.

Having said that, I hate the rivalry soured. I've lived in East Tennessee and loved it and the good people there. Yes, they are strong in their passion for the Vols, but no more or less than most Bama fans.

They just hate us because they want to beat us and know we are the traditional #1 team in the SEC and they are #2.

I really would like to see them get more competitive...enough to make the game meaningful again.
I've lived in Tennessee for almost all of the last 35 years. I have little bad to say about the state in general, and it has been a great place to live. There are parts of it that are among the most beautiful in the world. But the Alabama-UT rivalry will always trump everything else about Tennessee. ;-) I want to win that game against the Vols more than any on the schedule. One of my favorite stretches in the series was from 1988-1991. UT started the '88 season with 6 consecutive losses, Alabama being the 6th. Following that game, they managed to reel off 5 straight wins to finish 5-6. They then opened the '89 season with 5 straight wins before facing Alabama, only to lose again. Alabama losses were bookends with 10 wins between them. They finished '89 with 6 more wins, and in the first 6 games of '90, they were 4-0-2 until tasting defeat again at the hands of the Crimson Tide. It seemed as if nobody could beat Tennessee but Alabama, and Tennessee couldn't beat Alabama no matter what. ;-) Before the next Alabama-Tennessee game, the Vols also lost to Notre Dame and Florida, so the string was broken to a degree. As I told some UT fans that I worked with, Tennessee probably threw those games because only losing to Alabama every year was beginning to add to Alabama's mystique. :BigA:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've lived in Tennessee for almost all of the last 35 years. I have little bad to say about the state in general, and it has been a great place to live. There are parts of it that are among the most beautiful in the world. But the Alabama-UT rivalry will always trump everything else about Tennessee. ;-) I want to win that game against the Vols more than any on the schedule. One of my favorite stretches in the series was from 1988-1991. UT started the '88 season with 6 consecutive losses, Alabama being the 6th. Following that game, they managed to reel off 5 straight wins to finish 5-6. They then opened the '89 season with 5 straight wins before facing Alabama, only to lose again. Alabama losses were bookends with 10 wins between them. They finished '89 with 6 more wins, and in the first 6 games of '90, they were 4-0-2 until tasting defeat again at the hands of the Crimson Tide. It seemed as if nobody could beat Tennessee but Alabama, and Tennessee couldn't beat Alabama no matter what. ;-) Before the next Alabama-Tennessee game, the Vols also lost to Notre Dame and Florida, so the string was broken to a degree. As I told some UT fans that I worked with, Tennessee probably threw those games because only losing to Alabama every year was beginning to add to Alabama's mystique. :BigA:
To me, there's not a more beautiful memory of this rivalry than Bobby Humphrey running the sweep against UT during the 80's!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
From what I’ve heard from the old timers, it was like the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry. The two top teams in their conference and the winner usually won their conference or they shared. Divisional play and Phil have taken the drakes out of it but it’s a rivalry to me. However I’ve shadowed many Vol boards and most fans 45 and under seem to hate Florida more and consider them a bigger rival than Alabama. Their old timers are a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.