Last Chance U (College-Football Related) New Season Starts On The 20th

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For all his delusions of grandeur, he only completed 53% of his passes and both of their losses were with him under center. They won their last 2 games, including the only bowl victory in the history of the program, with their #3 QB under center.
Sort of makes you wonder what he did to get dismissed from FSU.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
After two seasons of Buddy Stevens, I was ready to see a new coach. Then I got that. This guy is worse, in my opinion. All of Buddy's attitude without his coaching ability. I couldn't stand that guy at all. I know controversy sells, but I kinda wish they would just give us a respectable coach who does it the right way, can be a disciplinarian without being a bully, knows how to coach players with what is best for their future in mind, etc.

As far as the teacher, I could tell she cared for her kids, but to me, too much of her talk, at least what we saw, was about African Americans and not about just Americans.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
After two seasons of Buddy Stevens, I was ready to see a new coach. Then I got that. This guy is worse, in my opinion. All of Buddy's attitude without his coaching ability. I couldn't stand that guy at all. I know controversy sells, but I kinda wish they would just give us a respectable coach who does it the right way, can be a disciplinarian without being a bully, knows how to coach players with what is best for their future in mind, etc.

As far as the teacher, I could tell she cared for her kids, but to me, too much of her talk, at least what we saw, was about African Americans and not about just Americans.
I'm not going to get off the subject.. but I felt like this needs to be addressed. Look at the majority of the kids in her classroom, and most of them do not know their history, their culture and all of that. So it is necessary for her to stress the importance of the black culture to the players and get to understand that it's not all just sports, Money and rap music. All of my black teachers from high school to college have done same thing she did, and because of that, I now appreciate my history, my culture and I have better understanding of why I'm here, and I plan to pass it on to my kids as well. All I'm saying is don't knock on her teaching style... she has a reason for doing that and she's doing it well.

Okay back to football subject :) Sorry I just had to chime in on that. I apologize to the moderators. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not going to get off the subject.. but I felt like this needs to be addressed. Look at the majority of the kids in her classroom, and most of them do not know their history, their culture and all of that. So it is necessary for her to stress the importance of the black culture to the players and get to understand that it's not all just sports, Money and rap music. All of my black teachers from high school to college have done same thing she did, and because of that, I now appreciate my history, my culture and I have better understanding of why I'm here, and I plan to pass it on to my kids as well. All I'm saying is don't knock on her teaching style... she has a reason for doing that and she's doing it well.

Okay back to football subject :) Sorry I just had to chime in on that. I apologize to the moderators. :)
I think that this is totally relevant. She was trying to get these kids to see themselves in an entirely different light. It is a shame that the kids didn't get it, and likely never will. They have set limits on themselves in every area other than sports. They need to see themselves as more than athletes.

A number of kids said that they only had a few possible outcomes in their lives - make it as athletes, or end up in jail or dead. That is what she was trying to overcome.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I finished the season. It's better not knowing how the sausage is made. Good grief, that was depressing !
I haven't watched any of it, and don't plan to.

This is the dark underbelly of the industry.

A LOT of major industries have dark sides. Apple and Nike (and many others) love to present sparkling clean images.... and neither talks a lot about the Chinese factories where near-slave labor makes their goods, or the suppliers' goods.. Social media giants like Google, Twitter and Farcebook, etc. try to be all "PC" and "Socially conscious", but none likes to talk about the money they make selling your personal data, or the censorship they all practice against people they disagree with....

CFB is no different. Football's dark side is the numerous players who are sold a "bill of goods" starting in Grade School, and wind up Crashing and Burning once they leave the cocoon of their enablers. Many (though NOT ALL) of the most physically gifted athletes coming out of HS these days seem to be more and more emotionally and academically impaired with every passing year. But the major Football "Factory" schools can make MILLIONS of each of these guys - IF they can keep them out of jail and out of the newspapers. (and keep them "Eligible").

Not Every major football school is willing to openly "Look The Other Way" at RAPES and Violent Assaults. Some will do it (particularly when local police and media run cover for them), Others will only do it after the "violator" goes to "Rehab" - in other words, JUCO or some version of a "Last Chance U".......

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I'm with you. When she heard student-athletes using the n-word, she took them to task for it, showing an internet photo of a lynching and the casket photo of Emmet Till. The players did not like it, but she was right. I like her and her style. She appears pretty smart and she evidently cares for the players.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
To keep this on football, I will say that Malik Henry strikes me as the stereotypical pampered football player.
Once I saw that Malik Henry's father is hovering over him, I understood a lot better.
Henry is a little talented, but nothing earth-shaking. When he walked into Arrowhead Stadium, he said something along the lines of "This is where I belong."
He strikes me as an adequate Div. II player. If he's smart, he will focus on his academics and use football to get an education, because the likelihood of this kid playing in the NFL seems remote.
The defensive player, Emmett Gooden, appears talented, but he has an unfortunate tendency to hit opposing players late. He piled onto a sliding QB and again onto a RB, resulting in 15 yards and a first down for his opponents. For his sake, I hope he gets over that tendency at Tennessee.
Rakeem Boyd looked pretty solid.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
To keep this on football, I will say that Malik Henry strikes me as the stereotypical pampered football player.
Once I saw that Malik Henry's father is hovering over him, I understood a lot better.
Henry is a little talented, but nothing earth-shaking. When he walked into Arrowhead Stadium, he said something along the lines of "This is where I belong."
He strikes me as an adequate Div. II player. If he's smart, he will focus on his academics and use football to get an education, because the likelihood of this kid playing in the NFL seems remote.
The defensive player, Emmett Gooden, appears talented, but he has an unfortunate tendency to hit opposing players late. He piled onto a sliding QB and again onto a RB, resulting in 15 yards and a first down for his opponents. For his sake, I hope he gets over that tendency at Tennessee.
Rakeem Boyd looked pretty solid.
I actually agree but thought he seemed to have a pretty good mind when it comes to the game. Almost like he could make a decent coach if he ever got his attitude right. I hope he gets his head right and makes the most of his potential.

I think one thing that was telling about the coach, to get back to that, was the game where they were leading late, pinned deep with little time left, and a player had to recommend to the coach that he take a safety rather than try to punt out of that position. It was a good choice, but sad that he didn't think of it and a player had to.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
if I remember correctly, Malik Henry haven't signed. He is probably going to sign with DII school, and that's a stretch there.
He actually has 5 offers from P5 schools - one is Ole Miss. But he doesn't like any of those schools and expects something better to come along. :rolleyes:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think one thing that was telling about the coach, to get back to that, was the game where they were leading late, pinned deep with little time left, and a player had to recommend to the coach that he take a safety rather than try to punt out of that position. It was a good choice, but sad that he didn't think of it and a player had to.
My HS coach was a much better coach than the guy on the show. He was a leader who got more out of his players because they trusted him and were willing to die for him on the field. This guy was barely able to get guys to practice. I get that some of this was a result of the prima dona players on his team, but the rest lands at his feet.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
My HS coach was a much better coach than the guy on the show. He was a leader who got more out of his players because they trusted him and were willing to die for him on the field. This guy was barely able to get guys to practice. I get that some of this was a result of the prima dona players on his team, but the rest lands at his feet.
I would not have wanted to play for him. And I would not even have considered coaching for him. Did you see the way he talked to his assistant coaches at times? Even their athletic director or maybe it was the school president made a comment about how they just aren't that way in Kansas. I don't think being that belligerent belongs anywhere in the game. I know it is real and happens, but he was abusive. I know Buddy could do it that way too, and it made you sick to see it sometimes. But at least he knew what he was doing. I wish Netflix would give us a team we might want to like.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I actually agree but thought he seemed to have a pretty good mind when it comes to the game. Almost like he could make a decent coach if he ever got his attitude right. I hope he gets his head right and makes the most of his potential.
Agreed. The QB was coaching his coach during the 3rd overtime, which was fairly impressive. And what Malik was recommending turned out to be right and how they won the game.
If I recall correctly, in that same game up 27-14 with 4:50 to play and with the ball, everyone around the coach was saying run the ball, eat some clock but he called a deep pass, resulting in a pick, which allowed the other team to get back into the game. Very aggressive play call, but not very smart. Run the ball three times and you take 2:15 off the game clock (4:50 left at that point if I remember correctly). 2:35 is not much time if you are down 13 points.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The guy I am really pulling for is Center Kerry Buckmaster.
He accepted an offer to play at Div. 2 Lindenwood (St. Louis).
Buckmaster seemed like a decent kid and, goodness, he came from a disadvantaged background. Hope he gets his degree and, if he wants it, a shot at the NFL (although this will be a long shot).

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Agreed. The QB was coaching his coach during the 3rd overtime, which was fairly impressive. And what Malik was recommending turned out to be right and how they won the game.

If I recall correctly, in that same game up 27-14 with 4:50 to play and with the ball, everyone around the coach was saying run the ball, eat some clock but he called a deep pass, resulting in a pick, which allowed the other team to get back into the game. Very aggressive play call, but not very smart. Run the ball three times and you take 2:15 off the game clock (4:50 left at that point if I remember correctly). 2:35 is not much time if you are down 13 points.
I am almost certain you are right about that. And one of the, I am assuming, coaches specifically said they needed to run and play D, but the coach turned and yelled for that person to shut the **** up. Then the INT happened, and he changed his tune "My bad. I should have run the ball." No, you shouldn't have been in the position to make that call at all. You have no clue what you are doing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am almost certain you are right about that. And one of the, I am assuming, coaches specifically said they needed to run and play D, but the coach turned and yelled for that person to shut the **** up. Then the INT happened, and he changed his tune "My bad. I should have run the ball." No, you shouldn't have been in the position to make that call at all. You have no clue what you are doing.
It's funny but there is something about a turnover that seems to give life to the other team. A fumble or interception and an offense that has been moribund all game long will suddenly come to life. It's one of the things I like about football. And one of the things I hate about turnovers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.