Last Chance U (College-Football Related) New Season Starts On The 20th

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Most of these kids are cursed to be a 98th-percentile athlete. Compared to you or me, they are amazing, just amazing, but unfortunately they have enough juice to convince themselves they are on the cusp of a multi-million dollar career. But they aren't, and they won't, and it distracts them from what might be a good life in a white- or blue-collar job as an engineer, sales rep, plumber, insurance agent. We don't all get to become Anthony Averett's.

I enjoyed the first season, and somewhat the second season (which I suspect they did only because of the big punchup just before the end of the first season). Plus, Wagner was a scene-stealer every time she showed up, and made it all worthwhile. I heard that a couple of kids from the show got busted for murder - what a shame. I'll start on season 3 and see how it turns out.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
really enjoyed the EMCC & Life After episode..hoping they go elsewhere if they do another season..the point in the last episode watching Malik while his dad is talking at a table while eating was cringe worthy..

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
really enjoyed the EMCC & Life After episode..hoping they go elsewhere if they do another season..the point in the last episode watching Malik while his dad is talking at a table while eating was cringe worthy..
That reminded me of Bobby Boucher's father from the film The Waterboy. Dude abandons his family. Once Jr. appears to have some football talent, Dad shows back up in the kid's life, perhaps to cash in.
I agree, cringe-worthy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm almost done with the show. I have two episode left. Few things that stood out the most to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Malik Henry- Extremely talented and would've done well at SEC Schools. High Football IQ. Doesn't respect authority. He would be better off returning to Independence for another year and work on his attitude issue. Fix it and he will receive ton of offers. His issue is mostly with his dad. If he can find a happy medium, he will be okay. Otherwise, it's going to be rough for him long term wise.

Rakeem Boyd- I'm impressed with his game. He will do well at Arkansas. I hope he matured enough to be successful.

Calvin Jackson- He's money on the field. I Love his game. Felt like he should've had better offers.

Delrick Abrams Jr- Kid will be special. Has a shot at NFL.

Emmit Gooden- Pruitt will be on him about late hits. Kid will be real good and will be fine at Tennessee.

Carlo Thompson- I feel bad for him, but If he plays well, who knows? I love his leadership.

Kingston Davis- I feel he needs to work on his maturity and his mental aspect of the game. Should've stayed at Independence, but It'll be interesting to see how he does with UAB.

Bobby Bruce-This kid has lot of issues... possibly battling Depression. His future doesn't look good at all, given that he was arrested over the summer for burglary over the summer. He won't be back at Independence this fall. Some people you can't help.

Kerry Buckmaster- Proud of the kid.

Coach Brown- There are lot of things he needs to work on for him to move up in Coaching ranking. He can't do all those things he did last year. He's a great motivator, but average coach. HE's not organized in playcalling, has control issues. he is not humbled at all. He has lot to grow up and I don't think he will do that for a while.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Malik Henry- Extremely talented and would've done well at SEC Schools. High Football IQ. Doesn't respect authority. He would be better off returning to Independence for another year and work on his attitude issue. Fix it and he will receive ton of offers. His issue is mostly with his dad. If he can find a happy medium, he will be okay. Otherwise, it's going to be rough for him long term wise.
Agree on all except Malik Henry. I am not impressed with his talent. He completed 53% of his passes (some nice throws, and then some bewildering misses). He's way too skinny for the SEC. Gotta fix the attitude. Good football IQ though. He will make a decent coach one day.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Agree on all except Malik Henry. I am not impressed with his talent. He completed 53% of his passes (some nice throws, and then some bewildering misses). He's way too skinny for the SEC. Gotta fix the attitude. Good football IQ though. He will make a decent coach one day.
I considered that. But you have to remember that Buckmaster was out for few games and they had a freshmen at Center. On top of that, Brown playcalling has been erratic as well. So, you have to kinda consider the factors involved. I've heard of rumors of what Henry was doing while at ICC, but I won't get into details. It may explain the weight. He seem to improve toward the end of season, so I want to see him build on that and see what happens.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's crystal clear to me that Henry has a mental disorder (i.e. anxiety, depression) that hasn't been addressed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It's crystal clear to me that Henry has a mental disorder (i.e. anxiety, depression) that hasn't been addressed.
I hope he gets treatment then.
If I was his father, I would not want him around a coach like Jason Brown. That's just an unhealthy environment. Coach Saban is demanding, but I have never heard CNS make any game about him personally, not even LSU 2007 & 2008, when LSU faithful tried to make it about Coach Saban.

Come to think of it, this whole series (all three seasons) have made me even happier that we have Coach Saban at the helm in Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In the last episode, as Henry's dad talked about plan for him to put on weight, improve his speed, Malik had that look on his face and I knew right there he was done with football. I felt bad for him at that moment.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm 1.5 episodes in. The coach has the pottiest potty mouth I think I've ever heard. I've reduced my personal cussing to almost zero, and feel better for it, and wouldn't lecture anyone else on how they choose to speak - but alternating actionable dictionary-safe words with forum-banned expletives consumes time and energy, while providing nothing in return, and rapidly loses its impact. And, it is so pervasive, and from an authority figure, that I can't watch this show with the kids around.

In addition - spoiler alert - after 1.5 episodes it seems that the coach might not be able to live up to his self-evaluation as an offensive guru/qb whisperer. His run-through-walls shtick in the hot-tub seemed sadly out of touch when it met an actual wall, 10 minutes later.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm 1.5 episodes in. The coach has the pottiest potty mouth I think I've ever heard. I've reduced my personal cussing to almost zero, and feel better for it, and wouldn't lecture anyone else on how they choose to speak - but alternating actionable dictionary-safe words with forum-banned expletives consumes time and energy, while providing nothing in return, and rapidly loses its impact. And, it is so pervasive, and from an authority figure, that I can't watch this show with the kids around.

In addition - spoiler alert - after 1.5 episodes it seems that the coach might not be able to live up to his self-evaluation as an offensive guru/qb whisperer. His run-through-walls shtick in the hot-tub seemed sadly out of touch when it met an actual wall, 10 minutes later.
I think it is his schtick of being a "white kid from Compton," but yes, it loses it's impact after a while and just seems to indicate a limited vocabulary.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Did you really expect anything different?

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Did you really expect anything different?
According to the Guinness Book of Records, the movie with the highest rate of expletives has 2.81 occurrences per minute. This series might be double that, and perhaps 30 per minute or more when he gets on a roll. So no, I didnt expect that.

The previous coach swore a lot, but it was an order of magnitude less. That's more-or-less what I was expecting. Hey, there is no doubt that Saban cusses on the side-lines, it is a part of the game, it's a tough man's game, it's tolerable, not trying to be holier than thou here.

One encouraging thing is that the kids themselves don't swear that much.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I’m halfway through the 2nd episode and it’s clear the head coach knows absolutely nothing about football or how to motivate young men. I’m shocked this guy has ever won a game as a coach.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I’m halfway through the 2nd episode and it’s clear the head coach knows absolutely nothing about football or how to motivate young men. I’m shocked this guy has ever won a game as a coach.
He can recruit.
I think he has said as much.

Heck Barry Switzer won a national championship did he not?

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Made it through half an episode. Too many f-bombs for me. I’ll sit this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.