Last Chance U (College-Football Related) New Season Starts On The 20th

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I watched the first season from East Mississippi and couldn't watch anymore. The unceasing bad language was more than I could handle. The dumbness of the players' actions also really irritated me. Even the good stories always had some caveat. The academic adviser lady was the hero of that show.

The other side of me says, well, it is "Last chance U" where guys are going to get them straight because they royally screwed up their previous chance(s) so they deserve the tongue lashings.

Regardless you can't tell a kid (especially a German one) that you're his "new Hitler!" But, what about the coach's 2nd chance? Ironic that we want everybody having multiple chances these days for all kinds of illegal and illicit and stupid activities, yet we don't allow a coach to say mea culpa and move on. I'm torn on the proper response. It's obvious he was fed up with the kid in question. Maybe the stupidity of putting it on a text rather than just yelling at him is what matters? I don't know. Generally I do not like us taking kids who come from these programs because of the problems they've had in the past, yet some of our past players HAVE figured it out after going somewhere like this.

Those are my rambling, incoherent, inconsistent thoughts on the Last Chance U's of the world. :D
Jason Brown was on, at least, his second chance already.

If you thought Buddy Stephenson and EMCC was bad, you wouldn't have been able to make it through the first episode of this guy. IIRC, the first minute or two of the season included multiple F bombs.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Jason Brown was on, at least, his second chance already.

If you thought Buddy Stephenson and EMCC was bad, you wouldn't have been able to make it through the first episode of this guy. IIRC, the first minute or two of the season included multiple F bombs.
Rumor has it the XFL has been trying to pursue JB.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Quentin Tarantino thinks Brown's vocabulary is excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Season 4 just hit Netflix.
No spoilers (at least none from me), but Coach Jason Brown is the same as he was last year. Foul-mouthed and not a very good person.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Season 4 just hit Netflix.
No spoilers (at least none from me), but Coach Jason Brown is the same as he was last year. Foul-mouthed and not a very good person.
Watching Episode 1 now. I already know how their seasons winds up, and what happens to their head coach after the season, but I watch these because the players' stories are so human.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Watching Episode 1 now. I already know how their seasons winds up, and what happens to their head coach after the season, but I watch these because the players' stories are so human.
The attitude was interesting.
One of the players (Bobby Bruce) was dismissed for being videotaped going into a dorm room that was not his and then leaving with a plastic bag of something and the student whose room it was said $250 was missing.
One of Bruce's teammates said, "Dude [messes] up one time and he's gone."
I was thinking, isn't this "Last Chance U" not 'First Chance U?"
It is not difficult. "Don't take stuff that does not belong to you." Don't go into rooms that are not yours and you won't be accused of taking things that do not belong to you. Fairly simple. I feel bad for the kid, but nobody is at Independence CC because he was a choir boy.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The attitude was interesting.
One of the players (Bobby Bruce) was dismissed for being videotaped going into a dorm room that was not his and then leaving with a plastic bag of something and the student whose room it was said $250 was missing.
One of Bruce's teammates said, "Dude [messes] up one time and he's gone."
I was thinking, isn't this "Last Chance U" not 'First Chance U?"
It is not difficult. "Don't take stuff that does not belong to you." Don't go into rooms that are not yours and you won't be accused of taking things that do not belong to you. Fairly simple. I feel bad for the kid, but nobody is at Independence CC because he was a choir boy.
It is a human story, but I don't feel bad for him. He has a supportive family and friends on campus trying to help him, and a kid on the way to motivate him. His story is interesting, maybe even compelling, but I feel much worse for the kids doing everything in their power to succeed and still falling short. But that is what "Last Chance U" is about - some kids with a last chance at football, but most are kids using their last chance at becoming a productive member of society.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is a human story, but I don't feel bad for him. He has a supportive family and friends on campus trying to help him, and a kid on the way to motivate him. His story is interesting, maybe even compelling, but I feel much worse for the kids doing everything in their power to succeed and still falling short. But that is what "Last Chance U" is about - some kids with a last chance at football, but most are kids using their last chance at becoming a productive member of society.
I continue to be amazed by the players' attitude towards education. Most of these players are not going to go to the NFL. Some will, but most won't. Even those who are talented enough, are one play away from not being able to play football any more. e.g. Tyrone Prothro and Marcus Lattimore. Then the question will be, what has football done to prepare you for life? How much education did you get? Once you get the degree, no one will ever be able to take it away from you. What has been your approach to getting your education?
All football players have to display resilience and perseverance through difficulties (summer work-outs, getting behind in a football game, persevering through injuries.
When they hit a tiny difficulty in the classroom, these cats fold like a house of cards. Maybe in their past experiences, this somebody would swoop in and tell the teacher, "This young man wins a 4.2 forty. Give him a pass on this paper."
It is strange to me to see young men who have overcome lots of challenges just throw their hands up at the first sign of an academic challenge.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I continue to be amazed by the players' attitude towards education. Most of these players are not going to go to the NFL. Some will, but most won't. Even those who are talented enough, are one play away from not being able to play football any more. e.g. Tyrone Prothro and Marcus Lattimore. Then the question will be, what has football done to prepare you for life? How much education did you get? Once you get the degree, no one will ever be able to take it away from you. What has been your approach to getting your education?
While it's undeniable that this is true with some student athletes, I do feel that the series highlights this to kind of shape a story. But there's not enough time given to the athletes who have absolutely no problem with academics (John Franklin in Season 1, Dakota Allen and Chauncey Rivers Season 2, and Jay Jones this season). Like most things, it's not a binary topic.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
While it's undeniable that this is true with some student athletes, I do feel that the series highlights this to kind of shape a story. But there's not enough time given to the athletes who have absolutely no problem with academics (John Franklin in Season 1, Dakota Allen and Chauncey Rivers Season 2, and Jay Jones this season). Like most things, it's not a binary topic.
I agree. The series emphasizes troubled students.
We've had players at Alabama who played football at a very high level and achieved academically as well. (GMac and Damien H. come readily to mind). These are young men who can walk and chew gum at the same time and do both at a high level. I guess not everybody can, but when I see college football players deal with extreme physical and emotional challenges, yet fold in the face of the slightest academic challenge, it makes me curious.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.